***NSXPO 2024 CARAVAN***

Folks-

It's about that time to start figuring out the caravan to NSXPO. I will not be taking the Zero to the track event, but plan on being there for the entire social. It's a 12-hour drive, so I'm thinking two options:

(1) STRAIGHT SHOT (10/24)

We assemble the caravan and hit I-25 South near Ridgegate no later than 5:00 AM on 24 OCT. This puts us at the conference hotel between 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM local time, assuming quick fuel stops and no traffic. It's not clear to me when the evening social event starts, but it's probably cutting it close. Also, I don't know how social we're all going to feel after a 12-hour marathon drive. :)

(2) SPLIT TRIP (10/23 - 24)

We assemble the caravan and hit I-25 South near Ridgegate no later than 11:00 AM on 23 OCT. There is a hotel in Amarillo that looks nice about 6 hours away. It's on the outskirts of town to not in the middle of the city and likely safer with less theft/vandalism potential. We should get there around 7:00 PM. Get up early and complete the next 6 hour leg to arrive at the conference hotel in the early afternoon. This might allow us to participate in the parade lap at the track. It will also give us time to clean up, wash the cars and relax before the social kickoff event.

I'm leaning toward the split trip because it seems more relaxing.

For the caravan itself, here are my initial thoughts:
  • Lead car should have cruise control
  • Cruise speed 75-85 mph (to make it easy on those of use with the NSX-R final drive!)
  • I have 3 walkie-talkies. One for the lead car, one for the rear car and one for me. :) We may be able to sync them if someone else wants to bring more for other drivers depending on the size of the convoy.
  • We'll need at least one fuel stop. Those of us with modded engines are probably going to burn more gas then the full OEM guys.
  • Formation flying. Keep enough gap between cars to minimize road grit damage but not too much that other cars can get between us.
  • Avoid night driving. Critters run out on the road and it would ruin the trip real fast if a NSX hit a deer.
  • We maybe can merge with other groups heading East from the West coast south of Amarillo.
Screenshot 2024-08-01 101743.png

Last edited:
I would love to join the caravan, but I am heading down on the 15th...taking the opportunity to head down to Austin the weekend prior for the United States Grand Prix at COTA.

But here is some "food for thought" on your "primary route" - that is not Interstate...it is a nice road having driven that way to Dallas before, but you are going to run into small towns every 20 miles or so after you depart I-25 after going through the Raton pass.

When I go down (I'm doing 15-16 October to Austin/San Antonio), I'm actually going your alternate route to stay on Interstates the majority of the way. First day to Stillwater, OK. Second day down to Austin/San Antonio.

I would love to join the caravan, but I am heading down on the 15th...taking the opportunity to head down to Austin the weekend prior for the United States Grand Prix at COTA.

But here is some "food for thought" on your "primary route" - that is not Interstate...it is a nice road having driven that way to Dallas before, but you are going to run into small towns every 20 miles or so after you depart I-25 after going through the Raton pass.

When I go down (I'm doing 15-16 October to Austin/San Antonio), I'm actually going your alternate route to stay on Interstates the majority of the way. First day to Stillwater, OK. Second day down to Austin/San Antonio.
Great points! Looks like the Kansas (I-70) route is 30 minutes longer, but is 100% Interstate so it might end up being shorter. The "halfway point" is Salina, KS and it looks like there are plenty of motels around. I just worry about the weather, which is why I was pointing the caravan South!

Great points! Looks like the Kansas (I-70) route is 30 minutes longer, but is 100% Interstate so it might end up being shorter. The "halfway point" is Salina, KS and it looks like there are plenty of motels around. I just worry about the weather, which is why I was pointing the caravan South!
I would consider doing an extra 1-1:15 on the first day and spend the night in Wichita, KS. More hotels, and sets you up for a easy 5 hours down to Grapevine, TX (DFW/host hotel location). After you leave Denver, you will have no major metro areas on day 1, regardless of where you stop (Salina or Wichita). But on day 2, you will have both Oklahoma City and the DFW area. What looks like a 5 hour drive on Google today, can rapidly become a 6-7 hour drive depending on any traffic in those two larger metro areas.

And I understand the concern with weather...that is one of the concerns I always have when considering going to NSX WestFest in mid-May...you never know when bad weather can cause issues in the mountains. That said, normally, Kansas doesn't get snow in mid/late October...but if they do, then one has to also be concerned with snow/bad weather in the Raton Pass as well.

I made hotel reservations with the ability to cancel on 1 or 2 days notice without penalty. That allows me flexibility to change my travel plans within the window of a reasonably accurate weather forecast for the Raton Pass and going across Kansas.

The "upside" to Salina is I think it is a little "safer" than Wichita...I know there is a Courtyard and a Fairfield Inn if Marriott is your hotel brand of choice...and the rates aren't bad, and if Hilton is your choice (and the host hotel is a Hilton property, so make sure you join Hilton Honors if going to NSXPO), then there is a Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, and a Homewood Suites...

But in the consideration, I know security of the vehicles is one of your concerns - and I suspect Salina will be a bit more secure...but that is just a hunch...

Back