NSXPO 2011 @ NJMP / Helmet rule

[Mods, if I have posted incorrectly, please move or delete]

Folks:

Please note the following:

NJMP new policy on helmets states that all drivers (HPDE, Instructors, TT and Racers) MUST USE full face helmets at the facility. This is a NJMP rule and does not apply to the other tracks where we ["we" refers to NASA] run events. This rule is directed by the NJ Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations Chapter 62 section 13:62-3.6 All the rules for NJMP are available on their website www.njmotorsportspark.com This rule applies to all passengers as well.

I thought I would post this as an FYI for all since it is buried inside NJMP's website.

they may be... hmmmm..we can probably fashion a face/chin piece outa duct tape,will look good from 50 ft.:tongue:

There has been a discussion regarding the club purchasing some newer closed faced helmets for use at track events as a few suppliers put together some good deals for club purchases. I believe on Motorsportsreg.com website under the NSXCA track event we do mention that we plan on having a few loaner helmets available. Of course we can't guarantee that they'll fit you . . .

any regulations for the helmet?

I have a full face Polaris Helmet for my Atv/Snowmobile?

NJMP will accept both M and S rated Snell helmets with 2005 or 2010 certifications. I'm not familiar with Snowmobile helmets. Do they have either of these ratings?

The M helmets do not have a fireresistent (typically nomex) lining where the SA rated helmets do. Nomex linings can be purchased to use with an M rated helmets.

I can understand not wanting to plunk down $300 or $400 (or more) for another helmet, though remember what it is protecting. If you think you might be doing other track events then you might want to consider purchasing a 2005 helmet which are fairly well priced otherwise, we will have some loaner helmets.

We won't let the lack of helmet keep you off the track so PM me if you think this will be a problem. We want you at the track!

Last edited:
If you think you might be doing other track events then you might want to consider purchasing a 2005 helmet which are fairly well priced
Just keep in mind that helmet ratings are usually good for about 11 years after their rating. So even though you can find some leftover SA2005 helmets with slight discounts, you probably will not be able to use them after 2015 or 2016, whereas if you buy the SA2010 helmets that are currently available, you will be able to use them five years past that point.

No as it must be a newer helmet. For others who wonder what we are talking about there is a certification sticker inside the helmet, that can be difficult to find, that needs to state Snell 2005 or Snell 2010 with a 'M' rating for motorcycle use and a 'SA' rating for car use.

If others are in this situation where you have Closed Faced Helmets (part of the helmet goes across your chin) that are either M 2000 or SA 2000, could you pm me.

Thanks.

Ken or others can probably expand on this, but the newer helmets may offer additional protection that an older helmet didn't and the safety quality of the helmet may be reduced over time (?). I'm relating from my mountain biking helmet experience. If you've ever had a fall or impact with your helmet, then a new helmet is probably a good idea (again relating from MB exp). SA rated helmets, since are often used in a closed vehicle will include additional venting for increased comfort. A M rated motorcycle helmet doesn't typically have to worry as much about venting since they are exposed to the wind.

Last edited:
The NJMP goes by what is called Chapter 62 which is a NJ State Police regulation:

§ 13:62-3.6 Helmets and eye protection
(a) All drivers shall wear a properly secured, full face helmet, with face shield, which meets or exceeds Snell Memorial Foundation Testing Standards M or SA, incorporated by reference herein, as may be amended and supplemented, which has not reached the expiration date established by the Snell Memorial Foundation at the time of the event. The standards are available from the Snell Memorial Foundation, 3628 Madison Avenue, Suite 11, North Highlands, CA 95660.
A Nomex, or similar fire-resistant head sock is recommended to be worn in conjunction with the use of the full face helmet with shield. The use of open face helmets and goggles shall be
prohibited.
(b) "M" (Motorcycle) Snell rated helmets may be used in all motorcycle events and automobile events where fire ratings are not required.
(c) "SA" (Auto Special Application) Snell fire-rated helmets shall be used in all other applications.
(d) Helmets shall not be required under certain instructional and guided tour events where the maximum speed on the track shall not exceed 55 miles per hour.
(e) All helmets used by riders on motorcycles and open air race cars shall be full-faced and shall be worn with the visor in the closed position while on the track, the above rating and
standards not withstanding.
(f) (Reserved)

I underlined and highlighted the relevant sentences.

I believe the explanation that Ken (nsxtasy) posted as refers to the time period from certification date (11 years) is correct. This was mentioned to me at a speed shop when I bought a helmet a few years ago.

However, Pooh earlier posted that NJMP will accept both M and S helmets with 2005 or 2010 certifications only. Obviously this means that NJMP will not accept the older 2000 certification even though the certification may still be good for part of 2011.

The track accepts the 2000 certification for this year, but most other car clubs are not (which may be part of their insurance requirements which we haven't received yet) which is in part why we are not.

Again, if this affects you and you weren't planning on buying a helmet anyway because you've grown oh so tired of boring white, then pm me.

Flat black is really cool (well not in temperature, but . . . )

For others who wonder what we are talking about there is a certification sticker inside the helmet, that can be difficult to find, that needs to state Snell 2005 or Snell 2010 with a 'M' rating for motorcycle use and a 'SA' rating for car use.
If you'd like to see what the sticker looks like (so you know what to look for), click here.

Ken or others can probably expand on this, but the newer helmets may offer additional protection that an older helmet didn't and the safety quality of the helmet may be reduced over time (?).
It's not a matter of the safety being reduced over time, but rather, that the helmet standards improving each time they are issued every five years.

I believe the explanation that Ken (nsxtasy) posted as refers to the time period from certification date (11 years) is correct. This was mentioned to me at a speed shop when I bought a helmet a few years ago.

However, Pooh earlier posted that NJMP will accept both M and S helmets with 2005 or 2010 certifications only. Obviously this means that NJMP will not accept the older 2000 certification even though the certification may still be good for part of 2011.
Just in case anyone is wondering, "why 11 years?", here's why. The Snell standards are issued every five years, usually some time in the year in which they're named (so the SA2010 certification standard was issued last year). Most tracks and most organizations running amateur track events require that helmets be certified with either of the two most recent standards. Typically such groups allow the previous standard an extra year after a given standard is finalized, to give the new helmets time to become widely available and to give people a chance to buy them. So some groups are probably still allowing 2000 certification during 2011 but probably none will allow it in 2012. Hence 11 years.

I have a spare m2000 lying around.

Alright, it seems as though my M2000 is a loss. :frown:

So does the NSXCA have any connections that offer discounts on SA2010 Honda helmets. At least I can explain to the wife why I have to have a new helmet. :biggrin:

I surveyed the clubs around here and specifically those running at NJMP; it seems that about 50% are allowing the SA2000 for this year only. IF, please notice the 'if', the track insurance allows it AND the club agrees, you might be able to use your 2000 Helmet for this year only.

We're waiting on the insurance company now and will post once we know more. If you've already bought your helmet, then I guess you can feel safe that you will be sporting the newest technology for your head and feel good that you are helping our economy.:tongue:

There are venders that will give you a club discount and once I'm home I'll look those up for you should you want to protect your noggin in the best manner possible (I know, I know, Helmets are not cheap)

Alright, it seems as though my M2000 is a loss. :frown:

So does the NSXCA have any connections that offer discounts on SA2010 Honda helmets. At least I can explain to the wife why I have to have a new helmet. :biggrin:

If you didn't see this revision previously:

SA2000 open or closed faced helmets are now being accepted by NJMP If you want to use one of the club's loaner helmets, please email me at [email protected]. We can't guarantee sizing or that we'll have a helmet for you, but we can do our best to set one aside.

Please go to NSXPO2011.com for the most up-to-date information on either the track or social part of the event. Use the link on the track page to access the NSXPO2011 track event on Motorsportreg.com.

Those two sites are where ALL IMPORTANT announcemnts will be made. We try to post on Prime regarding answering folks questions, but go to NSXPO2011.com for all the scoop.

Thanks!

Registration for the Social Event is now open. Discounted Track pricing is available only thorugh July 24th. Register NOW!

quick question about the track event... is it possible at all to bring an interested friend who is not an owner/NSXCA member? assume no, but wanted to ask. I have a 911 buddy who was very interested and we were thinking if it's possible we'd go together.

I believe the track is open. We are bringing the Noble and NSX. Possibly a 911.

quick question about the track event... is it possible at all to bring an interested friend who is not an owner/NSXCA member? assume no, but wanted to ask. I have a 911 buddy who was very interested and we were thinking if it's possible we'd go together.

Yes. Sign up now and he gets our discounted early bird rate for the track event.

Back