NSXCA radios?

I'm trying to find a good radio ahead of NSXPO 2013 and I'm confused about several things. There is some good info here: http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/NSXCA_Radios but then is just gets confusing.

1) The list mentions several older radio models that might not be compliant with the new FCC standards that applied starting January 1, 2013. Does this mean that we shouldn't be looking for the older models listed anymore?

2) Are there new models of radio that we should be looking for?

3) Every radio manufacturer site I'm looking at talks about how many channels their radios have and what the range is but they say nothing about the frequency. How can I check that a radio can communicate over the NSXCA's 464.55 MHz frequency?

Thanks in advance for any help.

i was looking too and made some calls and the shops I spoke with provided updated radios that were compatible and would work as I printed the link you show and they understood what I needed................didn't buy one yet as I have to come down to the US as the Canadian ones won't work. BTW - we have the same car :>)) and not many Midnight Pearls around.

I was hoping just to get a model name/number and then pick one up off of Amazon. Some of the manufacturer's sites have the radio user manuals on them and there are more technical specifications available. I'm not a radio or electronics pro however and I didn't wanna buy something more than I needed =/

I also have a Midnight Pearl car and am also interested in medium-range car to car radio for group drives. Watching this thread :)

With previous radio-using drives, I found that it was often sufficient to just have the radio tucked into a corner so I could listen to what was going on. Whoever was up front and leading the drive had a passenger that was doing the talking.

Apparently many of the newer models do have headsets, Bluetooth capabilities and can even charge using mini-USB (phone car chargers). I am digging through a bunch of online user manuals now to make sure the models I'm interested cover the radio range that NSXCA uses. Hopefully that'll be good enough.

Dan, I'll try to get a radio before the drive this coming weekend. That could be good test.

We have an older radio that Cimberao purchase a headset for us to use with it. I have lead drives and talked on the radio and it is doable, but . . . much easier I'd think with the headset. We want to get a new one and or a second one so if anyone finds a good price please post so we can all purchase before NSXPO.

Thanks!

Heard from NSXCA that they recently renewed the license with FCC for 464.55.

I have done some more research and here is what I figured out:
-the new FCC regulations basically affect older radios only; new radios currently sold by manufacturers (Motorola, etc.) are compliant
-the new regulations do not affect NSXCA's use of 464.55

In terms of purchasing a radio that can broadcast on 464.55:
-this frequency is UHF 'business band'; typically the radios that can use this frequency are the kinds of radios sold to businesses like construction companies or retailers or hospitals
-generally more expensive than consumer-friendly FRS/GMRS radios (the "walkie-talkies" you can purchase are electronics retailers like Best Buy)
-radios that are FRS/GMRS compatible use the frequencies clustered tightly around 462 and 467 ~ this means that they typically do NOT broadcast on 464.55

So basically my main finding is that the FRS/GMRS radios that are easily available at retailers are NOT compatible with the NSXCA standard. However, they would be compatible with pretty much every other similar radio used typically at car-oriented events. I am now debating if it would be better to a) buy a pricier NSXCA 464.55-compatible radio and hope it can also be used with the much more common walkie-talkies used at later car events or b) just go for the easily-purchasable walkie-talkies at nearby retailers anyways and just communicate with others who have the similar radios at NSXPO.

They're about $150 - $250 or so (business radios). I have no problem with this, but I am a little miffed that business radios probably would not be compatible with typical consumer FRS/GMRS radios that would be used by basically anyone else (such as our drive yesterday, or the drive to Blacksburg I did with Bryan, or going camping, etc). That's my understanding anyways, unless someone more knowledgeable about radios can chime in.

Also I've not found any business band radios that have consumer-friendly features, like USB charging or even a flashlight. Not a big deal really but something else I'm considering.

Last edited:
If am using a FRS/GMRS radio, is there a common channel and privacy code that NSXCA uses? I definitely will not be shelling out the coin for a business radio.

If we are using FRS/GMRS, that can be decided immediately on the spot, eg "everyone get on channel 6".

I have found some radio models purchasable on Amazon that can use both consumer-friendly and business-band radios. However most such models are kinda in a gray area in the US market: they are almost all Chinese models that seem kinda difficult to use/program and are also liable to get you in trouble if you set it up improperly and start broadcasting on wideband on a VHF frequency or something. Here's an example of one of these models: BaoFeng UV-5R.

What we've decided to do is borrow some FRS/GMRS radios from friends and just use those. I think I will buy my own pair of FRS/GMRS as well to add to the group. I might not be on the same radio band as the official NSXCA conversation, but having some level of coordination with at least a handful of other NSX drivers is better than nothing.

Last edited:
Back