NSX work

I'm a prospective buyer and am curious about the work / parts on a mid-90's NSX;

ie...I read somewhere that to change out the clutch it was...gasp...$4,500??? Why?

Also, what are other common expenses that I could be shocked about. I know to be sure the trans isn't in the snap ring range and I should be sure the timing belt was done (same time as water pump).

Thanks.

For the 3.2/6 speed models the clutch replacement is high! That is all models after and including 97. All before that have a cheaper clutch and it's more like 2400 - something like that - still the point is that you need bucks in reserve when you buy an older NSX or any of them for that matter.

In your position you need to watch this site for a while read a lot and you will find that your questions will be answered indirectly and have all been answered many times over - that's what a little reseach will do for you. But it is hard to just start out telling you everything you need to know about how to find the right one. I just posted to a guy that is asking some question htech - read his posts on the first forum on the list. You need to be there mostly. Since you don't have an NSX yet. That's where many newbie questions are answered.

First thing to do is establish your budget and then ask questions - how much can you spend while keeping about 5k in reserve for maintenance issues.

In my experience the total was $2200-$2300. Stock clutch was around 1600 bought from Science of Speed and labor was $600-$700. It's not cheap but compared to italian exotics it isn't that bad.

Thanks guys... I am 32 now and have wanted an NSX since before I received my drivers license! I've priced out insurance and now I'm in the process of setting funds aside. I finally got my wife on board. It seems like NSX's are pretty solid cars with respect to problems, outside of the snap ring issue with the tranny's I read about on here with the 91's & 92's.

I'd be leaning more towards a really clean 93' - 98' or so shooting for 70k or less miles. I saw the red 93' for sale from Delaware on here and that got me thinking about red too...my concerns really are relative to the work or potential large costs afterwards. I just replaced my 3000GTSL clutch, plate / flywheel at 60k miles and it was pretty cheap. What's a tranny rebuild cost with an NSX or other odd expense mechanical issues? I'm one to keep the vehicle immaculate and very well maintained....but I'd probably put 5,000 miles on it a year or so while keeping it out of the snow and likely garaged through November - early March. Any other huge expenses with these cars? Great web site...I lurked around on here about 5 years ago, but finally decided to come on board.

The clutch is expensive but, install should be right around $500, stock 91-96 clutch is dual disk and can be replaced with a single disk clutch. The 97-05 have single disk clutch. Unfortunately the single disk clutch by RPS/SOS is no longer being made, it's a great clutch that handles "mild" SC power. RPS/SOS clutch being offered now is only the dual disk clutch that handles a ton of power. I can say that the clutch you can buy at SOS is a great clutch!!! don't be too afraid of the NSX

In my experience the total was $2200-$2300. Stock clutch was around 1600 bought from Science of Speed and labor was $600-$700. It's not cheap but compared to italian exotics it isn't that bad.

You don't have a 3.2 do you - it's about half what the 3.2 is...Check it out. Be glad you have a 92.

There is a big list of stuff to consider as maintenance items which may or may not be done by the previous owner. If you are looking for a 93 to 98 that covers a wide area of budget so a good one with decent miles as in 50k or so will cost you from 30k to 40k. You need about 5 to 7k in reserve - the cheaper the car the more reserve cause it will have less done for maintenance than others that are more. I'd buy one that falls within my price range and hold out for those that have been maintained properly which will mean that they would have had at least one Timing Belt/Water Pump/all hoses done once already - if not factor in about 2500 for that. There can be other things - most usual suspect is the clutch - depending on miles but not necessarily - you never know how they've been driven or who's driving it. Figure another 2500 for the 3.0 and 4k+ for the 3.2 at minimum! Low miles means nice interior and paint - tires are another consideration. Check the expansion tank for cracks. Check the AC to make damn sure it works - that is expensive business if it is not functioning properly.

Thanks guys... I am 32 now and have wanted an NSX since before I received my drivers license! I've priced out insurance and now I'm in the process of setting funds aside. I finally got my wife on board. It seems like NSX's are pretty solid cars with respect to problems, outside of the snap ring issue with the tranny's I read about on here with the 91's & 92's.

I'd be leaning more towards a really clean 93' - 98' or so shooting for 70k or less miles. I saw the red 93' for sale from Delaware on here and that got me thinking about red too...my concerns really are relative to the work or potential large costs afterwards. I just replaced my 3000GTSL clutch, plate / flywheel at 60k miles and it was pretty cheap. What's a tranny rebuild cost with an NSX or other odd expense mechanical issues? I'm one to keep the vehicle immaculate and very well maintained....but I'd probably put 5,000 miles on it a year or so while keeping it out of the snow and likely garaged through November - early March. Any other huge expenses with these cars? Great web site...I lurked around on here about 5 years ago, but finally decided to come on board.

You don't have a 3.2 do you - it's about half what the 3.2 is...Check it out. Be glad you have a 92.

It looks like Dali has the OEM clutch for the 6 speed for $2225 in stock.

Back