NSX vtec question

nsx isnt a gsr. :wink:

the vtec engagement on the NSX is very smooth and mellow.

the nsx is the grand daddy test car for the vtec system and Honda had pure performance rather than marketing in mind.

you'll hear vtec better with an intake and exhaust.

Also you can keep an eye on your oil preassure gauge. When it drops down about 1 bar, you'll know that vtec just kicked over.

Happy motoring and congrats on the purchase

Rob:biggrin:

I think VTEC kicks in at 5800 rpm, but it is fairly smooth. Congrats on your NSX. Any pics?

How in the HECK can you compare a NSX to a GSR?:confused: :confused: I don't get it.

When the Vtec kicks in a GSR, you can actually feel and hear it as where in the NSX it's really smooth. But yeah, Vtec should kick in around 5800rpm. After all, the GSR gets it technology from the X :smile:

How in the HECK can you compare a NSX to a GSR?:confused: :confused: I don't get it.

the only thing he was comparing was vtec engagement. relax.

but, yeah, it's a very smooth transition in the nsx. for a lot of the other vtec vehicles, honda actuallly sacrificed a little bit of performance, allowing the torque to drop off a bit before engagement. that's why you felt a huge difference with your GSR/civic Si/s2k, etc. and not so much with the nsx. (i'm guessing mostly to make the customer "feel" like they bought a car with vtec.)

Don't have any recent experience in any other VTEC-engined car.

But in my NSX, I can still hear a difference in the engine note once it switches to VTEC.

And even with my intake and Taitec exhaust, I can still hear two very distinct relais-clicks under acceleration. The first when VVIS opens the intake butterflies and the second when the VTEC-lobe is activated.

Don't have any recent experience in any other VTEC-engined car.

But in my NSX, I can still hear a difference in the engine note once it switches to VTEC.

And even with my intake and Taitec exhaust, I can still hear two very distinct relais-clicks under acceleration. The first when VVIS opens the intake butterflies and the second when the VTEC-lobe is activated.

I can also feel the VTEC around 5800. At 4600 to 4900 rpm, the butterflies open by vacuum, and the plenum creates a sonic pressure wave that helps push the fuel/air mixture into the cylinders. Combined with VTEC,VVIS you should feel it.

Attachments

• Vtec.JPG
    Vtec.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
I can also feel the VTEC around 5800. At 4600 to 4900 rpm, the butterflies open by vacuum, and the plenum creates a sonic pressure wave that helps push the fuel/air mixture into the cylinders. Combined with VTEC,VVIS you should feel it.

Is that the catalyst that pulls my cheeks back (into a smile) when VTEC kicks in?:biggrin:

Back