NSX vs. R8 Article in the San Jose Mercury News

Found this article comparing the NSX with the R8. Page 1 was on the front page of the Drive section in last weekend's San Jose Mercury News. Page 2 is the complete article.

Having issue with attachment. Will attach ASAP. Attachment was too large. I will resize the article.

Last edited:
Attached article. Any comments to this article?

Attachments

Geez why do they always compare a 91 NSX to something new:rolleyes: At least use an 05 as they made some updates. Just about any color on an 05 is sure to match an 08 for attention. The flip up headlights although classic do date the car not to mention the 15/16 inch wheel combo:eek:

Geez why do they always compare a 91 NSX to something new:rolleyes: At least use an 05 as they made some updates. Just about any color on an 05 is sure to match an 08 for attention. The flip up headlights although classic do date the car not to mention the 15/16 inch wheel combo:eek:

Don't you think it's a compliment to the NSX to have a new R8 compared with a NSX that came out over a decade ago?

Don't you think it's a compliment to the NSX to have a new R8 compared with a NSX that came out over a decade ago?

Well it's the owners car so I'm pretty sure that dictated the article , but since they make so many comparisons between the R8 and the NSX ( which other than mid engine I don't see ) it would be nice if they used the final model year to see where it progressed. I'm sure the naysers will jump in ,but if you look at the changes by model year quite a few changes were made.

It's nice that the owner felt a comparison should be done. Maybe C&D or one of the majors will grab an 05 and do a real comparison. The NSX probably won't win ,but I don't think it will embarass itself by any means.

The NSX is the author's car and it's not stock.

Last I checked it's stock to stock or mod to mod comparison......

Agreed!

Actually, I think it's a fair comparison and I have pointed out their similarity to different people on occassion.
The NSX and the R8 share more than just their mid-engine lay-out.

Both cars were designed to mark their manufacturers succes in motorsports.
Both cars are made from aluminum (even though I rate the NSX chassis more advanced than the R8 space-frame).
Both cars are dedicated two-seater mid-engine sports cars.
Both cars have double-wishbone (thats Honda-speak for double A-arms) suspension front and back
Both cars are naturally aspirated
Both cars have high rev-limits and make their power through high horsepower per liter engine output rather than by (cheaply) going the supercharger or turbo-way.

However, the R8 is obviously a German design and simply COULD not be a Japanese design.
The NSX was designed with the Japanese 280 HP agreement in mind and had to achieve everything with just that. I would say that the NSX keyword is BALANCE.
I simply don't know the R8 as I know the NSX, but (to me at least) it seems that the German fast cars of recent years have replaced whatever Balance they had for Brute Force. Maybe because Brute Force is relatively easy to achieve and also an easy selling point.

Whereas Honda specifically choose NOT to go for a heavy longitudinal placed V8-engine because it would increase the weight of the car, Audi choose to do just that anyway. Maybe because the R8-engine is in fact only a somewhat tuned RS4-engine which they were building anyway.
The R8 is simply a big and heavy car. Put one next to a NSX and the difference in bulk is obvious.

Of course, the R8 reflects many of the developments from the last 15 years and that makes it a much more modern car than the NSX. But personally speaking (and I will readily admit that I am biased here), I do not consider the R8 such an enormous leap forward in sportscar development or even a leap at all.
An increase in top speed of 20 mph in 15 years? A 0-60 time of 4.6 sec? of course, the R8 was never ment to be the top-performer of its class but neither was the NSX. But that CTSC for my NSX starts to sound very promising all of a sudden.

i read that article when in the paper, too - in fact, it's been tucked away in my nsx files. a lightweight article but my take of the article is that the nsx holds up pretty well compared with some of the newest cars making their way to market.

not bad after all these years.

The NSX was engineered well before it's time. 16 years later, people still think the NSX is a new design of an imported car. Basically a timeless body lines that still looks 10x better that any other Japanese or European car in it's class. Including today's models.

Just my opinion.

I like the design of the 300zxTT too.

But for timeless looks from japan, I'll have to say that the FD's organic lines and muscular body would have my nod.

Just look at the world's most reconized sports car of all time and it's organic lines, the 911.

Getting a bit off-topic here, but still....

Organic lines of the 911? :confused:
Which line of the 911 are organic exactly?
What exactly are 'organic lines' in a car? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Porsche911.jpg
    Porsche911.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 45
Getting a bit off-topic here, but still....

Organic lines of the 911? :confused:
Which line of the 911 are organic exactly?
What exactly are 'organic lines' in a car? :rolleyes:

The 911 is rather 'froggish' so perhaps that is what he means?

Yet another FD mention for BATMANs. He really can't help himself.

I like the design of the 300zxTT too.

But for timeless looks from japan, I'll have to say that the FD's organic lines and muscular body would have my nod.

Just look at the world's most reconized sports car of all time and it's organic lines, the 911.

Z is just beautiful especially 94+ with pedestal rear spoiler. 93-95 Mazda really did a good job of not copying the 924/944 lines for a change. It's just a bit too fluid though and needs the rear spoiler IMO.

Best ass on the old Japanese sports cars goes to the 94/95 MR2 Turbo. That car in white is still hot!

The 911 is rather 'froggish' so perhaps that is what he means?

Yet another FD mention for BATMANs. He really can't help himself.

Hey cut him some slack as he hasn't mentioned it's "massive torque" yet. Got give credit though he's though only person who could work "FD" in while reading an obit...LOL

Back