NSX vs. Lotus Elise

Ok, I was wondering if anyone has driven the new Lotus Elise and if they had any comparisons with the NSX? I heard the new Lotus handles very well and is a much smaller and lighter car than the NSX.

Yes you can also find a lot of info on google and compare the stats. But that alone won't say much because there is a lot more to handling the just numbers. The Elise is almost a 1000 lb's lighter. Just imagine what you can do with that. Impressive car and they look better in person but it's just another upper class Miata to me and thats why I sold mine. "miata that is"

BUt don't listen to me I never drove one. You might like it.

Funny how many NSX Vs posts. Shows the competitive nature of NSX owners. I hope you don't feel you have something to prove.

Don't forget the Exige and the Supercharged Elise or whatever it is. Those are even more crazy. If I were you I wouldn't even try and take a Miata in an Auto Cross. I went to the Autocross here in SD once a month for a while and I have not seen 1 NSX shake a Miata.

But according to that recent magazine test the NSX won and the Elise didn't do to well but I think the Elise was the least modded of the bunch and this was a road course not an auto cross.

I haven't driven one so far but I admire them for their philosophie. Of course it's no problem for a car company to build a very small, load, uncomfortable car, throwing all the 'unnecessary' things out and implant a Toyota or Opel (GM) engine.
The Elise and Exige are definitly NO daily-driver as the NSX is. Just to have fun I would prefer a Lotus Europa S (only available in Europe :)) over the NSX. Can tell it definitely after driven one.

I have often thought about this my self I love both cars the Exige/Elise is by no means an every day car. The elise is basically a track car for the street, the nsx is a street car for the track. The nsx is smoother more reliable more storage space and thus a better Daily driver. However I only use my sports cars on nice days. I don’t drive them daily to work and such so to me they are in the same category of sports cars. I would definitely opt for the Exige model also their is a company Force Fed that makes a turbo for Lotus/Toyota motor.:biggrin: its all about power to weight the Elise given the same mods as an NSX, the Elise will be faster due to less mass to move. Small mods will net you bigger gains in performance. If that is what you are after.

I did a lot of research on the Elise when I was shoping a few months ago.
The best advise I can give you is to just hangout on their forums and watch. You won't want after a few months.

As an Elise owner and someone who have driven a NSX (not at it's limits though) I would say the cars are night and day. NSX is a very nice car for everyday driving, and is more user friendly. The Elise is just down right harsh sometimes, the most annoying thing about the Elise is how loud it is after a while. I bought mine in Greenwich CT and drove it back to Baltimore in 2 1/2 hours. I thought I was going deaf by the end of the trip LOL.

The Elise/Exige isn't meant for highway driving anyways. To be completely honest the Elise has no pick-up after about 120mph. A 350Z stock could beat it in a highway race. But once you hit some twisties your left with a dumbass grin on your face. This car is arguably the best handling car on the planet short of open wheeled.

Eventhough I have Subbie as a daily driver, I often take the Elise out. For me(no kids or real responsibilities 'cept for my business) it's prefect. The only real issue is that my g/f hates it, she thinks cars are supposed to be montonous transportation and thats it. Suffice to say she drives a 4 door civic auto.:rolleyes:

John

My two teenage sons think the Elise is cool looking. It looks like a kit car from the 70s and 80s to me. I keep thinking when I see one that it's really a fiberglass body on a Pinto or Beetle chassis.

I know it's not of course. I always liked Lotus - one of my early dream cars was a Europa. And of course the Esprit - as soon as I saw photos (well before James Bond) - I was in love with the car. But then I read articles about Lotus and how they shed nuts and bolts as they drive down the road.

I simply think the Elise is unattractive. Way overdone with the swoopy body. Here in Austin, TX there are quite a few on the road. I see one every week.

As a lot of guys are posting, both are fantastic cars. I came very close to getting one earlier this year when I was between NSX's. Really missed my old one, and needed a fun car. After driving the Elise and Exige I concluded that they make great track day rides, IMO much better than the NSX, but for the overall driving experience I ended up searching out and buying a nice '91, just like my old one. ( and for about half the price of the Loti) I'v owned a few Lotus's over the years, and while great on the track, in everyday driving I got to wishing the drive was over before it was done. The NSX is a a total package of beautiful driving: sounds, seat-of-the-pants feedback, engineering, looks, and is a super durable ride, something all Lotus's are definately not. Good luck with your search! tomrev

DRIFTER said:
...............The elise is basically a track car for the street, the nsx is a street car for the track. ..........

Very good analogy. In fact the Exige is even more track focus than the elise.

Those cars are nice and fast. I still like the NSX better as a daily. There is one guy who did a K20A swap in the lotus. That thing was badass.....:smile:

lotus elise is more "nimble" can throw it around more, but horrible as a daily driver. lacks any of the creature comforts for yourself or your passengers especially when exiting the vehicle .

but straight outta the box, the elise needs no mods for track like handling..

however an older model nsx, you'd have to spend a ton of dough to make it "track worthy"

just my $.02 as I'm on the fence in deciding on a used elise or a used nsx

LOTUS = LOTS OF TROUBLE USUALLY SERIOUS:eek:

tumbler said:
lotus elise is more "nimble" can throw it around more, but horrible as a daily driver. lacks any of the creature comforts for yourself or your passengers especially when exiting the vehicle .

but straight outta the box, the elise needs no mods for track like handling..

however an older model nsx, you'd have to spend a ton of dough to make it "track worthy"

just my $.02 as I'm on the fence in deciding on a used elise or a used nsx

In my earlier post I said I drove the Elise 2 1/2 hours from Greenwich CT to Baltimore MD. I will admit that my ears were going numb and my back was kinda hurting at the end of the trip.

But, as a daily driver (my real daily driver is a STi) it's perfect. I don't commute more than 20 miles, I don't have any baggage, and I rarely have anyone in shotgun. (my g/f has no love for the Elise):frown:

I bought the Elise about 3 months ago as a new '05 and already put 6,700 miles on it LOL. I don't know how I racked up all those miles, but I will say that I've gotten up in the middle of the night and took the Elise out for a 2 hour joy ride a couple times.

Anyways, it's a fun little car to have.

John

willabeest said:
LOTUS = LOTS OF TROUBLE USUALLY SERIOUS:eek:

Thats true of Lotus cars like the Esprit but the Elise/Exige have 'Yota power. They will probably run 200,000 miles maybe even more. From a mechanical standpoint the car is bulletproof. Also, it's so minamlistic (i.e. no electronics/luxury accomodations) even weekend garage guys can work on it. I've had a ball messing with it.

But I am currently looking to buy a NSX or a M3 I dunno yet......suffice to say I'm leaning toward the NSX. Always been one of my dream cars. :biggrin:

John

nugg_dawg said:
But I am currently looking to buy a NSX or a M3 I dunno yet......suffice to say I'm leaning toward the NSX. Always been one of my dream cars. :biggrin:

NSX NSX NSX go for it, you will never ever regret it :)

Owning both, I can say the NSX and Elise are totally different cars, almost polar opposites in many ways. You really need to drive an Elise. If that's what you're looking for than no other car will give it to you like the Elise. You'll be hooked instantly.

For me it's a blast to drive but it does not have the NSXs comfort, power or reliablility. You really need to drive both and decide what's important to you in a sports car.

The Elise is like a go-kart on roids and the NSX is balance and refinement.

And little stuff will break and you will have issues. It's a British car with a Toyota drivetrain. Do the math.

FWIW I like driving the NSX more than the Elise. :smile:

Back