NSX vs 996 Carrera - help with a dilema

Not meant to be a troll. I am bidding tomorrow morning (dealer auction) on a 1999 Cabriolet Porsche 996. I like the way it drives, and it is a "weekend car" that sadly will be parked outside.

I drove an NSX, and for a 1997 mint low miles it is about the same $$$

I like the feeling of being outdoors, and in my BMW always have the moonroof open.

Pros to Porsche: Nice looks, great power, some panache.

Cons: in California they are on every corner.

Pros to NSX - exotic looks, really nice in Yellow....great car...the best I have driven...except the 355 Ferrari. No foggy rear cab window and rotting top.

Cons: Some folks poo-poo it, having to explain "what it is" and that it is a Honda. Slightly dated. May not have the open feel the Cab Porsche has with the top down, and without the ease (one button drops the Cab) This is important....

Whata ya think?

I would hands down go for the NSX. Trust me, in yellow that thing will get more stares than just about any Porsche.

Also, people that don't know their cars think mine is a Lambo or Ferrari. It's got that exotic wedge shape. And who cares if it's an Acura? Porsche has unfortunately become a very common moniker.

Bottom line: the NSX is much more rare and exclusive. And I believe the later models are faster or at least as fast as the 996, with comparable handling (better IMO) and a better sound.

Of course everyone at this board is going to be biased. However, I will state a fact: you will get more attention and onlooking droolers with the NSX. I can guarantee that.

My $.02

[This message has been edited by nsx808 (edited 17 October 2001).]

Porsches are everywhere. How many times have you heard, "nice Porsche" only to look and see an inferior model. Any block head can get respect in a Porsche if all that person wants is respect from other block heads.
Point and case. Standing at a valet pick-up, both my and another gent's cars were pulled up. I commented, "nice Carrera". He said back, "I like your car as well. Is it a Corvette?" My girlfriend saw that I was pretty steamed, but the truth is the man was completely clueless. Point of the story: Don't be a dumb-ass. Don't buy Porsche.

I agree with the comments others have posted about the NSX. Including yours:

great car...the best I have driven...

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

I like the 996, I also like the 993. I own an NSX. To discuss the styling issue, get ready for people to mistake your 996 for a boxter, the front ends are almost identical. If you have your heart set on a p-car wait for a year or 2 for the restyling where they will also be 320-330 hp. Currently peformance of the 996 and NSX are the same. Ergonomics? Driving position dont get better than the NSX. I was sliding around in the stock 996 seats while driving on the street, the seats in the NSX are better. To be fair, I am replacing mine for headroom (with helmet) and bolster reasons but that is based on track. Street vs. Street, the OEM seats in the NSX are better. The top comes off the NSX-t, while it is not push button, IMO it is far better than a cabriolet. I'm not sure you could go wrong with either, but if you can get over the badge issue you will likely prefer the NSX.

Seeing as how I own neither yet but have driven both...and MANY others. I would have to say that for driving dynamics and pleasure the NSX wins for me. Although I do like the 996 a WHOLE lot as well, I didn't get the feeling of driving a street version of a track car. The Porsches...all except the Turbos...feel larger and heavier to me. The steering is a bit numb in comparison to the light and communicative feel of the NSX. HOWEVER, the NSXs I have driven have all been lacking power steering and have been a tad more lightweight than the Targa top cars. I've only been able to drive 94 and older NSXs, and the only one with the 3.2 liter engine and six speed was a Zanardi edition. SO...I don't know if I was getting the better end of the stick because they are fixed roof, lighter weight and lacked power steering but the drives were VERY good indeed. I have driven both 993 and 996 Carreras (C4s included) and think that the 996 is easier to drive of the two but the older car had an edge in overall road FEEL.

As far as aesthetics go...the NSX is definitely hard to miss, regardless the opinions cast upon it.

Both are great cars and will run strong and true for years to come if taken care of. The NSX may have the advantage on low maintenance over the Porsche but both are reliable daily drivers that can hold their own on a track on any given weekend. I personally prefer the NSX over the Porsches. Not because of image or the looks it would get, but because it...TO ME...is the best driving experience one could hope for this side of a NEWER model prancing horse. (Which is a whole debate in and of itself)

In summary...get the NSX if you want race car feel for the street with Honda reliability, Accord manners at cruising speeds, and an F1 growl at full chat. Get the Porsche if you want a sleek, plush, slightly disconnected feel (in comparison with the NSX), cruiser that will get on it just as well when your foot is on the floor. Both will serve you well, but keep in mind how it feels to drive either. That feeling should be the basis of your decision, not whether it will get looks or blend in with the other cars out there. Don't let either emblem on the hood fool you. Both cars are a culmination of each companies rich racing history and both are very successful in that history. Never let a name or badge dissuade you or persuade you to get one over the other. You'd do a disservice to the awesome machine that it is or isn't. (not all Ferraris are that great of a drive. TRUST me. But, so many people think they are because of that little hood emblem.)

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

Just curious, are you looking at the white/blk 10k miles in Riverside? Also, how are you bidding at a dealer auction?

The 99 996 cab is actually quite a bit more than a similar 97 NSX. I've been looking for one for a buddy recently and find that the cabs are quite a bit more. To answer your question, I personally have owned 2 97-T's and currently drive one myself(yellow). I've driven both and would say that they perform similarily but have different manners.
About the cab vs targa thing, my girlfriend has a SLK Sport and I don't feel like the convertible top feels much better than the targa top. I actually prefer the targa because it blocks more of the sun from behind for those times when you are stuck sitting at a stop light
wink.gif
And the targa is really easy to take off and on. It takes a bit more labor, but it's actually faster than the time you spend with your finger on the drop top button! I agree with what the other list members say about getting noticed more. People will rave to you about the NSX and it is much more rare. The downfall of that is, that most think that it is a Ferrari.

This is just my opinion... but you asked for it.

I have not been able to get over the change between the new 996 P-cars and the previous 993 P-cars. Even though the 996 is a better car mechanically, I find the 993 much better looking. The 996 looks too stretched out compared to the 993. They also took away what I would consider a Porsche trademark... the recessed lines on the hood leading up to the vent... to me it loses the character of the Porsche hood and looks too plain.

When in comes to the to the cabriolet, I love the concept of the retractable roof with no boot... in fact I owned a Boxster with that function prior to buying this NSX. It works beautifully... however...while it looks great on the Boxster, I think it has a very unsightly profile from the side on the 996. To me, the 996 Cabrio with the top down looks like a humped whale in the back. They had to make the back so high to incorporate the new style top that it looks terrible with the top down... especially compared to the 993. I love how the 993 cabrio looks with the top down... visually, I think Porsche took a big step backwards with the 996. Personally, I would not buy one because I don't like how they look.

FWIW

------------------
jag 95T

I agree with jag... the "hump back whale" look really doesn't do it for me.
Actually, most P cars other than the GT2
smile.gif
really interest me regarding
styling, but I'd take a 911 GT2 in a heartbeat because it would be so fun
on the track.

Originally posted by ck:
Just curious, are you looking at the white/blk 10k miles in Riverside? Also, how are you bidding at a dealer auction?
----------------------------------------
There are a few guys that for a fee will bid on a car. The stuff at dealer auctions should be looked at closely, though. There is always a cosmetic blem or gaudy color combo. An occasional gem. The car I bought today is a 1999, was put into service exactly two years ago, and has 17k miles. I got it for a net including fees and junk fees of 57500, plus tax and license.

I may still get an NSX. The 996 is great...I could flip it and change the title if your buddy is looking and has cash. I just want to try a few things.

Back