Nsx vin jh4na1155mt000291

Hey guys I was looking into maybe purchasing this vehicle but there is something strange about this vehicle and I think the dealer who is currently selling isn't aware of the situation.

NSX VIN NUMBER J4NA1155MT000291 mileage history is shady.

I just thought well hey it's an NSX and if it ever was sold on prime a Search of the VIN would tell me a little about it's previous owner. Well I did a search and these are the two results I get.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64217&highlight=JH4NA1155MT000291

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54090&highlight=JH4NA1155MT000291

The car fax shows me the history of the car being clean and good and it's history is as follows.

03/15/1996 20,000 Florida
Inspection Station
West Palm Beach, FL Passed emissions inspection

03/15/1996 20,398 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Deerfield Beach, FL
Title #0070895786 Odometer reading reported

03/19/1996 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Deerfield Beach, FL
Title #0070895786 Title issued or updated

03/19/1996 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Deerfield Beach, FL
Title #70895786 Title issued or updated

07/23/1997 27,000 Florida
Inspection Station
Fort Lauderdale, FL Passed emissions inspection

03/11/1998 30,000 Arizona
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection

03/12/1998 30,373 Arizona
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cave Creek, AZ

Title #MC7139A071245 Title or registration issued
Loan or lien reported
04/03/2000 64,000 Arizona
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection

08/11/2000 Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Savannah, GA
Title #9694002248003 Title or registration issued

Loan or lien reported
10/09/2001 Alabama
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Birmingham, AL Registration updated when owner moved
the vehicle to a new location

03/20/2002 Alabama
Motor Vehicle Dept.

09/29/2003 Alabama
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Dothan, AL Registration updated when owner moved

02/24/2005 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Kissimmee, FL Registration updated when owner moved

03/09/2005 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Kissimmee, FL
Loan or lien reported
Exempt from odometer reporting

02/08/2006 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
New owner reported

02/03/2007 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Miami, FL Registration updated when owner moved

10/19/2007 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
New owner reported
Vehicle color noted as Red

08/31/2009 69,482 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Pennsylvania
Listed as
a dealer vehicle

10/09/2009 69,885 Online Listing Vehicle offered for sale

10/26/2009 70,012 Pohanka Acura
Chantilly, VA
703-968-6600
www.pohankaacura.com Vehicle serviced

But if you look at the second link the owner states they had 87K back in 2006 he also states that the car has primarily been in AZ most of its early life... carfax reports mainly registering in FL back in 1996. I'm not sure if this is the same car or not but something is fishy. You can see that indeed it was his car but for some reason there was some odometer reading exempt and then the car is reading just 70K after.

Now I'm not sure if I really would want to continue further with this if the car has a shady past. Although in the pics it looks perfect, but I think I would be bother if I knew that the car is reading 70K when in reality it's at like 110K.

I guess the question is does anyone know more about this car besides what's listed here.

Last edited:
Midnight, where is the actual listing for the car?

Sometimes you have to take CarFax with a grain of salt. Keep in mind owners (especially of high end cars) have more than one home and will register cars in one state and garage them in another. Sounds like the first owner was a CEO and very well could have more than one home.

Odometer exempt just means it wasn't required at the time of inspecion...that doesn't mean the mileage is inaccurate.

In this situation, I would go with my gut feeling. Prepare some questions when you talk to the sellers and listen carefully to their answers.

Having said that, I would stay away from this one...try and hold out for a non molested model. Something doesn't feel right to me either.

Although, when I purchased my first NSX, the car had 40,000 miles on it and it took 10 years for the original owners to put that mileage on it. It only took me 2 years to put another 40,000 miles on it.

The original owner probably only drove it on weekends and I drove the car every day. Someone looking at that CarFax was probably wondering why so much mileage had accumulated in such a short period of time.
Again, go with your gut feeling.

Yeah I'm going to wait it out try to save a bit more and then try to make a jump when I find the right one. I tend to be very impulsive when it comes to car purchases but I think I should try to avoid that for a high end car like the NSX. Glad I searched NSXprime though or else I may of gotten this car without knowing about this strange situation.

Last edited:
Anthony,

Where did you see this listed for sale?

The mileage discrepancy is suspicious. Did the ad show a picture of the odometer or is it just listed in the description?

one of the pics shows the shift knob from a honda accord, looks like to me a 1993 accord,, the Miles look funny to the numbers dont line up, I would NOT do it if I were you and look at the stering wheel,, that means they didnt care about the car,, to keep the leather cleaned,, so they probably didnt treat the car very well either,, bad choice,, bad people,,

Actually I've been talking to the dealer about the situation. This is new "news" to him too and he's actually liking the fact that I'm uncovering this. The auction house who sold him the car may be facing a lawsuit if the odometer was rolled back. Who knows but thanks for the detective work guys hehe.

You'll love the NSX if you like your MR2. Much more solid and refined. I rarely drive the 2 since getting a NSX.

Good luck on finding one.

All I'll say is that there are way too many available to buy one with a potentially bad odometer and shaddy past. It isn't worth it. Move on - let the dealer do his own damn research - what a maroon (the dealer I mean) - let him figure out his own lawsuit. Don't be mislead by price - buy from a reputable primer and if you don't see one now - just wait a while it will come up. Good luck!

Hey that was my NSX. I owned it from:

08/11/2000 Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Savannah, GA
Title #9694002248003 Title or registration issued

Loan or lien reported
10/09/2001 Alabama
Motor Vehicle Dept.

03/20/2002 Alabama
Motor Vehicle Dept.

09/29/2003 Alabama
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Dothan, AL Registration updated when owner moved

02/24/2005 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Kissimmee, FL Registration updated when owner moved

03/09/2005 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Kissimmee, FL
Loan or lien reported

Someone has rolled back the miles... stripped most of the mods off and screwed it way the hell up =( It makes me very sad. It was in immaculate shape... it looks like it's been trashed. That steering wheel looked brand new when I owned it. The interior was spotless.. detailed with Lexol on a weekly basis...

Here is what it looked like when I sold it with 89k miles:

http://argonautolab.com/c003/c003.html

Interesting; I had contacted the dealer in Harrisonburg VA about this car in my initial search. Never got there to look at it, as I was seeing if they would be remotely interested in some sort of trade on my then 70 Porsche 914 - never heard back from them.

As Tim points out, best to avoid the used car places - buy from a private owner (preferable a PRIMER) and get the authentic ownership history. Peace of mind. Jay

Rolling back prob alomst 30 k miles or so is so shady. That is wrong on so many levels. Esp since another owner may think tb/wp was done recently when really it was done years back.

see this one before it was in bad shape a few months ago,

but i see they still have the Honda accord shift knob LOL they havent fix that yet.

seriously get the NSX knob or something better than an Accord one.

Back