NSX versus Porsche 993

I'm shopping for a Porsche 993 for next year, maybe a 97 or 98 model to fit my budget of Cdn $65000 (US 45000).
I'm a long time porker fan of course, and the 993 is my favourite 911 derivative. But I thought I would look more closely at the NSX - you don't see them around as much, but I was impressed by the technology when they first came out.
It turns out that I can get a 1997 low mileage NSX for the same price as the 1998 993. I began to realize that the NSX compares well to the 993 in terms of technology:

NSX - aluminum body and chassis
993 - steel

NSX - Titanium con rods
993 - steel

NSX - 290 HP
993 - 270's

NSX - handbuilt in Tochigi, Japan...one man assembles and tests the engine, if it doesn't meet his satisfaction, he does it again. Car is wheeled by hand on a dummy to the next station.
993 - Mass-produced on assembly line.

NSX - 0-60 in 4.8-5.2 for the 3.2 litre engine
993 - about the same

NSX - Honda reliability. Engines are good for 150,000 + miles with low maintenance costs and relatively cheap rebuilds.
993 - Also good reliability, but more expensive to service and rebuild.

NSX - The hands of Ayrton Senna guided development, Formula 1 legend.
993 - The hands of Walter Rhorhl, world rally legend.

I've been reading resale guides and keeping a close eye on depreciation...it seems that the 993 has fairly stable pricing now, unlike the 996, and the NSX is also quite stable seeing as so few were built in the late model years.

Which is the better car? Comments please.

I would check your figures again. Last time I checked I could get a 99 996 for 36-40K and a 97 NSX was still 45K+. Do the 993's cost more than 996??

Drive both cars and see what you prefer. I am sure 99% of people on here would tell you to get the NSX. Just like 99% of people on a Porsche site would say get the 993.

NetViper said:
I am sure 99% of people on here would tell you to get the NSX. Just like 99% of people on a Porsche site would say get the 993.

NetViper, well said and no offence TypeRPlease, but these questions posed in a biased forum always make me chuckle. Don't really know if such a truely unbiased forum exists, I pretty much believe that we all eat our own dog food around here . . .

JMO, Kevin

I own a 26k mile '91 NSX and a 33k mile '95 993, so I hope I can shed some insight here that others who don't own both cars can.

Some random observations:

1) The 993 is slightly faster in a straight line and has more torque low down in the rpm range. The NSX is much faster in a curvy line.

2) The 993 has a better seating position for everyday driving. The NSX has better seating for weekend drives.

3) I've owned 12 911's in my life, and they are very bullit proof as to breakage. So is the NSX. The parts on both cars are fairly expensive when they break, though.

4) The 993 is probably one of the best looking 911's ever built. The NSX is the best looking Acura ever built, and is far more exotic looking than the 993.

5) Resale wise, both the 993 and the NSX have basically bottomed out (at least for my '91 NSX and my '95 993).

If I were choosing, I'd pick the 993 for a daily driver and the NSX for a weekend car.

Mike

I see you Canadian, we have some guys in GTA that have some exposure and know this car very well. Some of us are always on the forum.
Drop me an email, maybe I can help or give you some ideas on the NSX.

Bram

Bram said:
we have some guys in GTA that have some exposure and know this car very well.
In Grand Theft Auto? Like the PlayStation game? Sounds scary. :eek: It's bad enough I have one car (the yellow one) to worry about getting stolen...

nsxtasy said:
In Grand Theft Auto?
GTA = greater Toronto area

Am not surprised that the last-year 993 would hold value better than first-year 996. The former <s>latter</s> kept the air-cooled die-hards happy; the latter had the then-unproven liquid-cooled motor and the less differentiable Boxster-like headlamps. Interestingly enough, the new 911 (997) brings back some of the design cues from the 993.

Last edited:
I'm in Calgary, Canada, and the prices I quoted there were for my local market conditions right now. I gather things are different down in the states. The 996 never turned my crank, to be honest, like the 993 did.

Back