NSX Values with mods

I am in the market for an NSX and I wanted to know if a 1st Gen which has the original 3.0 engine removed and then upgraded to a 3.2 Comptech engine installed will hurt the overall re-sale value of the car? Seems to me it would. What are your suggestions for someone who is looking for the long-term ownership and value of the vehicle. If so what are some mods that hurt the value of the vehicle.
The vehicle I am looking at is being listed at around high $40ks with mid 40ks miles on the chassis, but not the engine, since the engine is fairly new. Please let me now if that is fair priced or not.

Originality typically is important to collectors. At 40,000 miles, that car could still be considered "low miles" for a collector - but just barely. For a driver, that would be "just warmed up" in terms of miles. For a driver, the extra power is probably regarded as a plus.

I would do double due diligence on a PPI though because an unknown engine installation is no where near the reputation of the Honda factory.

My guess is that the pros of the 3.2 would balance out pretty evenly with the unknown and result in a wash in overall value. It will then come down to condition, service history and how bad you want it. I would agree with Haggerty that low $40k is a high price point for this car and low/mid $30ks is a "good price". That is a pretty big $10k range, but then again there are a lot of potential variables in there that could drive the price one way or another - the biggest one being "what'st he deal with the engine swap?".

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vbe=115706

Last edited:
Thanks, Blue, I was thinking the same thing. But from the sound of it, the car was used mostly for the track, so that might be reason for the engine swap and other mods. Not certain if it was due to damage, it was not clear. And yes it is 6spd.

Last edited:
I have a 1 owner well cared for 96 with the 3.2 transplant.....with fast track driving and high speed sustained g loads on slicks or aggressive r comps oiling of the stock bearings can be an issue...was with mine ...so instead of continuing to rebuild motors I went with the oem long block option....less headaches...

I have a 1 owner well cared for 96 with the 3.2 transplant.....with fast track driving and high speed sustained g loads on slicks or aggressive r comps oiling of the stock bearings can be an issue...was with mine ...so instead of continuing to rebuild motors I went with the oem long block option....less headaches...

How did you address oiling with the new motor?

I do less events...am slower in the few I do....and baffled pan.....:redface:

Back