NSX up in value?

:smile:

am i right?
seems like the price has gone up a bit for our cars. I'm noticing a dramatic increase in the for sale section.

must be the FF3 movie...:tongue: :rolleyes:

valenzul said:

am i right?
seems like the price has gone up a bit for our cars. I'm noticing a dramatic increase in the for sale section.

image.php

:biggrin:

Didn't notice any price change over here in the last 6 months. They are just getting rare.

They don't make them anymore, maybe people will finally realize what they missed out on. :biggrin:

valenzul said:

lol...if you saw the movie you'd note that the NSX was basically absent...maybe that's why they're going up!

Nice...
Makes me feel bad about my plans to add 100,000 miles to my odometer in the next 5 years. lol

Anyone have any graphs of how other cars that ended up being collectable went through their depreciation, to appreciation? I'm wondering how many years it took them until they started going up in value.

jond said:
Makes me feel bad about my plans to add 100,000 miles to my odometer in the next 5 years. lol

Anyone have any graphs of how other cars that ended up being collectable went through their depreciation, to appreciation? I'm wondering how many years it took them until they started going up in value.

Why would that make you feel bad? Cars are meant to be driven and what's the point in keep the car museum quality pristine for the next owner to enjoy?

Very, very, very few cars are actually good investments and as much as I'd like to think otherwise, the NSX is not exception. Yes, it has held it's value remarkably well (making it a better investment than most other cars) but it's just a car and it will continue to depreciate some. If for nothing else, than for the time value of money.

Now get out there and drive that car and enjoy it.

well, the new NSX will be released in 2010. With price increasing, the car should be around 130K and up. So, to experience the NSX is a steal at it's current price :).

A few reasons this car may appreciate down the road.

1) All Alum.

2) Mid engine.

3) Super low production numbers (for a production car)
(Survival rate w/ clean title?) 75% ? maybe.........?

4) Makes anyone feel like a great driver.

5) Hand made / corners / 160+ mph. etc etc etc:biggrin:

Just my thoughts.......:smile:

I have been thinking that the prices would go up after the discontinuation of production. I bought a Ferrari 308 GTSI just before Enzo Ferrari died in 1988. The price went up $1000 a month for 12 to 18 months after his death. The older models made before Fiat bought Ferrari, especially the V-12s, went up several fold in price. I recall looking at a low mileage 330GT with an asking price of $32,000 a couple years before. The 330 GTs ran up to $120,000. Ferrari Dino's ( 6 cylinders) which were selling for $24,000 ran up $75,000.

It's hard to know what will start a speculative increase in prices. But I think that the NSX will go up much further especially if the new car is not named NSX which is likely. However, highly modified NSXs will not appreciate much. Only well maintained stock cars will be desired. So if you take any parts off your NSX, save them!

Another factor which will propel prices is the depreciating US dollar which makes NSXs priced in US dollars cheap for European and Japanese buyers. My Ferrari eventually was sold through a broker to a German buyer.

Last edited:
DrVolkl said:
lol...if you saw the movie you'd note that the NSX was basically absent...maybe that's why they're going up!

there was a yellow futune veilside nsx in the movie but just for a couple of seconds..

darknezz_ghost said:
there was a yellow futune veilside nsx in the movie but just for a couple of seconds..

Yeah, exactly...you caught a breif shot of it here and there in the background, but no driving or anything special. I was really hoping there'd be more of the car in there...oh well. 350z's and the EVO were the main players. The RX-7 was so modded I doubt most people even knew what it was.
(Oh and of course the stang with the engine swap at the end)

If mods hurt the resell value, would an SOS Stage 5 fall into that category?

While we are dreaming that the NSX value will go up, I also dream about some day having a 3.6 - 3.8L engine. (The chances of the value going up are probably much better, though :smile: ).

I took a page from the McLaren F1 and had all my exhaust shielding gold-plated. Will that bump resale value?

When it comes to mods and resale value, it really depends. Will putting headers and an exhaust on your car diminish resale value? No, but you also can't expect to get all the money back for the mods you put in.

Will painting your NSX bright pink have a negative effect? You bet, because it is more of a personalized mod. The more personalized your car becomes, the harder the sale. It starts to become a subjective call, instead of a simple by-the-numbers commodity trade.

It is interesting to note that the collector car trade itself is changing. There is a shift away from static events and toward more driving-focused events. As a result, on older cars, mods like disc brake upgrades, dual circuit master cylinders, and modern ignitions are not only accepted, but actually encouraged for safety. Perfect originality is becomming less important because it effects driveability and enjoyment.

Also, the older a car becomes, the less significant mileage becomes in determining value (in my opinion) - because maintenance becomes more important as a car ages. Once a car is ten years old, it is more a reflection of its owner history and maintenance log than mileage.

Once a Corvette (or any car) has had a frame-off restoration, the value is based more on the quality of the restoration and less on mileage.

A well-maintained NSX with detailed service history will continue to be a good investment. I often compare the NSX to the Pantera - more of an enthusiast car, not mainstream, borderline exotic. Its rarity is its greatest asset, because as more cars get wrecked and engines get blown up, they only get rarer.

For the time being, I think we (current NSX owners) are in the cat bird seat because supply is now fixed, parts are still easily available, and the successor is still years away. Right now, it still costs about 32-35K for a nice early NSX (cheaper cars are out there, but you have to include repair costs, which usually bumps you back up to 32-35). Prices have been at that level for at least the last 5 years - not much movement.

Back