NSX-T questions

Are NSX-T's any easier to steal/more susceptible to theft because of the removable top? Do the tops have any popular problems with air/water leaking? Is the rigidity of the car any different than the coupes?

Sorry if these are noob questions. I could not find anything in my search. Thanks.

jwocky said:
Are NSX-T's any easier to steal/more susceptible to theft because of the removable top? Do the tops have any popular problems with air/water leaking? Is the rigidity of the car any different than the coupes?

Sorry if these are noob questions. I could not find anything in my search. Thanks.

If a theif wants to get into your NSX he will. Targa or coupe.. Try not to leave it parked in public with the top off.

I have had no problems with water leakage in mine and I wash it frequently almost every other day.

Rigidity I am sure is more stellar in a coupe than a targa but there are so many other benefits to offset it as well.

I love my Targa

Tan
2000 Monaco Blue Pearl NSX-T

I had a Targa first and now I have a Coupe.

My Targa didn't leak at all. If you lock the roof in place as it should be then there is no greater security risk than with a Coupe.

The Coupe is noticeably stiffer and sharper handling but on a nice sunny day it was great to take the top off the Targa and enjoy the fresh air.

Wind noise was not an issue with the Targa.

Hope this helps.

On a motorway i.e. interstate, you wouldn't notice it but if you were cracking on round some twisties you would notice that the front end took just a bit of time to get aimed where it should be going.

That said it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the car one iota.

I have an '05 NSX. It has a water leak coming from where the driver's side, front corner of the roof meets the top of the door/windshield pillar. I'm going to try to re-adjust the top/door/window to fit snugger. As far as stiffness compared to a coupe, I've heard from others that the coupe is definitely stiffer. I can hear my car's dash/interior flex a bit under hard cornering.

No leaks in my 98 "t" (Porsche has trademarked the word targa in the US). The car does lose some rigidity when the roof panel is stored vs. locked in place but the rigidity is still better than most open top cars I've driven.

I test drove a 91 for a buyer. It was noticably stiffer even in mild street driving. However, that doesn't mean that the T is bad, but that the coup is stiffer.

I've never had any leaks in my 00 T, but I've never driven it much in the rain. As for security, I often park it with the top off, but I leave nothing of much value in the car itself, other than the NAV system and screen, which is the pseudo-"OEM" variety and not detachable. People often leave their tops down around here at night.

As for rigidity, it's a little stiffer, top-on, but who cares? Driving w/ the top off is one of the reasons I got this car instead of something faster. Having the top off is a ton of fun. Targas are the best.

I just got a 99 T.
The wind noise seems a bit much.
Tell me what is standard. It is fine up to about 70mph, but after that, the thing
starts whistling, and at about 110 it started to scream. Help me out, please!
(I have had a 95 m3 and then moved to a 2001 BMW 540i that I bought new, yeah, I know it is not supposed to be that quiet, but it shouldn't be screaming like I stepped on its toe!)

Are you referring to top on or top off?

Probably the major contributor to wind noise at speed in the nsx is the frameless door windows. They suck out from the weatherstripping if they are not in precise adjustment. Pain in the butt tweak, but makes a big difference.

HTH.

You can either choose a stiff one or go topless..it's your choice. If you're good, you can do both. :biggrin:

I love the targa, I wouldn't trade it for a coupe. It's just so much fun to take the top off and blast down the road. It's the best feeling in the world. :smile:
I haven't had any real issues with mine. The wind noise is pretty stable til 75, but is there any car out there that can defy physics? I've taken it up to 135 with the top off..can't hear the radio or the person next to you, but you should be focused on the road anyway :tongue:

This thread has been Resurrected!
I have heard wind noise can be directly attributed to window adjustment, coupe or T.
I have had my car up to about 150 with zero wind noise. There was nothing around and my passenger had no idea how fast we were going (or she would have been pissed)
It was as stable & quiet as it was at 80 mph. What shocked me was the steering wheel was rock solid, no movement at all and no wind noise.
These cars are unreal. :biggrin:

Wheelman said:
You can either choose a stiff one or go topless..it's your choice. If you're good, you can do both. :biggrin:

I love the targa, I wouldn't trade it for a coupe. It's just so much fun to take the top off and blast down the road. It's the best feeling in the world. :smile:
I haven't had any real issues with mine. The wind noise is pretty stable til 75, but is there any car out there that can defy physics? I've taken it up to 135 with the top off..can't hear the radio or the person next to you, but you should be focused on the road anyway :tongue:

I agree, the only way I will settle for a coupe if it's a Type R or Type S (AKA Zanardi Ed).

"I agree, the only way I will settle for a coupe if it's a Type R or Type S "

Let me know how many you find in our area.
I would like one too! :rolleyes:

MCM said:
"I agree, the only way I will settle for a coupe if it's a Type R or Type S "

Let me know how many you find in our area.
I would like one too! :rolleyes:

Nice sarcasm, hahaha, that's why I have a "T" because these beasts can't be obtain. One thing I am curious, see bunch of Skylines, but no one bother to bring over a "R," I wonder why...

I as well have an 05 and the driver's side window leaks at the top when I spray water at it with decent pressure. Pretty annoying if you ask me.

Not to resurrect yet another old thread, but I was surprised how much I liked the coupe when I got it. As MCM asks the question - "have you ever driven a coupe" - I agree. I was all about the T because I just knew the whole top-off thing was better (and because that's what I had :smile: )... That was until I got a coupe...

coupe/T: a non-technical comparison

I have owned both.....91, 95 and current 02 and for normal street driving the "T" is waay more enjoyable. It is such a blast to toss the top off and fly down the road.
If I had a dedicated track car I would obviously stick with a coupe and most likely a Zanardi, but that isn't what my car is for.

Water was trickling into my coupe last time I washed it. It seems the window wasn't sealing well enough right by the front triangle piece. I held a towel there so it wasn't too bad.

With the top off on my 02 NSX-T I can feel the front suspension make the steering wheel feel like it's moving around (not turning... "moving") whenever I drive over road irregularities, especially if driven over at an angle. Very subtle, but it's there. It's better with the top on, but still not as solid feeling as my other cars (a G35 sedan and a DSM non-conv.).

If I were in the market today for another NSX, one of the things I'd be looking for would be a coupe in good shape.

J

i haven't had any problems with my t. I have tein coilovers so everything is stiff now!! i have torn the side of my weatherstripping (i think form the window going up and down). Otherwise no complaints whatsoever!! I love my t. I only buy a coupe if it were a true nsx-r.

Back