NSX-T history question

I've been looking at an the following car:
1996 NSX-T black/black
20300 miles

I did a CARFAX check on the car, and while the title is clean (no salvage title), there is a "salvage history"

I talked to the dealer and he said that the car was stolen and stripped, then rebuilt (hence the clean title)

Should this worry me re:
1. resale (obviously it should, but how signficantly)
2. if the car checks out in every other way, how big of an impact is this, or is the only effect #1?

I looked at the pricing guide in the FAQ's, but where should this one rank, given that other than the "salvage history" the car is clean (I would give it a B+/A in terms of condition)

I think the dealer will deal, what would be a good price to bargain from?

Thanks!

-marc

Originally posted by boston-birdman:
I looked at the pricing guide in the FAQ's, but where should this one rank, given that other than the "salvage history" the car is clean (I would give it a B+/A in terms of condition)

Pricing is one of the problems for a car with a salvage history. That's in addition to the possibility that the car may not have been repaired properly, of course. Because such a car really doesn't have hundreds of other comparable cars out there, there's no way to give an accurate estimate for the car, other than to say that it's worth less money than a similar car without a salvage history. Selling it depends on finding a buyer willing to accept the history for the price you're asking. For example, let's say a clean '96 with 20K miles (no accidents) would normally sell for $46K. Maybe the seller is now asking $35K for this car, and you think that's great, so you buy it. If you had to sell it next month, you might find a buyer who's willing to pay $40K, or you might find that no one wants to pay more than $30K for it. That's another one of the reasons such cars sell at a steep discount; the salvage history means that you're taking a risk when it comes to resale value.

There really is no "right" answer when it comes to what the car is worth. Buy it at a price that you would feel like you got a good deal and would enjoy it at. If you're really concerned about resale value and "getting a good deal", then don't buy a car with a salvage history.

1996 NSX-T black/black
20300 miles

-marc

If I am not mistaken, I believe that I thoroughly checked out that car. Please stay away from the car. It's not in great condition, and not worth the money.

1996 NSX-T black/black
20300 miles

I did a CARFAX check on the car, and while the title is clean (no salvage title), there is a "salvage history"

I talked to the dealer and he said that the car was stolen and stripped, then rebuilt (hence the clean title)

Should this worry me re:
1. resale (obviously it should, but how signficantly)
2. if the car checks out in every other way, how big of an impact is this, or is the only effect #1?

Thanks!

-marc

i would stay away from this car and look for another

Back