NSX Suspension?

HI everyone, I was just curious what suspension do most people use for the NSX? I am looking for the 2002+ NSX right now, and was wondering if anyone knows if I can swap the suspension by myself OR is the suspension so complicated that I will have to take it to a shop? Thanks a lot!

Eric

mrturbo311 said:
HI everyone, I was just curious what suspension do most people use for the NSX? I am looking for the 2002+ NSX right now, and was wondering if anyone knows if I can swap the suspension by myself OR is the suspension so complicated that I will have to take it to a shop? Thanks a lot!

Eric

I don't know where you're located, but there's a brand new 2004 NSX-T Imola Orange/Orange sitting at Stevens Creek Acura (Santa Clara, CA) for $75,600 with only 60 miles on it. I bet you could get it for even less. Well that's how many miles it had on it when I finished test driving it a couple of weeks ago. :D I was told I was the first to test drive it.

Just curious: Why do you want to change the suspension of a car you haven't driven for some miles? You may start with the OEM suspension then see what it is lacking in your opinion and for what kind of use you want to tune the car (Track?).

The rest depends on your mechanical skills. There are a lot of people here on the board who can swap shocks and springs, but also a lot who don't dare to (including me). The best I would dare is to add sway bars (the most common and simple operation to tune the suspension).

I do a lot of drifting ...I actually have a rotary ae86, so I am very used to stiff suspension, that is why I want to switch the suspension on nsx even for daily driving/ occasional track. But I am not quite sure what suspension most ppl use. As far as the imola orage nsx, I think it's great except the interior...it's too bright for me...

mrturbo311 said:
What about the actual shock and springs? I've been hearing that people just use Tein for NSX, but I'm not sure?

I use the combination of Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks with the adjustable perches and love it.

mrturbo311 said:
I am not quite sure what suspension most ppl use.
Most people use the stock suspension. A variety of options (various brands of shocks, springs, sway bars, coilovers) are used by those who have installed modifications; there is no single suspension that is "the" suspension to get. Other than the stock setup, of course.

I really think you should at least drive the car stock for a little while before overhauling a suspension system like that.

nsxtasy said:
Most people use the stock suspension.

Yes definitely! you should at least drive one before you ask a question like this! After all it's not a civic or an AE86 you know!
nsxtasy said:
there is no single suspension that is "the" suspension to get. Other than the stock setup, of course.

The NSX's suspension is perfect for the street! If you want to RACE your car (and I don't mean you occasionally go to the race track) there is an argument for a different set of coilovers to allow you to get the high negative camber numbers for the track… But such high negative camber numbers will shred your tyres on the road quicker than drifting…

I have tried the aftermarket suspensions… Money down the drain! IMHO…. Stock is the ONLY suspension to use on any NSX which spends most of it’s time on the road!

Like everyone recommends, you should try the oem suspension before making any decisions. But, at the end if you want to swap it out, it is definately a DIY type of job. If your handy it can be done. I swapped out the oem for Tien RA all by myself with no help. :smile:

Paul

mrturbo311 said:
I do a lot of drifting ...I actually have a rotary ae86, so I am very used to stiff suspension, that is why I want to switch the suspension on nsx even for daily driving/ occasional track. But I am not quite sure what suspension most ppl use. As far as the imola orage nsx, I think it's great except the interior...it's too bright for me...
Are you planning to use the NSX for drifting?

Back