NSX Storage Question for those in NYC

Hey Fellas,

I'm going to be moving from Chicago to NYC in August. I am planning on living in Manhattan, specifically on the East Side (probably in the Murray Hill area, which is in the 30's and 40's, although housing accomodations are not firm as yet).

Hopefully the building that I live in will have a parking garage in which case I anticipate storing my X there, but if not, I wanted to ask for opinions on alternate storage venues. I've heard rumors of hangers/warehouses/etc. that store high-end cars, both in the Manhattan area and in the surrounding boroughs, and wanted to know if you have knowledge of them and/or would recommend them. Additionally, I spoke with somebody who stored his 911 in his Manhattan building, and he indicated parking costs were $500 a month. :eek: Is this a fair representation?

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts regarding NSX storage in NYC.

I look forward to catching up with all of you when I arrive.

Regards.

Last edited:
Sounds about rite, if not cheap .......parking in manhattan is very limited and in some cases there is a waiting list for a spot .So even if there is parking available where you maybe living,someone maybe ahead of you in line to get that spot.Parking garages have monthy rates but they maybe not the best place to store your car.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
Sounds about rite, if not cheap .......parking in manhattan is very limited and in some cases there is a waiting list for a spot .So even if there is parking available where you maybe living,someone maybe ahead of you in line to get that spot.Parking garages have monthy rates but they maybe not the best place to store your car.

Thanks. Does it make sense, then, to store the car "off shore," ie. in one of the boroughs in a car storage area that caters to higher-end cars, and then visit it to drive the car as and when I want to.

The other important thing to keep in mind is that I anticipate that once my work starts in NYC, I won't be taking the car out more than twice a month -- if that.

(I also shudder to think of how my insurance premiums are going to get jacked up! :eek: )

Regards.

NSXaholic said:

The other important thing to keep in mind is that I anticipate that once my work starts in NYC, I won't be taking the car out more than twice a month -- if that.

(I also shudder to think of how my insurance premiums are going to get jacked up! :eek: )

Regards.

Sounds like a UChiago MBA grad will be working for an I-Banking firm ;)

NSXaholic said:
Thanks. Does it make sense, then, to store the car "off shore," ie. in one of the boroughs in a car storage area that caters to higher-end cars, and then visit it to drive the car as and when I want to.

Regards.

I would take a look to see what is around first....But if it was me i would look into renting a one car garage somewhere safe .... if it is going to be a parking facility .... i would request that my car be put up on a lift so that it cant be hitt by opening doors and careless parking .I will take a look in the newspaper and see what i can find and give you some quotes on price.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I would take a look to see what is around first....But if it was me i would look into renting a one car garage somewhere safe .... if it is going to be a parking facility .... i would request that my car be put up on a lift so that it cant be hitt by opening doors and careless parking .I will take a look in the newspaper and see what i can find and give you some quotes on price.

Thanks much Acura NsX Pilot. Any information on renting one-car garages would be much appreciated -- or any other storage option. I appreciate your help on this front.

Regards.

Car thefts are down 58% year to date in the city. I have been parking outside off the street for the last six months while taking care of my 93 year old grandmother, and I'm happy to say that I haven't had any problems, yet. Knock on wood (bangs head three times).

One option would be to rent a garage or fenced-in off the street parking outside Manhattan. Just over the bridge in Queens, Long Island City/Maspeth/Astoria are accessible by train. A private garage would cost about $150-175. A parking spot would be much less. The money you save goes a long way toward car washes, cab fare, or even added insurance, but every mile of those two rides a month is going to cost you $$$.

Parking in NYC

I live on 93rd and 1st (Yorkville, Upper East Side). My building has a garage in the basement. I pay $305 a month. If you can park outside of Manhattan or park in an outdoor lot it could be quite a bit cheaper.

Amica has my insurance at $1000 for liability. They want an additional $3200 for collision with a $1k deductible. But if you make it clear that you'll rarely be driving it, you could get much lower rates. Mine's a daily driver so I have no choice.

Drop me a line when you get into the city, I'll race you down the FDR.;)

Re: Parking in NYC

GreggMarkarian said:
I live on 93rd and 1st (Yorkville, Upper East Side). My building has a garage in the basement. I pay $305 a month. If you can park outside of Manhattan or park in an outdoor lot it could be quite a bit cheaper.

Amica has my insurance at $1000 for liability. They want an additional $3200 for collision with a $1k deductible. But if you make it clear that you'll rarely be driving it, you could get much lower rates. Mine's a daily driver so I have no choice.

Drop me a line when you get into the city, I'll race you down the FDR.;)

The West Side Highway is a much better roadway .... but i think i know where every dip and pot hole and metal construction plate is on the FDR Drive.

Back