NSX starter issues

NSX having issues starting. Checked fuses, brand new ignition switch installed 8 months ago, alternator is less than 2 years, when turning key hear starter clicking.

Bought a rebuild kit which includes that spindle and contacts, replaced them both, installed everything back and same issue…clicking from the starter. What else can it be? Do I need to replace the whole starter? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Btw car starts fine when push starting or if I push start it. drive for a little bit, turn off the car and turn it back on it starts right away lol

Last edited:
How old is the battery? It almost sounds like you have a dying cell(s) in the battery and that there is sufficient voltage to operate the starter if you try a restart shortly after running the engine; but, the voltage collapses if the battery sits for a while. When you have one of these 'click; but, no start' events, turn on the headlights. If the headlights go dim while you try to start the car the battery is likely at the end of its useful life. You could also just have the battery load tested (proper big toaster oven style not the little electronic things) to confirm its condition.

It is also possible that the battery post terminal clamps are in poor condition and are making poor contact with the battery posts. This is a fairly common Honda product malady caused by overtightening and stretching of the clamps. Check the clamps to make sure that they are secure on the battery posts. However, the battery clamp problem usually comes and stays and doesn't go away on hot restarts.

If it is not the battery or the clamps then it would seem likely that something is up with the starter. But, I am having a hard time figuring out what that 'something up' might be that works warm; but, not cold.

Back