NSX Service Reccomendations SE Texas

Just moved back to the Beaumont area and looking for a service tech.
I had a Centerforce clutch go out at Sebring during NSXPO and had it replaced in Orlando. Taking the car out I noticed difficulty in making the 3-4 upshift on acceleration. It seems that the synchros may be going out.
It would have been nice to have this taken care of when the clutch was being done, but that was not discussed or considered. So the tranny gets cracked open a second time....
The local Acura dealership was not receptive to working on the car as I have short gears and they only handle American Honda, and if the gear(s) are bad, they are going to warrant only putting the OEM units in.
I would prefer not to drive to Houston but will if I have to.
Your input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

There are no real NSX techs in Beaumont that I have found. Sam over at Precision has a few decent mechanics that could certainly do the job, but I would say with 99% certainty, it would be the first NSX trans they would have repaired. Jason over at stoopidfast in houston is fairly adept with these cars. Have you changed the trans fluid and perhaps tried something different?

HTH

Ben

From what I know personally, Jason at stoopidfast is a good tuner.

If you're going to drive the car to Houston, you may as well take it to Carl at Sterling McCall Acura. He sees the most NSX's and services quite a few of us on the board.
No complaints from me.

Have you changed the trans fluid and perhaps tried something different?

I had an independent shop in Tucson add the lower viscosity BG transmission additive, at which time they determined that the tranny was a half quart low so it was not changed, per se, but brought back to the appropriate level. This was about a month after the clutch job was done.
I was told that if that did not work, to try the other additive.
Chris Willson drove the car in Tempe and seemed to think the synchros were the issue and would need to be serviced.
If you want to take her for a spin to get a feel for the issue, I welcome your expertise.

just curious - what made you decide to move from AZ to Beaumont?

My mother turns 70 next month, my stepfather isn't in good health and I got a great offer from one of my classmates to join his practice. So I guess the stars just kind of lined up on this one. It certainly isn't my first choice in locales, I will miss the AZ weather and the beautiful desert. But it's nice to be able to spend time with my family and friends and I've really been surprised how welcoming and friendly everyone has been.
I had a classmate from Tyler named Gerald Grey, do you know if he is practicing there?

There is a technician (Carl) at Sterling McCall Acura in Houston that has installed several sets of short gears and re-built snap-ring transmissions. With the number of transmissions he has re-built/worked on, he has to be experienced. If I ever need a transmission opened up or worked on, I would take it to Carl. Sterling McCall's main number is 713-596-2300.

Just as a thought, if you are going to remove the transmission and have not replaced the slave cylinder, I would have it done. And while doing the slave cylinder, I would have the master cylinder done too. Typically when installing an after market clutch (which requires greater pedal effort to disengage) it will finish off your slave cylinder. It is most likely only a matter of time before your slave cylinder fails leaving you stranded. Good luck.

I tried calling Stoopidfast several times but kept getting an answering machine.
I was in Houston Saturday and was going to stop by and see Carl at Sterling McCall, unfortunately he is there M-F only.
Any (other) ideas?
I spoke with the "NSX tech" at Classic Acura, and I could tell he was a little leary about doing much more than an oil change on the NSX, and when I told him I had JDM short gears, he said he could not warranty the work unless the parts came from American Honda.
Is this a universal issue for all Acura dealers?
Just as an aside, the Integra decided not to start the other day so I dropped it off at Classic Acura. Thinking it to be an igniter unit or distributor issue as the battery checked out OK, I was surprised they said it was a water pump relay. The next day after getting it back, I was getting ready to leave the gym, and BINGO it would not start.....again. They told me (on Friday am) they would not have an appointment until next week, and a loaner would not be available until later in the week, and that they could check in to see 'what else may have gone wrong" if I wanted to drop it off then. Exact response that I expected. I took it to the next level, told the service manager it was either an intermittent problem incorrectly diagnosed or the relay they replaced was not done correctly or had failed. At any rate, I advised them I needed them to correct the situation, but not at my expense, ad infinitum.and They sent a truck to pick it up. We'll see what they have in store.

You guys do know that Carl (From Sterling McCall is on the boards here) and can be contacted this way

His member name is nsxtech713

It wouldn't hurt to email him with your questions and apporixmately how much it would cost to get your car fixed.

Looks like Saturday is a bust because of rain, but if you wish to get together on Sunday, give me a shout. I'll be happy to take a look and give you my honest opinion. I think the GM Synchroshift would be a reasonable thought.

Ben

Just moved back to the Beaumont area and looking for a service tech.
I had a Centerforce clutch go out at Sebring during NSXPO and had it replaced in Orlando. Taking the car out I noticed difficulty in making the 3-4 upshift on acceleration. It seems that the synchros may be going out.
It would have been nice to have this taken care of when the clutch was being done, but that was not discussed or considered. So the tranny gets cracked open a second time....
The local Acura dealership was not receptive to working on the car as I have short gears and they only handle American Honda, and if the gear(s) are bad, they are going to warrant only putting the OEM units in.
I would prefer not to drive to Houston but will if I have to.
Your input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Please read my post in this thread.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82285

I had an independent shop in Tucson add the lower viscosity BG transmission additive, at which time they determined that the tranny was a half quart low so it was not changed, per se, but brought back to the appropriate level. This was about a month after the clutch job was done.
I was told that if that did not work, to try the other additive.
Chris Willson drove the car in Tempe and seemed to think the synchros were the issue and would need to be serviced.
If you want to take her for a spin to get a feel for the issue, I welcome your expertise.
If you are experiencing a crunch/grind when trying to upshift to third gear from high revs, then your problem is likely worn teeth on the hub selectors and possibly the synchros as well. The use of GM Synchromesh tranny fluid may reduce the symptom, but what it really needs is for the transmission to be opened up and examined, so that worn parts can be replaced. The R&R on the transmission typically takes 8-12 hours. This is something best left to someone who has done it before on NSX transmissions, such as Bruce Karger (nsxlr8) or Carl (at Sterling McCall).

For more routine work, like replacing tires, brakes, fluids, etc, any competent mechanic (not necessarily one with a lot of NSX experience) can do the work, so you might find one in Beaumont, and only travel to Houston for problem resolution and major services (tranny, timing belt, etc). If you use someone in Beaumont other than an Acura dealer, it might help to purchase a service manual and have it available for their use when servicing your car.

If you are experiencing a crunch/grind when trying to upshift to third gear from high revs, then your problem is likely worn teeth on the hub selectors and possibly the synchros as well. The use of GM Synchromesh tranny fluid may reduce the symptom, but what it really needs is for the transmission to be opened up and examined, so that worn parts can be replaced. The R&R on the transmission typically takes 8-12 hours. This is something best left to someone who has done it before on NSX transmissions, such as Bruce Karger (nsxlr8) or Carl (at Sterling McCall).

For more routine work, like replacing tires, brakes, fluids, etc, any competent mechanic (not necessarily one with a lot of NSX experience) can do the work, so you might find one in Beaumont, and only travel to Houston for problem resolution and major services (tranny, timing belt, etc). If you use someone in Beaumont other than an Acura dealer, it might help to purchase a service manual and have it available for their use when servicing your car.

Sound advice.

Back