NSX-savvy inspection Northern California.

As suggested by others here, this would be a good place to start to locate a company/individual who can do a proper mechanical/visual/assessment of an NSX i'm interested in northern california.

I'm hoping to find someone with some solid references and can give the car a thorough look, reporting not only its mechanical state but cosmetic quality such as interior wear and paint. Would really appreciate anyone's help on here to locate someone thats qualified and interested in helping me potentially do this inspection.

And kinda a lil off-topic, but I recall some people discussing a use(ed?) tax on cars bought out of state (california law) Is that the same basic percentage as a new car? (8.25 here in LA?) or is it less? If the car is bought in california, do you have to pay this tax as well, or?

Thanks for any assistance!

neurobound said:
As suggested by others here, this would be a good place to start to locate a company/individual who can do a proper mechanical/visual/assessment of an NSX i'm interested in northern california.
Depending on its location - Northern California is quite a large area - I would recommend:

Daly City (just south of San Francisco) - Don at Hilltop Auto
Santa Clara (near San Jose) - Foreign Affair
Sacramento - Niello Acura

neurobound said:
I recall some people discussing a use(ed?) tax on cars bought out of state (california law) Is that the same basic percentage as a new car? (8.25 here in LA?) or is it less? If the car is bought in california, do you have to pay this tax as well, or?
In most jurisdictions, you have to pay the same sales tax buying a used car from out of state, that you would pay buying a used car within your own state. Most states have complete information available on the website for their state Department of Motor Vehicles; in some states, it's on the website for their state Department of Revenue (which often has a link on the DMV website). You can find a link to your state DMV's website here.

Since you are in Louisiana, go to the Louisiana DMV website, then click on Frequently Asked Questions, then click on "Title and Registration", then click on "How do I title and register a used vehicle?".

As an in-addition-to, if by LA you mean L.A., CA, then you pay the regular sales tax of 8.25% (rate based on county of the car's registered address).

If you're purchasing a car to be shipped out of state, all fees and taxes will be based on the destination state's regulations.

neurobound,

It often helps to get more specific answers to questions, and avoids confusion, if you fill in the Location in your profile. (You can do this by clicking on User CP in the red bar and then on Edit Profile on the left.)

If you DID mean Los Angeles, then buying a car in Northern California wouldn't be considered out of state. I know people at each end of the state sometimes make fun of the other end of the state, but... :D

Sorry bout that Nsxtasy. Yes, I am in Los Angeles. I've filled in my profile. The car is, more specificially in Santa Rosa.

Anything closer, or would the facility in Sacramento be close enough?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for reply Mc, just looking for someone or some place in the area that can give the car a good look as described above. If all checks out I'll probably be up there to pick it up shortly. :D

thanks much for reply!

Two places I'd recommend are:

Marin Acura - One of the biggest volume NSX dealers in the US. I like their parts department but they are 45min from Santa Rosa.

Prestige Acura - Right in Santa Rosa. Very friendly and honest but they don't see too many NSX's 707-578-1300.

Marin Acura is pretty familiar with NSX's I take it? If thats the case I'd prefer to go with someone like that rather than the latter.

NSXtasy - any particular one of those that you've suggested recommended for Santa Rosa... Select by proximity or what would ya say?

Thanks so much guys.

neurobound said:
Marin Acura is pretty familiar with NSX's I take it? If thats the case I'd prefer to go with someone like that rather than the latter.

NSXtasy - any particular one of those that you've suggested recommended for Santa Rosa... Select by proximity or what would ya say?
Santa Rosa is 60 miles north of San Francisco, and 100 miles west of Sacramento. Of the places I mentioned, Don's is closer geographically; however, it requires driving through the city (San Francisco). Depending on time of day, Niello Acura may be quicker driving time, since it doesn't involve San Francisco area traffic, which can be horrendous.

I definitely think you are better off going to a place that does a lot of NSX service work, than one that rarely sees an NSX. A dealer that rarely sees an NSX can inspect for the "standard" items such as brake pad wear, tire wear, etc, but wouldn't necessarily be familiar with common problems that are specific to the NSX.

When we were planning NSXPO 2003, there were a bunch of local folks on the planning committee, and we discussed the availability of, and experience of, local dealerships for servicing the NSX. No one ever mentioned Marin Acura as doing a lot of NSX service work, or being particularly qualified at it. That doesn't necessarily mean they're not, but they certainly don't have a widespread reputation among the Northern California NSX owners for it. (Marin Acura is located in Corte Madera; from Santa Rosa, that's right before you cross the Golden Gate Bridge into the city.)

Your choice...

Either one is about 90mins drive with Don's being 3 hours on a bad day (rain as currently forcast will do it).

Marin Acura is not widely known but they do sell and service a lot of NSX's. It's unusual to not have 2 in the showroom. I know a sales guy there and he said they were the 2nd largest NSX dealer in the US last year. They are about 30 min from Santa Rosa (60 in the rain!)

mc-ca said:
Marin Acura is not widely known but they do sell and service a lot of NSX's. It's unusual to not have 2 in the showroom. I know a sales guy there and he said they were the 2nd largest NSX dealer in the US last year.
Sales and service are two different things. What you want is the place where it's not unusual to have two in the service department... ;)

Incidentally, in addition to being great for service (master NSX tech Bruce Pettite is back on staff, too), Niello has been the number 1 largest selling NSX dealer in the country the past few years...

Back