NSX & RUSTING... Rust.. I really really dislike RUST.

I know this isn't a primary concern for too many people, but how susceptible is the NSX having rust?

My 1986 Corolla, has rust on it unfortunately.. Only on the trunk/hatch portion though.. But i'm afraid of leaving the car outside/ driving in the rain / washing the car too much because of how prone it is to getting rust.. (all that will change as soon as i repaint the car). Before my 86, i didn't mind driving through anything.. but seeing how the weather can ruin the car and vulnerable it is, i'm soo conscious about moisture.. it's no way to drive a car i can tell you that much. you get more paranoid than just focus on driving.. So I can say my future NSX will never see rain.

Any thought is highly appreciated. Thanks!:biggrin:

CRW_9123.jpg

Though she looks clean, she still bears many scars beneath.. *sigh* I hate rust.

I have some rust on the hood-latch catch attached to the underside of the hood. Should I scrap my car now?

I had rust on that latch also. I used a wire brush to clean it, and then I used black rattle can paint on it. Looks better than new. If you want to scrap your car, I'll gladly take it. :wink:

The steel parts on the car will rust (hood latch, bolts, etc), of which there is VERY little. Aluminum does not rust but the exposed areas will oxidize into a very strong material that will serve to prevent further oxidation (read: hard candy shell). So no, corrosion of the aluminum is not a concern.

Aluminum doesn't rust.

yes Aluminum, does not rust. but it corrodes. my handle is a Boeing standard for corrosion prevention. i'm a structures engineer for Aloha Airlines. i can say corrosion is one of our biggest problems.

I know this isn't a primary concern for too many people, but how susceptible is the NSX having rust?

Rust, on an aluminum car ? Are you serious ?

Your Ae86 is rusting, because its a 21 year old car ! Heh. Plus, it could be even worse than normal if your located near the coast with a lot of humidity/salt in the air.

While most of the parts on the NSX will not rust, there are some that do. To name a few...

-headlight brackets
-front tow hook
-bumper beam/support (I think pre '97, after this they made them out of aluminum! Took them long enough)
-some engine brackets, bolts, nuts, small stuff

So yeah, even though it looks good on the outside beware of what you'll find on the inside. Having said that, it's nothing that can't be fixed/replaced and shouldn't cost much.

Back