NSX R/C car model advice

I picked up a painted NSX R/C body, and wanted to pickup a "starter" car setup for it.

It takes a wheelbase of about 10 to 10-1/4"
Rear track is approx 9"; front track is approx 8-1/2"

I think its about a 1/10 scale model

Any suggestions would be appreciated... nothing too fancy. Preferably something that can be used indoors (electric motor).

Thanks -- Manuel ( [email protected] )

I've had great success with the Yokomo MR4TC. And you can't go wrong with any 1/10th kit from Tamiya.

Take note, this hobby is addicting! Once you start getting good, you start to resemble a one man F1 team: blowing cash out the window in an effort to be faster than the next guy. You'll start your engineering degree w/ high voltage batteries, hi torque motors, pinions, spurs. You'll tune the suspension by playing with tire compounds, sway bars, spring settings, shock oil thickness, alignment, ride height. You'll play with aerodynamics, all the while getting to become a better driver b/c you'll be out testing and timing with all these new parts and go fast theories. Then you'll pick up Pole Position, race and get taken out in the first corner by some nimcompoop.

But you WILL have a blast. Anyone see the new Ferrari F2001 4wd RC car? That looks sweet.

From the looks of those dimensions, it sounds like you have a 200mm body. The most common NSX R/C body in that size is made by HPI. Assuming this is correct, your choices are pretty limited if you want to stay electric and not go nitro. Most (if not all current) electric R/C cars are only available in 190mm sizes. This includes "starter" (i.e. "nothing too fancy") cars like an HPI RS4 Sport2, an Associated TC3 RTR, or a Tamiya TL-01 series chassis. A few years back, HPI sold their RS4 Sport model in both 190mm and 200mm variations. Now, what you'd need to do is get any brand 190mm car and mount wheels with a +3mm offset. This would make your wheel track about 196mm wide. You'd still get a lot of fender overhang, but I don't think you'd have much choice.

As for what I'd recommend, I'd probably suggest a TC3 RTR, since it's affordably priced, it comes already built, and it has all the electronics (besides batteries and a charger) that you'd need. Then go out and get some wide offset wheels. Or perhaps you can try finding a used one. On eBay, do a search for "HPI RS4 Sport 200mm" perhaps.

(I'm sure the gas guys will just say, "Just go NITRO!!")
smile.gif

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

dug up this info from the seller

body is by HPI... vendor photo below

7087nx2.jpg

##############

As to a base "chassis and car" to mount this on, I would say the best bang for your buck would be an HPI Nitro RS4-2. That is what I used to have and that is what the body is designed for.

However, it will fit any 200mm touring car.

They will run you about $250-275 for the kit or about $300 ready-to-run. They have hundreds of aftermarket parts available for them and if upgraded can achieve speeds of over 70 mph.

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 07 August 2002).]

I have a used RS4 Pro2 for sale, extra batteries, 3 bodies, etc. I was thinking along the same lines; I have an unpainted NSX shell with silver and black paint, and was going to make an NSX body.

I haven't used it in over a year, the 2 2000maH batteries are still in their plastic bags, I think. Just don't have the time recently, and I have moved into other unproductive pursuits.
smile.gif

Interested?

I just picked up a team associated t3 with the stadium truck setup. had the boy guru build it with upgrade motor and ?servos? also i think.

WOW!!! with a fresh piranha 7 cell the front end comes off the ground!!!

Very cool. He did tell me that the equivalent in the car format(competitive wise) is a more expensive venture.

anyway, heh, my two year old loves it. all he keeps saying is "more, more", "cool car". And we know thats the real reason i bought it
smile.gif

ps: your timing is very coincidental. I just picked up my rc T3 TODAY, three hours ago! private me if you have any questions...

Back