NSX problem areas

I’m new here and really have just been a casual NSX fan over the last decade but never really put much interest into then until this past weekend when I ventured off on a road trip with 2 of them.

So now I am curious. I am a guy mainly knowing a LOT about BMW's but very little about nsx's. I did a search but came back without the information I was really looking for. So my question for you is this...

What are the problem areas that come about and or little areas that drive you nuts about your car. And I know you have them Im sure I could pick a problem on a McF1 everybody has a complaint...So whats yours? I am going today to look at a friends of the family who's selling his 92 with under 20,000 miles on the clock..at his acura dealership...going to check the price so Im just curious about all the problem areas you have faced or wish was different about your car. Thanks for the reply's

Kroger

Kroger

The short list of things to look for on an NSX

1) Timming belt and water pump has it been changed rec service 6years or 90thou.

2) Window regulators, have they been updated or replaced.

3) Bose Speaker amps (3), they all will fail.

4) snap ring falure, is the transmision S/N in that range.

Read over the stuff in the FAQ here for more details on the above.

Briank

P.S. Everyone wants more HP :D

Thanks... I'll be sure to have those areas checked out. Went and looked at it he wasn't in the office and is selling it personally so nobody in the dealership was aware of the price... But it has 11250 on the clock for a 92:eek: Talk about not driving a car that much. Im guessing mid 30's I have seen some up in the high 30's for low milage 91's but this one isn't MINT in my eyes there is a small dent and a few rock chips... Hopefully there will be a new member of the Kroger family

The most frequent annoyance type problems with the NSX seem to be factory amp and speaker problems and weak power window regulators. Older cars are probably going to give you some A/C problems if you use A/ C alot. The major issues are the snap ring concerns for a limited number of early cars and simply making sure that the timing belt is changed in a timely fashion as per factory rec's. Basically a trouble-free car!

JimK said:
. Older cars are probably going to give you some A/C problems if you use A/ C alot. !

I begining to think that the more you use the AC the better it is for the system. Living in Hawaii, we practically use the AC every single day all day long. Of all the cars I had only 1 had AC trouble. My NSX originally came from Texas which I assume would also be a high AC use state. It then went to my friend in California, then to me. It is a 92 and the AC is still running strong with no problems yet. I've been getting worried about it since I've read a few posts here on newer NSXs which needed some sort of recharge or work on the AC. In a way, I think the frequent use helps keep the AC system lubriated and maybe that is what helps it last longer. This is just my observations and no real scientific research was performed;)

Thanks again for the help... I will be going over to the dealer today to bargin. its the owner's car and has had it since it was new, I spoke with him yesterday but he is just weary about selling it (i think its his baby) thus is why he is asking

I believe he can be taked down a few grand:)
So hopefully things will work out

ChrisK said:
In a way, I think the frequent use helps keep the AC system lubriated and maybe that is what helps it last longer. This is just my observations and no real scientific research was performed;)

That's very true. Most A/C problems appear due to non usage of the system. Using the A/C on a regular basis keeps the seals lubricated in the system. Most believe that A/C is only for cooling. Not so. When it rains and your windows fog up, use the A/C but with the comfortable temperature setting (it doesn't have to be on cold only). Your windows will defog very quickly since all the moisture from the air will be removed. I use my system year round on all my cars and have never had any A/C problems with them.

Back