NSX "Peers"

Spin off of this thread, but seems appropriate.

I view the "peers" of the NSX to be (in no particular order)

• Ferrari 328
  • Ferrari 348/355
  • Lotus Evora
  • Lotus Espirit
  • Dodge Viper
  • Audi R8
  • Porsche Cayman
  • Porsche 911 (older models)
  • Nissan GTR

I feel like I am missing a few though - any other opinions?

Great list, I would add the newer corvette as well

Spin off of this thread, but seems appropriate.

I view the "peers" of the NSX to be (in no particular order)

• Ferrari 328
  • Ferrari 348/355
  • Lotus Evora
  • Lotus Espirit
  • Dodge Viper
  • Audi R8
  • Porsche Cayman
  • Porsche 911 (older models)
  • Nissan GTR

I feel like I am missing a few though - any other opinions?

I would agree to some extent, but a 'peer' should have some kind of 'raison d'etre' peer.

[*]Ferrari 328 - yes, rear/mid engine layout

[*]Ferrari 348/355 - yes, rear/mid engine layout

[*]Lotus Evora

[*]Lotus Espirit - yes, rear/mid engine layout

[*]Dodge Viper - yes, low production about same numbers as the NSX

[*]Audi R8 - yes, mid engine layout

[*]Porsche Cayman - maybe for engine layout but far too many produced

[*]Porsche 911 (older models) - No, too many variants

[*]Nissan GTR - yes, high end Japanese

Newer Vette - no, very nice car but I would not think of it as a peer
I would include:
Lexus LF-A, ultra high end Japanese & Rare only 500 produced
Toyota 2000 GT - Super rare

Sorry, just my opinion

I would agree to some extent, but a 'peer' should have some kind of 'raison d'etre' peer.
[*]Ferrari 328 - yes, rear/mid engine layout
[*]Ferrari 348/355 - yes, rear/mid engine layout
[*]Lotus Evora
[*]Lotus Espirit - yes, rear/mid engine layout
[*]Dodge Viper - yes, low production about same numbers as the NSX
[*]Audi R8 - yes, mid engine layout
[*]Porsche Cayman - maybe for engine layout but far too many produced
[*]Porsche 911 (older models) - No, too many variants
[*]Nissan GTR - yes, high end Japanese

Newer Vette - no, very nice car but I would not think of it as a peer
I would include:
Lexus LF-A, ultra high end Japanese & Rare only 500 produced
Toyota 2000 GT - Super rare

Sorry, just my opinion

Agreed almost completely. I think 2-seat mid-engine is almost a must, but I wouldn't include the Porsche 914 or the Fiat X19 for examples. Maybe the 914/6? I'd definitely drop the Viper and Vette, and as a former 911 owner I'd drop that too. How about the Ford GT (2-seat mid-engine)?

Ignoring market values, I'd drop the Viper and add the RX7, Supra, and maybe consider the 3000GTVR4 (technology leader wise).

The Viper really shares nothing in common other than two seats. It has torque, but lacks pretty much everything else the NSX has to offer.

Last edited:
I would only consider cars from the 90s. Sure they built NSX's well into the new millennium but let's face it, a 2005 model is just a tarted up '97, which itself is just a slightly higher performance '91. So I agree with the Ferrari models, the Lotus Esprit (turbo), Porsches of the era, and the C-5 Corvette (Z06 maybe?)

I would only consider cars from the 90s.
^^^ Agreed.

Anybody remember this from 1998?

R&T NSX 001.jpg

NSX peers according to Road & Track were the F355, 911, Viper, Corvette and the BMW roadster. BTW, in this article the Ferrari and the 911 tied for first and the NSX was third. Their quote: "The NSX does absolutely everything right ... you could drive this car all day and not get worn out." I don't know about you but I still feel the same way. :smile:

Along those lines is a look at "The Eroticars" in a Car and Driver comparison from September, 1990. The editors looked at a 911 Carrera 4, ZR-1, 348ts, Esprit Turbo and NSX. Of course the wise folks at Car and Driver gave the blue ribbon to the NSX.
http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...otus-esprit-turbo-se-archived-comparison-test

More recently (2008) Car and Driver asked where one might find the most fun for $25,000. They compared the then-18 year old NSX with some other classics such as the Mark IV Supra, E46 M3, C5 Z06, and a Dodge Ram SRT-10 (!) as well as two new funsters in the sub-25K price range, the Mazda Miata and the VW GTi. While scoring was limited to "Operating Cost", "Curb Appeal" and "Fun to Drive" on four-star scales, it's pretty clear that the NSX was the winner. The NSX featured in the article belonged to one "Ken Sax", obviously a made up name, who supposedly signs emails "keN SaX. ;)
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/most-fun-for-25000-199194-acura-nsx-page-3

Last edited:
maybe its just me but the one on the list i do not agree with at all is the r8. I kno they are both mid engine but thats where the similarities end IMO

believe it or not the rx-7 twin turbo of the same era was a "peer".....oh and batmans just splooged.....:wink:

And who can blame him. Beauty, great handling, nice power to weight ratio...Did I mention beauty? This is one gorgeous coupe. KBB has pristine 40K mile examples going for around $16K in private sales. Sounds like opportunity knocking. Just make sure it isn't a previously overheated and warped aluminum rotor housing or overboost or a lean a/f mixture that's causing the knocking.

Back