NSX Ownership Milestone

Yesterday I took the NSX out to get some milk via the 'long way'. Scored a bug splat on the glass and went to use the windshield washer and nothing happened and had a what fresh hell is this moment. Back home I popped the hood and started looking for problems because I did not get a low fluid level warning. Then I had a 'wait - does the NSX even have a low fluid level warning light' moment. Switch the key on and check the dash indicator lights confirms no low level light. Go to the front and pop the top of the reservoir cap off and sure enough the little tube thingy that passes for a level measurement comes out bone dry.

I filled the tank up and then had a realization that this was the first time I filled the tank up since I purchased the car in 2011 so it represents some kind of ownership milestone. In retrospect I am surprised that I remembered where the tank was. Hazard of being a clear weather garage queen. Hazard also of owning a car that displays a level of reliability similar to our 22 year old Kenmore refrigerator. It just works and when something does not work it can throw you for a loop. Something abnormal happens on my 1971 Volvo - that is to be expected.

Just wait a few years - mine is now 30 years old and Father Time is starting to take its toll on the rubber and plastic parts. Surprises like fluid on the garage floor and failing electronics are becoming more frequent. I'm OK with spending more time working on old cars than driving them. What I'm not OK with is spending hours online trying to source some part and then waiting for someone to post a used one on eBay, buying it, and then hoping for the best.

Back