NSX owner wannabe with questions

Hi. Been lurking a bit.

I've been a NSX fan since I drove two different ones many years ago. I think I am ready to get back into a sports car. And I want a NSX.

I'm starting to look for a used one of course and I am want your feedback on what I'm thinking today:

1. want to spend ~$40K or so, less is better of course; will spend more if the right car is available
2. want manual
3. coupe preferred but I realize NSX-Ts are much more common in newer years
4. want a well maintained vehicle and am not too concerned with "low mileage"
5. want power steering because I expect my wife will drive the car
6. I'm wresting with a '97 or newer vs. pre-97. Is the 97 noticeably quicker than a 95 or 96 (which have power steering)?
7. what is the significance of the 2nd gear change in 95? Did the 6 speed tighten all ratios?
8. prefer close to stock but wheels and exhaust is OK with me.

Any other thoughts welcome....

hofffam said:
1. want to spend ~$40K or so, less is better of course; will spend more if the right car is available
2. want manual
3. coupe preferred but I realize NSX-Ts are much more common in newer years
4. want a well maintained vehicle and am not too concerned with "low mileage"
You should be able to get a well-maintained '91-94 coupe for low to mid thirties.

hofffam said:
5. want power steering because I expect my wife will drive the car
Drive a '91-94 before you rule them out. The manual steering rarely requires much effort and reinforces the connection to the road. I never miss the lack of power steering in my '91 coupe.

Power steering is not a big difference between cars. The removable roof panel is. So is the $4-6K you'll pay for a '95-96 vs an otherwise-similar '91-94. If you want the removable-roof panel and don't mind paying for it, get a '95-96; otherwise, get a '91-94.

hofffam said:
6. I'm wresting with a '97 or newer vs. pre-97. Is the 97 noticeably quicker than a 95 or 96 (which have power steering)?
Yes, considerably. Typical 0-60 and 1/4 mile times:

'91-94 coupe 5.3 / 13.8
'95-96 NSX-T 5.6 / 14.1
'97-05 NSX-T 4.9 / 13.3

hofffam said:
7. what is the significance of the 2nd gear change in 95?
It narrowed the gap between first and second (similar to the "short gears" of the Japanese-market model, but by only about one third as much).

hofffam said:
Did the 6 speed tighten all ratios?
Yes.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like there are good reasons to buy a 94 over a 95-96: coupe, lighter, quicker. Seems like the 95 has the 2nd gear change over the 94.

Of course the 97 has the 3.2 and 6 speed.

For now - I think I'll look for 94s and 97+.

91-94 or 97+ are good......i like the coupe more :smile:

nsxtasy said:
Drive a '91-94 before you rule them out. The manual steering rarely requires much effort and reinforces the connection to the road. I never miss the lack of power steering in my '91 coupe.

I was initially spooked by the lack of PS in the 91 as well. Now that I own one, I wouldn't have it any other way.

If your wife can handle the manual tranny she can handle the manual steering as well.

Back