NSX on a Dyno in Autoweek Video news item

MvM

Legendary Member
For almost two years now, the Dutch car magazine Autoweek has done a series of dynotests with cars from readers.

The idea is to have a reader bring his own car (usually a couple of years old), which is then put on the dyno to see if it still has the engine output the manufacturer originally claimed. This news item has proven to be pretty popular and generates a lot of comments.
About six months ago, I was invited to do this with my own car and they now have finally published the results.

You can find the item here:

[video]http://www.autoweek.nl/video/3188/op-rollenbank-honda-nsx-t[/video]

Officially my NSX has 280 HP (in Europe).
I did comment that I have done the usual I/H/E-modifications and expected to have a little more, perhaps something like 20-23 HP.
However, their result was VERY surprising for me: 355 HP :)

They also posted the clip on YouTube:

So, have fun...

Last edited:
That's awesome. What are your parts? The wheels are nice and light too. Nice looking car! Love it!!!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, did you change your username in the past? Were you Martin?

As you can see the car has lots of modifcations, however, most of them don't really show themselves from the outside.

When it comes to the engine I have done the following (and nothing more):
- Taitec headers
- Taitec GTLW exhaust
- Cantrell air intake
- UNI filter in OEM airbox

The engine itself has been untouched. About a week before this dyno I run a bottle of injector cleaner through gas tank, cleaned the UNI filter and filled it up with 98 Octane fuel (standard here is 95 RON). And of course also checked the oil and tire pressure :)

Off topic: My username here on Prime has always been MvM. First name is Maarten though :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments.
However, as we all very well know (I think), getting 355 (engine) HP with just some bolt ons like headers and exhaust it simply not possible.

The crux is in the way this particular dyno is operated. As always, they measured RWHP and then calculate that result back to engine HP using a certain percentage. In this case, their measured RWHP was 284 HP and that, assuming 20% drivetrain losses, calculates back to 355 HP.
However, usually, for the NSX the drivetrain losses is assumed to be only 12%, which would give 323 HP, far less than what they stated.
I didn't want to spoil their surprise, after all, they use the same method on all the cars they dynoed. and MOST cars dyno below the original manufacturers specifications.
Some other examples:
- Ferrari F430 F1: Official claimed output: 490 HP - Dynoed at 450 HP
- Audi S8: Official claimed output: 450 HP - Dynoed at 415 HP

So, even with an optimistic calculator, cars like that seem to perform to well below the official claims.
In that respect, my NSX didn't do too bad I think :)

you have a strong engine,but with your top speed I would expect as much.:smile:

Back