NSX Maintenance Work ~ Just wondering where is the best prices for Timing Belt, WP...

Not sure if there is already a thread that documents what people are paying for NSX maintenance services so if there is please let me know and I'll delete this thread. I stumbled onto the NSX FAQ and it's great info but some of it is pretty dated.

Where do you guys go or recommend for the best service, best prices? It's odd as it seems the pricing is all over the place when it comes to these services and the big factor is labor. Do you guys buy the parts yourself online and then bring it to someone to do the work? I was reading the NSX FAQ maintenance section and they list average prices for water pump/timing belt replacements to be anywhere from $795 (Davis Acura dealer special) to $889, $1003, $1223

here's the link:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Maintenance/timing_belt.htm

Taken from that link a quote:

From Leith Acura in Cary, NC in November 1998

Oil Filter 14.25
Washer .20
5W30 Bulk 8.75

Filter Set (I assume Fuel) 49.95
Timing Belt 149.95
Water Pump 195.42
Timing Adj 107.70
Comp Belt 13.93
Alte Belt 31.78
Spark Plugs 91.80

Parts Total 663.73
Labor* 691.20
Other* 149.53
Tax 48.80
Total 1568.26

The above includes spark plugs and fuel filter.

So during lunch today I went to visit Pleasanton Acura to get a quote and they charge $165/hour. The guy there told me their master NSX tech is Lance Sunde and they work on at least one NSX per week which seems excessive to me but whatever. His quote for me to do JUST the timing belt, water pump and associated belts was roughly $1500. He said if I wanted the spark plugs and valve alignment it would be another $800.

Sounds really expensive to me but I'm just shopping around right now.

What have you guys paid for these services and where did you go? I usually do all my own fluids but for this major stuff I want to find an expert.

thanks
rick

P.S. I asked him to quote me for a header install (getting a new aftermarket header) and he quotes me 5 hours! I'm beginning to think this place is way too high. What would you guys say is fair for a header replacement?

UPDATE 1/31/14: I spoke to another well known shop in NORCAL called Foreign Affair and the guy Kevin was very nice. He told me for such a well babied car, even though it's 10 years old some of the things may/may not be needed so what would you guys do?

He quoted me 3 hours ($115/hr) to do the headers and roughly $2300 to do the full water pump, related belts, and spark plugs plus a valve alignment. He said since the car barely has 15k miles some of those items probably are just fine and more preventive than necessary. So the question now is how much of it should I do?

Ric

I pondered this question also, I have dealt with many Honda motors and realize their reliability to withstand durations between services. I wouldn't doubt most with older year cars and even newer out and about have not been serviced routinely. It would be safe to say following the recommended guidelines in the NSX because of it being a flagship model is smiled upon in regards to selling/piece of mind and ensuring a sound reliable vehicle. Unless someone steps forward on extending and being a guinea pig skipping services such as the most talked about TB/WP changes, everyone will always be skeptical because of the possible over hype. I believe our cars are driven more frequent than many other sports cars/exotics because of the complacency of the HONDA/Acura brand. I have routinely had my car serviced and each time the recommended comes up I see the parts and keep on wondering why am I changing something that is perfectly fine with something new that looks identical in condition, in the end I always take the parts removed for service and keep them for reference. Most of us who take pride in the NSX and it's care to avoid a hefty bill will never know.

When a Technician tells me since the car is babied and is only so many years old I would agree certain things are/aren't needed. Then we go back to, should I have just changed it??? I believe it's all on discretion and if you have the ability to maintain the car financially just like any other sports/exotic car out there then purist would say your playing Russian roulette when in fact after being on Prime I have only read a few failures. Speaking out of sense, everyone has different driving habits / NSX's with different /numerous previous owners (unless you are the original) which also comes to play on cars condition.

So many factors but in the end I think you will have it done anyway ;)

Pricing of maintenance has always been all over the charts also.

Last edited:
pony up pay be done.

if a service adviser driving a camry says babied cars dont need anything walk out.

TB/WP valve adjust is 900 in tampa, including parts.
header install there is always problems taking off the nuts so 300+ for headers is a good price.

but you gotta pay to play well you gotta pay to let the car sit in a garage and keep low miles LOL poor car.

That seems high. Here in Denver, Mile High Acura does headers for around 400 and TB/WP for somewhere around 1,000. They go straight off of book time and do not use a "NSX premium" price like many other dealers. Their tech Michael M. rebuilt my 3.0 after a HG failure and did amazing work.

Shawn,
$900? Where in Tampa? Thx.

pony up pay be done.

if a service adviser driving a camry says babied cars dont need anything walk out.

TB/WP valve adjust is 900 in tampa, including parts.
header install there is always problems taking off the nuts so 300+ for headers is a good price.

but you gotta pay to play well you gotta pay to let the car sit in a garage and keep low miles LOL poor car.

Myself or my buddy Scott Rudder Ferman Acura's NSX mech he also owns Rudder Racing

great price

I paid about $1,500 for my 2000 (supercharged) for whats listed below. I purchased the parts myself from south coast Acura and labor was done by Robert Garcia (certified acura tech in so cal).

1) Replaced water pump
2) Replaced timing belt
3) Replaced timing belt tensioner
4) Replaced AC belt
5) Replaced 2 valve cover gaskets
6) Replaced 6 spark plug grommet seals
7) Completed an oil change
8) Changed out 2 gallons of coolant

Last edited:
Back