NSX Key Replacement

This is by far the best and most active group that I have visited, NSX has the best owners!

I recently lost my one and only key to my 2001 NSX. I am being told conflicting stories by the dealer and need your experience and help.

One dealer told me that they can cut a new key from the VIN Num and then program the key to the car. I like this answer...:biggrin:

The other dealer told me that if I do not have a key then they will likely need to replace the ignition and door tublers and mechs.:confused:

Which dealer is in the right?

Thanks for your help.

Genecag

For me that's an easy answer. The dealer with the cheapest solution. Sounds like the other dealer is trying to make some money off of you, if they could make a key from your VIN number.

Try making a key from your VIN first. If that doesn't work then go the other route.

It is my understanding that VIN= New Key:). However, brace yourself for the price. I would expect north of $100. 2001 has the anti-theft system in the key.

So, I would say Dealer #1 is correct. Let us know how it turns out.

HTH,
LarryB

I have a problem along the same lines..

I have two keys - one black master key and one titanium key. The master key opens up the door while the titanium key works in the ignition. They do not work anywhere else. I'm not exactly sure what the first owner was thinking, but how do I fix this?

I was thinking that I could have a key made at the dealer with the VIN #.. see where it works, and then determine which was original on the car (ignition or doors). Would it be possible to buy a new ignition or door lock and have it "changed" to work with the original key?

Please let me know what happens. I have a 97 nsx, and it comes with 4 keys. 1 Learner key, 2 master keys, and 1 valet key. The learner key is suppose to help the delaer program a replacement or valet key. I am thinking about getting my valet key replace. Let me know how much the dealer charges for a master key from the VIN. Thanks and good luck. :smile:

Thanks for the feedbacks.....

Well the car is with dealer number two since an update from them suggested that Vin # plus car at dealer would get a new key for $56 (for key) and $106 (for programming). Soooo, I have the car towed 20 miles (had to upgrade my AAA policy to cover extra distance) and get the OK will have the car ready in a couple of hours......

I get a call couple hours later with the service advisor asking where the "Red" key is????????:eek: I explain again that I have no key and that's why it is there!

Well, now the advisor informs me that without the "Red" key, I will need to replace the ECU or ICU and will cost pars and labor $760:confused:

Lesson learned: do not lose the only key!

Some preliminary facts: Only the earlier years had the "Red" key that is necessary for making duplicate keys, likely 2001 and older.

If you have different keys that open the door and starts the car then likely your previous owner changed the ignition key box hence keys not matching.

Well, I will find out tomorrow the bill and the final outcome, will advise.

Some preliminary facts: Only the earlier years had the "Red" key that is necessary for making duplicate keys, likely 2001 and older.
I don't have a red key for my '91. I'm guessing that has something to do with the immobilizer system, which only affects '97 and later cars.

I did not have the red key and needed another key for my 01, and I believe they were able to cut what they called a T5 key with the VIN only. Maybe PM ANYTIME here on prime. He hooked me up with a buddy that runs the Honda dealership up in Ventura, CA. and he was a great help.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41688

Good luck.

I have a 2001 NSX. I purchased it from an Acura dealer in the U.S. As part of the deal, I wanted some extra keys. The dealer in the U.S. cut some keys from the VIN number but upon comparing the newly cut keys, with the original keys, they were completely different. I think it may be possible to cut the key from the VIN if Acura has accurate records, in my case this information was not correct. I purchased blank keys from the dealer and then went to a locksmith and they cut my key using a key machine. Then I went back to Acura to get them to reprogram the key with the immobilizer.
I also have a red key (training key) a back key (master key-opens all the locks) and a grey key (valet- door and ignition). I was told the red key is required to reprogram the newly cut keys (the ones with the chip in it) with the immobilizer. If you look at the black key and the grey key, very, very carefully, you will find that one key is ever so slightly thinner then the other. It is the thickness of the key that conroles which locks the master and valet key open. If you lose the red key you can not program newly cut keys with the immobilizer. This is what I was told.

David

Red key came with mine, as I said above. Maybe the original owner has it somewhere and just forgot to give it to you.

If you lose the red key you can not program newly cut keys with the immobilizer. This is what I was told.

David

Not true.

I did not have the red key, and they were able to cut and program a T5 key for my 01 which works like butta.

Thanks for all your feedback....Let me see if I can give back a summary...

If you have no key (lost them all, like me) then (as I am waiting to find out)
need to buy a new ECU/ICU/computer-thing that comes with the new "Red" key for some $700. (Dealer told me that they checked with Acura Tech Line and that above is true, dealer also said that if I could prove them wrong then they would refund my money)

If you have a working key then it can be copied without the need of the "Red" key, the cost will be key=$27 and programming=$80

Yes, a key can be cut with the Vin to open door but will not start the car if it has the ECU/ICU/Computer-thing.

I am in the car biz and we regularly repo cars with no keys.
Any GOOD locksmith (we have a mobile one) will cut keys and sync the computer - we pay about $65 CDN for keys and computer for a Honda.

My guess is that there is not REAL difference between a '99 Accord and an '97 NSX (the NSX being a little ahead on antitheft, but not different.)

If you have no key (lost them all, like me) then (as I am waiting to find out) need to buy a new ECU/ICU/computer-thing that comes with the new "Red" key for some $700. (Dealer told me that they checked with Acura Tech Line and that above is true, dealer also said that if I could prove them wrong then they would refund my money)

They always tried to sell us new ECUs for Honda, Lexus, etc. Until we found our locksmith guy! He says if the ECU is "full" (it can generally remember 5 or so (depending on make of car) keys then you MAY need to replace it - sometimes he can just "flash" it and make it work again.

Yes, a key can be cut with the Vin to open door but will not start the car if it has the ECU/ICU/Computer-thing.

We can always cut a "door key" with a VIN (any make car) but they will not start a car that requires a "chipped" key, unless its a: Mercedes, Porsche, Audi/VW.

Last edited:
When I went to the Acura dealer in Canada to get my keys "reprogramed" (2 black keys), I did not show them my red key and they told me they did not need it. Then 15 minutes later they asked me for the red key for reprograming purposes. In all I now have 3 - black keys, 1 - grey key, 1 - red key. I may be at my Key max.

So, I think there must me a few ways to get these keys to work with the immobilizer:
1) The red key is to let the immobilizer "accept" new keys.
2) If the dealer has a cloning machine they can clone the information on the original key (if you have a key).
3) Reset everthing if all eles fails?

Last edited:
OK, I picked up my car today much happier but $760 poorer.

Needed new immobilizer which came with new "Red" key and two new black keys.

I had second key made just by using my black key at a dealer. I gave them a blank key that I purchased on ebay. My red key is still in a sealed package. The dealer said that they did not need to use the red key. The second key works great, I use it instead of the orignal black key. This was a 1999

I recently lost my one and only key to my 2001 NSX.

OK, I picked up my car today much happier but $760 poorer. Needed new immobilizer which came with new "Red" key and two new black keys.

For all of you that have the newer key with the transponder and need replacements made, this little document should come in handy.

Would I be correct in summarizing that persons with the immobilizer system (1997+ NSXs) who don't want to risk having to pay $700+ upon loosing a key should make sure they have at least two working transponder keys so there is one available to be duplicated if the other is lost?

Would I be correct in summarizing that persons with the immobilizer system (1997+ NSXs) who don't want to risk having to pay $700+ upon loosing a key should make sure they have at least two working transponder keys so there is one available to be duplicated if the other is lost?

YES!

For what it is worth, I just had my 02 NSX (just bought) in to an Acura dealer for the once over and mentioned that I only had the 1 key. They cut me a new one for free. Must have been the 30K service that I paid for to make sure all was running correctly?!?!

T5 are not oem if u want an oem one u need the red key and 1 master key plus programing with the scan tool.

Back