NSX is getting crucified on BMW forum.....

The discussion started with NSX vs. M3 and some of the responses from the BMW owners is getting riduculous. Take a look at the
forum http://forum.e46fanatics.com/ . By the way, I warn some of you that some of the posts will get your blood pressure up.
Here is an excerpt "Come on guys... The numbers speak for themselves! With both cars (in stock trim) an E46 M3 would rip an NSX a new ASSHOLE!"

Same old story. I don't even bother getting worked up over this kind of stuff anymore. (YAWN....)
rolleyes.gif

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

I read the threads and a couple of posts are by NSX owners. Allen in Portland apparently has a BEGI TT 91 and he is posting alot. Funny post is that his TT can only keep up with a new E46 M3. I got a 98 NSX and an 01 M3 and I know that my NSX keeps up with the M3 so Allen, if your TT only keeps up with the M3, get your car checked out.

Tim

I skimmed that thread, and didn't see anything there I'd call "crucified". That one post you quoted was the only one there that seemed even juvenile, most posters there gave the NSX its due respect.

Some posts were made to the effect that a new M3 is faster (probably true) and cheaper (certainly true), and a new NSX is overpriced (also probably true, as reflected in the sales), but nothing out of line. I don't see any cause for increased blood pressure here.

Edit: One blatant error I did see was that the NSX has bad resale value - now THAT'S a load of the brown stuff! I can't think of a car that has held its value better.

[This message has been edited by Timbo (edited 08 November 2002).]

Originally posted by Timbo:
Edit: One blatant error I did see was that the NSX has bad resale value - now THAT'S a load of the brown stuff! I can't think of a car that has held its value better.

Generally concur with your observations, except the above in one particular context - if you bought a new, recent model year NSX, the resale value is probably not that good since it would have no meaningful advantage over, say a used 97...

blahblablah- WHATEVER...same old stuff, I know...our cars are much a better overall package by far, especially on looks alone..I agree most gave it ALOT of respect, while ignorant others THINK THEY ARE SO ABOVE everyone...
I'm sure the next time I pull up to a new M3, I will leave MUCH MUCH space between the two of us....

You know, it's ironic--I'll bet that, three years down the road, those M3 owners will be singing a differnt tune. That one guy (jp323i) has probably never driven an NSX--if he had done so, he'd have a better appreciation. In fact, that would be a great advertising line "drive one....you'll understand!".

I have not driven an M3 yet, but I am looking forward to it. I know I'll approach it with more of an open mind than some of those yahoos.

------------------
Steve
Formula Red '97-T

by the way guys, I wasn't resorting to the same level of immaturity that the BMW owners were...

if you notice the forum members that were responding, very few of them are even M3 owners, just wanna be posers who can't even afford one. So why waste my time?

by the way, I raced another M3 and beat him too. started to slightly pull in 2nd and began to really pull him in 3rd.

Allen

I also agree, overall the discussion was balanced even though there is a definite lack of "knowledge" of all variables involved in such a comparison; such as:

1. Very few people know how to drive the NSX to its limits as compared to an M3 (and I know this first hand from track events with BMWs). The NSX is much less forgiving at the limit than an M3 so those driving both may not be pushing the car to the their limits. If you have been in an NSX with an accomplished driver you would know what I mean when you are holding for dear life ........ but having said that, both cars are fast with accomplished drivers .........

2. E46 have had several blown engines that no one mentioned! How many NSXs do we know of with blown engines in their first year or two of introduction, heck ever .......

3. Very few people pay $90K for an NSX; most pay around $75K so the price issue is bogus if they know the market ..... perhaps the comparison should be between an NSX and a Z8 ........

4. The obvious, overall reliability and maintenance costs .... need I say more ....!

5. We recruit quite a few BMWCCA isntructors who tend to be so much more apprehensive when they are in an NSX at moderate speed as compared to an M3 at the limit because most do not "really" know the handling envelope of the NSX (the more reason why we are training NSX instructors). Those with 911 background appreciate it more .........

If you get challenged like this, ask them to show up at a track like THill where both balance and high end speed are at play and then let's compare notes ......... Andrie has the fastest track lap times and he recently edged a 911 (I believe with GT3 suspension and R compound as well) both going clockwise for the first time ...... and there are others who still driver an NSX faster than Andrie ....!!!!

[This message has been edited by Hrant (edited 08 November 2002).]

Originally posted by Hrant:
2. E46 have had several blown engines that no one mentioned! How many NSXs do we know of with blown engines in their first year or two of introduction, heck ever .......

Ahh but how quickly we forget the early cars and thier snap ring issues!!

Steve

------------------
Steve
91 NSX
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG

Originally posted by X-TNSIV:
by the way guys, I wasn't resorting to the same level of immaturity that the BMW owners were...

if you notice the forum members that were responding, very few of them are even M3 owners, just wanna be posers who can't even afford one. So why waste my time?

by the way, I raced another M3 and beat him too. started to slightly pull in 2nd and began to really pull him in 3rd.

Allen

Your posts were well stated.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Allen,

Your posts were on target. Me one the other hand, I guess I let that authority get under my skin with his ignorant remarks. Me bad.

The M3 is a great car but it clearly is a compromise vehicle. The E46 M3 with all of the weight really hinders its performance. I bet the CSL is pretty good. In regards to the motor, well, will just have to wait and see. I have 22K with a 3/01 build.

The last time I checked the E46 M3 has similar acceleration numbers in stock trim as 3.2L NSXs.

So I am not sure how that one guy is going to rip the NSX a new a^%W*ole.

He must be really into that sort of things.

Being a big fan of both the NSX and M cars (I own an E36 as daily driver and plan on getting an E46 soon), I can't help but find comparisons between NSX and M3 humorous.

It's only an issue when you can only have one.

didnt seem all that bad, just a couple of lil potstickers making ridiculous comments...

same old blah blah blah. i'd agree that the m3 is probably the best all around car made--great performance with a decent trunk and real backseats.

dont really see the point of trying to compare a sedan to an exotic. It IS impressive that the bimmer has performance close to the nsx, but egads, it is still a sedan and not an exotic two seater.

Originally posted by SJJ28:
Ahh but how quickly we forget the early cars and thier snap ring issues!!

But when those cars were under warranty, Honda repaired or replaced the transmissions, no questions asked. BMW NA is blaming some of the owners and refusing warranty coverage.

Back