NSX GT3 Race Car article on CNET

great story. i'm guessing this is the NSX a lot of people would like to see a road going version of. 2900 lbs., direct steering feel, raucous sounding engine? yep, that should do the trick...

great story. i'm guessing this is the NSX a lot of people would like to see a road going version of. 2900 lbs., direct steering feel, raucous sounding engine? yep, that should do the trick...

It was pretty awesome. They definitely need to make a road version of the racer with a little more hp for the weight of an interior etc.

Nice videos. Though I'm surprised Acura let them drive the GT3 cars for it seems the videos offer support to those who state that the car should be built without the hybrid tech. For me the most intriguing part was that the steering feel was not lost with the absence of the front motors. Rather at one point, he mentions that it felt pretty good.

Pretty different car. In the real world, unless you're Porsche, you don't sell a lot (meaning more than 1000/year) of track-focused cars for $150K+. For a GT car, the weight doesn't matter much and the electrics make it unique. And it can hang on the track with a 991.1 GT3, so not too shabby.

I think the base car needs more success and fans before it would be sensible to do a track-focused variant.

I hope the NSX platform earned the right to have a harder-edged sibling.

Last edited:
Nice videos. Though I'm surprised Acura let them drive the GT3 cars for it seems the videos offer support to those who state that the car should be built without the hybrid tech. For me the most intriguing part was that the steering feel was not lost with the absence of the front motors. Rather at one point, he mentions that it felt pretty good.

the steering is only going to get better with less weight and moving parts attached to it...

I think the base car needs more success and fans before it would be sensible to do a track-focused variant.

or, if they made a more track focused car, it would have more fans and be more successful? :cool:

I don't know. I like the nsx for what it is. Of course, more is better. I think 10% more power output would make it damn near perfect. If I wanted a GT3 car, I'd have gotten the Porsche GT3. The 991.2 is pretty drool-worthy, come to think of it.

Last edited:
That was a fun video. Here it is.

<iframe src="https://www.cnet.com/videos/share/join-us-behind-the-wheel-of-the-race-ready-nsx-gt3/" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" seamless="seamless" allowFullScreen></iframe>

I hope Honda evolves the NSX. I'm excited for them. If the positive reviews of the CTR is telling... I hope a racier/rowdier version of the NSX will be as good.

I can't help but wonder... what are the internal discussion like when it comes to naming the racier version. Is it going to be a GT3 or a Type R? Personally, I hope they stay true to Honda and keep the Type R namesake.

I don't know. I like the nsx for what it is. Oh course, more is better. I think 10% more power output would make it damn near perfect. If I wanted a GT3 car, I'd have gotten the Porsche GT3. The 991.2 is pretty drool-worthy, come to think of it.
Exactly, nsx is special because of what it is. For example a gen II NSX without all the hybrid drivetrain, rwd, lighter weight, and more power. Then it is essentially a McLaren 570S, and also similar to LP580-2.

I like to see a more powerful (650~700hp), more badass looking, slightly lighter (carbon fixed seats, highflow cats, race exhaust, etc) NSX-S or NSX-R, NSX-RGT, etc

The GT3 is really growing on me, I believe joining Porsche family is inevitable. it is hard to get allocation for new manual GT3

Last edited:
Back