NSX Future Support

mbk

Registered Member
As owners of NSXs the thought of future support in regards to parts availability is a question of concern. Aircraft builders have a responsibility to support, after the last vehicle leaves the line 25 years form that date contractually. I wonder will there be a time when the first generation NSX’s will have a lack of support. Mercedes has their program in which they are in full swing of supporting all their models and in essence can build almost any year of car. Is or should there be a concern that keeping an NSX might not be supported by Acura in the near future. Food for thought and discussion.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

This has been discussed before, but support should continue for a considerable period of time. Some of the 1991 specific parts like wheel speed sensors and interior bits have been discontinued, but because the car stayed largely the same until 2005, Honda will keep supporting it. Also, many of the parts are no longer stocked, but can be ordered from the parts suppliers in Japan. There likely will be greater wait times as the years go by, but many parts should still be available. Honestly the Tsunami did a lot more damage than time because it wiped out several of these OEM parts suppliers. Rather than find new supply chains for the NSX, Honda just discontinued the parts.

Just like with any old collector car, custom fabricated parts will be available for a price. How do you suppose old muscle & exotic cars get restored today? The NSX won't die simply because Honda stops producing parts. It may become more expensive to repair, but it'll still be possible to own one.

Manufacturers are required to support a vehicle for ten years. That's coming up in less than 3 years. On the other hand, people are keeping cars longer, so in order to make money, manufacturers will have to support their cars longer. Hopefully, the NSX won't die off to soon.

One of my cars is currently 46 years old.
I can get any part I want for it in 1-3 days tops.
If there's a market, there will be parts.
The NSX is a future classic. There will always be parts IMO.

One of my cars is currently 46 years old.
I can get any part I want for it in 1-3 days tops.
If there's a market, there will be parts.
The NSX is a future classic. There will always be parts IMO.

So where do you source the parts for this 46 year old car? Local or via internet?

Back