• img004 (Small).jpg
    img004 (Small).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,140
  • img005 (Small).jpg
    img005 (Small).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,134
Hi

A great farewell article.

I have never seen a T in real life. Until I do I will continue to think the coupe is nicest. I even like the pop up headlamps better than the new style.

I know that it is about 9000 different opinions on old style vs new style.

Regards

kouasupra said:
which magazine?

Hi

As the title says "Hemming Sports & Exotic". I have never seen that magazine over at this side of the lake though.

Regards

I have to find that magazine now :biggrin:

Thanks for the scan/post. Well written, captures the "spirit" of the NSX.

A moment of silence for the last NSX........................................................................................................Thank You :frown:

It's amazing how these same magazines have dogged the car since its inception.

They do the same thing in preference to BMW sedans versus all the competition. The BMW can have inferior performance, ergonomics, features, and pricing, and still, oh it has that "whatever" that makes it a BMW. Ditto for the any car other than the NSX. It's just not a Ferrari or a 911. The mag writers have been driving those crates since the 60s and have fond memories of the time they oversteered a 911 into the trees and the Ferrari broke down when the gas gauge went out and caused total electrical failure and left them stranded in subzero temperatures 50 miles from any other person. And, they get a little tear in their eyes over the bygone days. It doesn't have the "visceral thrill" of the Vette, nevermind how they dog THAT when they review the Vette...it's not "refined." Funny how advantages become disadvantages on different pages of the same magazine.

See...that's the problem. The NSX isn't 50 years old like the 911 is or the Dino series or even the Vette. It never had a chance to break down and strand its driver. It gave no great stories to tell. Sh!t like that is always WAY cooler years later. When it happens, you CURSE that POS vehicle. But, time has a way of being a lot kinder, because people laugh at it and making ppl laugh feels good.

I think the NSX was the car people loved to hate. It engendered some kind of jap-bashing sentiment. Remember the times, early 90s. "Rising Sun." Stupidest movie I've seen, about how the awful japs were going to take over the world, they were just better than we at everything, run for the hills. They were buying Rockefeller Ctr and everything else. The sky was falling. And, here is the NSX. It's not only going to kill the Americans like Honda already has, but it's gonna kill our precious memories too. All those lovely stories, we won't be having anymore of them to tell because this car never requires cursing. It never breaks down. It doesn't drop throttle spin off cliffs. Oh, boo hoo, woe is us.

So, the support for this car was always very begrudging. No "soul." Now that it's gone, they'll praise the sh!t out of it as the best car ever. Got soul in spades now that it's dead.

liftshard said:
Got soul in spades now that it's dead.

Hi

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the NSX.

One thing is for sure. The NSX I just started in sub zero temp to get it ready for the trip to winterparking tomorrow, is not dead.

It gives me a thrill everytime I see it. It will always do that even if it is 50 years old or 15 years old. The NSX as far as I am concern "got it" and always will even if it is "dead".

Regards

15 years is truly an eternity for a production cycle, NSX is still a great drive, but have over shadowed by many newbies. The biggest issue have always been the sub 300hp engine, but the package really works on the NSX, if I had more, I probably wouldn’t know what to do with them.

Obviously, I choose and NSX over P car this time around, by purchasing an 03 - not just because of the way it drives, but also the history as well as some sentimental value. After all, my biggest hero Ayrton Senna helped developing the car, and both Gordon Murray (Designer for the McLaren F1/SLR Vision) and Ayrton Senna (Three times F1 champ) also drove one on daily basis. Gordon Murray was talking about just how good the NSX is and he drove one for six years as his daily driver. The only suggestion from him – have little more power and better steering, the car would have been perfect. Well, if it’s good enough for them, it sure is good enough for any of us. As for me, I promise my self an NSX after May 1994 after Senna’s unfortunate event on the Imola track. It’s purely for sentimental reason. Fast forward 11 years, I’m still proud to own one of the most unique automotive history.

I have followed the NSX development ever since 1989 when I read the prototype articles in the Japanese magazine, I was in HS and I was really into Honda’s F1 involvement. The NSX have never let me down, from dreaming of owning one and actually have it my garage. It's truly amazing to see how much effort Honda have put into the car, even when the annual production dropped below 300 per year. The improvements continued. The 2002 update probably cost Honda more money than the total dollar figure generated from selling the car (around 1200 car made from 2002 to 2005). To raise the car’s top speed from 167 to 175mph was no easy task without HP increase. I remembered how much Ferrari had to do on the Testarossa on both HP and aero redesgn just to raise the top speed by 10 mph, and the price bloomed went from MSRP of around $80 grand (1986 Testarossa) to $225 grand (512TR) in matter of ten years. The NSX have evolved so much from 91, 97, to 02, for a very small price gained - in exotic car standard. For have driven an 91, owning a 95 and now a 03, the improvement is so great that if I was blind folded while driving these cars, I would certainly think I was driving three different cars, and each evolution really confirmed how perfect the chassis is, which can stand each upgrades with ease - it just gets better and better each time.

The price point is really not that bad, for what you’re getting, 90 grand is still a chunk of change, but for an all aluminum body, high tech engine and awesome suspension set up, the balance of the car truly deserve the demanded price. Forget about the indash CD player/Navi system, or remote trunk release, etc. It is a shame to see how many Honda Bashers that will argue how much better a Corvette is, and I have experienced the animosity on the S2k forum. It is sad to see how people would attack the NSX and have never driven one. Well, next one is on its way and I’m looking forward to own one when it comes out.

Vancehu said:
15 years is truly an eternity for a production cycle, NSX is still a great drive, but have over shadowed by many newbies. The biggest issue have always been the sub 300hp engine, but the package really works on the NSX, if I had more, I probably wouldn’t know what to do with them.

Obviously, I choose and NSX over P car this time around, by purchasing an 03 - not just because of the way it drives, but also the history as well as some sentimental value. After all, my biggest hero Ayrton Senna helped developing the car, and both Gordon Murray (Designer for the McLaren F1/SLR Vision) and Ayrton Senna (Three times F1 champ) also drove one on daily basis. Gordon Murray was talking about just how good the NSX is and he drove one for six years as his daily driver. The only suggestion from him – have little more power and better steering, the car would have been perfect. Well, if it’s good enough for them, it sure is good enough for any of us. As for me, I promise my self an NSX after May 1994 after Senna’s unfortunate event on the Imola track. It’s purely for sentimental reason. Fast forward 11 years, I’m still proud to own one of the most unique automotive history.

I have followed the NSX development ever since 1989 when I read the prototype articles in the Japanese magazine, I was in HS and I was really into Honda’s F1 involvement. The NSX have never let me down, from dreaming of owning one and actually have it my garage. It's truly amazing to see how much effort Honda have put into the car, even when the annual production dropped below 300 per year. The improvements continued. The 2002 update probably cost Honda more money than the total dollar figure generated from selling the car (around 1200 car made from 2002 to 2005). To raise the car’s top speed from 167 to 175mph was no easy task without HP increase. I remembered how much Ferrari had to do on the Testarossa on both HP and aero redesgn just to raise the top speed by 10 mph, and the price bloomed went from MSRP of around $80 grand (1986 Testarossa) to $225 grand (512TR) in matter of ten years. The NSX have evolved so much from 91, 97, to 02, for a very small price gained - in exotic car standard. For have driven an 91, owning a 95 and now a 03, the improvement is so great that if I was blind folded while driving these cars, I would certainly think I was driving three different cars, and each evolution really confirmed how perfect the chassis is, which can stand each upgrades with ease - it just gets better and better each time.

The price point is really not that bad, for what you’re getting, 90 grand is still a chunk of change, but for an all aluminum body, high tech engine and awesome suspension set up, the balance of the car truly deserve the demanded price. Forget about the indash CD player/Navi system, or remote trunk release, etc. It is a shame to see how many Honda Bashers that will argue how much better a Corvette is, and I have experienced the animosity on the S2k forum. It is sad to see how people would attack the NSX and have never driven one. Well, next one is on its way and I’m looking forward to own one when it comes out.

Great post

Very similar article in The Robb Report Collection October 2005, only just got around to reading it and found it in there.

Back