NSX Dirty Secret, No 91 thru 94 Owner Will Acknowledge

I know I'll get flamed big time for this, but,.. I'll start with this, I have a 1996 Brooklands, for 5 years now. When I drove it I thought something was wrong, 2nd gear was supposed to go up to 80mph. All I hear and read is you have to get the JDM gears or it's not as fun and engaging, better yet get the 6th speed. So I though maybe my NSX has been upgraded before I purchased it. I started digging online and talking with NSX owners: everyone I spoke with and everything I read says JDM gears and 6th speed are the only gearboxes with short 2nd gear. I was also told the 1995 and 1996 NSX was heavy and slow and worth less than the 1991 thru 1994 NSX.

Reading the NSX upgrade list by year it turns out, they were wrong about that and many other things, Honda spent ton of money redesigning the NSX, because of this the price was raised from $61,000 to $83,500. This thing was built like a tank, made more beautiful, more fun to drive and only added a 100 pounds. what's not love.
Everyone is sleeping on the 1995 to 1996 NSX only 1205 made in the U.S. Why is this a secret?

The 1995 and 1996 NSX was upgraded with:

Targa Top
Power Steering
Changed gearing of 2nd gear in Manual Transmission
Modified airflow to brakes to improve cooling
Throttle-By-Wire
OBD-II
Limited Slip Differential Changes on manual transmission cars. Went from Torque Control Differential to a Torque Reactive Differential - when combined with Throttle-By-Wire, increases speeds out of a corner by 10%.

Bumper reinforcements were changed to extruded aluminum instead of the stamped steel
Approx. 100 lbs heaver than 1991/1992 models due to reinforcements for targa top, including: The base of the B pillar where it joins the rocker panel, larger rear bulkhead crossbar, thicker trunk leading edge panel, a redesigned and thicker-walled rear roof section, a redesigned front roof rail section, additional rib in the center rear bulkhead section, a completely redesigned and thicker upper A-pillar. There's also a redesigned and thicker upper dashboard cross member and a redesigned front lower floor section. The extruded aluminum side sills were extensively reinforced - wall thickness of the vertical center web of the 5-sided extrusion went from 2mm to 6mm.

Have you ever heard about these features of the 95 thru 96? How can it be undiscovered? Has no one ever driven one these years with the updated gearing? How can these years with all of these new and updated features be so hidden. It's like a secret you are Not supposed to talk about, because no one does.

Nice to hear from a fellow brooklands and 300k, wow your living the dream my friend.

If the OP only have read the Wiki, he would have discovered all the information and updates by year. However, he still go some things wrong.
- 95-96 MY these are the slowest
- Not quite OBD2....more like 1.5
- No major improvements until 97 (NA2).
These model years were a stop gap measure, with the introduction of the Targa.

Bram

Zero2. All correct. And most people who say a 95/96 is slower than the other 3.0 cars are using their butt dyno. It isnt. Tests of period say it has basically the same 0-60 and 1/4 mi times as the earlier cars. Largely due I think to the shorter 2nd pulling better thru VTEC. And on track Honda said the improved diff actually improved corner speeds. Its one achilles heel as someone said is its ECU is a unicorn and hard to replace. So other than that and not being as stiff as a coupe, which some extra bracing will largely take care of, a 95/96 will easily hold its own against other NA1 cars in performance. Ask me how I know.😉

As a point of reference the 96 ecu can control a na2 ice just fine.
In my 28 years of driving nsx of all years the biggest "difference " is going from a coupe to the T roof off...
After that is having extra ballast ie a passenger
all the rest of the 6 speed/brakes/3.0 vs 3.2 are more subtle and can be magnified by the amount of hubris at the time of discussion.

Last edited:
Don't bogart the hubris..
Here is one for my bud Rog
It is actually a "boisterous" circumcision :ninja:

91-94 are better than 95/96 even with gearing. 95/96 also come with a bonus that most electrical parts only work on these years creating an issue for repair work.
When you buy your gears come and talk to me. never heard or experienced issues, it's a Honda baby.

Zero2. All correct. And most people who say a 95/96 is slower than the other 3.0 cars are using their butt dyno. It isnt. Tests of period say it has basically the same 0-60 and 1/4 mi times as the earlier cars. Largely due I think to the shorter 2nd pulling better thru VTEC. And on track Honda said the improved diff actually improved corner speeds. Its one achilles heel as someone said is its ECU is a unicorn and hard to replace. So other than that and not being as stiff as a coupe, which some extra bracing will largely take care of, a 95/96 will easily hold its own against other NA1 cars in performance. Ask me how I
If the OP only have read the Wiki, he would have discovered all the information and updates by year. However, he still go some things wrong.
- 95-96 MY these are the slowest
- Not quite OBD2....more like 1.5
- No major improvements until 97 (NA2).
These model years were a stop gap measure, with the introduction of the Targa.

Bram
95- 96 not the slowest per Honda themselves, OBD2 works just fine and easy to use, just plug up a scan tool, very convenient, Yes major improvements I just list some of them. All are great to have, improves the NSX. Sounds like someone jealous of the Targa. Ask any Targa guy if he would weld his roof up, you would get no takers.

Found the Automatic owner! Let's flame them!!!

j/k

BTW the gearing difference is 1.727 vs 1.8 for second gear. ~81.5mph vs ~78.2mph.
So in all your research you actually think Honda would shave 3 mph off 2nd gear and call it good, is the same company that made the legendary NSX,. Is that what you have us believe? I happen own a 96 NSX there's no way it can go to 78.2 mph in 2nd. Ask someone for a ride there's and find out for yourself.
I wonder if a 1997 NSX can go to 78.2 mph in 2nd?

Last edited:
So in all your research you actually think Honda would shave 3 mph off 2nd gear and call it good, is the same company that made the legendary NSX,. Is that what you have us believe? I happen own a 96 NSX there's no way it can go to 78.2 mph in 2nd. Ask someone for a ride there's and find out for yourself.

I wonder if a 1997 NSX can go to 78.2 mph in 2nd?
No they didn't just reduce 2nd gear to ~78mph and call it good. They gave the car a six speed in 1997 which further reduced the second gear speed to 74mph according to the wiki or 72mph according to the gear speed calculator. Facts are from Honda not me.

But hey feel free to share your hubris I mean research.

Manual Transmission

The standard manual transmission is designed to provide impressive durability, with short shift throws and quick, precise response. Shift throws, in fact, are the shortest of virtually any exotic sports car on the market. A dual-cone synchronizer is used for second gear, for quicker, smoother shifting, and reverse gear is also equipped with synchromesh. For 1995, the second gear ratio has been changed from 1.727:1to 1.800:1- 4.2% lower. This change was made to improve driveability and provide better response.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/release...a004c34c9f7-1995-acura-nsx-nsx-t-introduction

Last edited:
Back