NSX development

Hi everyone,

I am wondering about the development of the NSX. I thought that it is going to be developed by the Honda R&D of America in Ohio, Raymond and California. But I read the article from Automobile Magazine, they are saying that currently there are 20 engineers in Japan that are developing the NSX powertrain including the hybrid system, engine, transmission, and electric motor. So does this makes that the NSX is made in Japan but it was assembly in the USA?

Another question is that is the NSX design by the Honda America or is that an international project through Honda global?

I have read that the engine will be assembled in Japan, however it is all still speculation at present, still 2 more years to go.

lets hope it has a fraction of this sort of performance http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/road-tests/8681245/First-drive-Porsche-918-Spyder
i know the petrol engine wont be as large but still if it performs along these lines then bring it on!
I have tried to find the article saying that the engine was being developed in Japan but cant, i know everywhere else it says Ohio which made me go 'thats new'

I believe it will be built in the US of A. Not sure what state. Unless plans change, as did the release date of the 2013 NSX. :D The parts are suppose to be designed in Japan. R&D is in both Japan and US of A. But as who makes the final decision, and where? I have no idea.

Really annoyed i didnt save the article as everything else i have read said Ohio and the latest article from Ted (santa) Klaus confirms that as does all the comments above, maybe the base engine comes from Japan and is being partly assembled there and finished in Ohio.
All i know is that the car is finally coming together in a serious way, they are going to race it first then produce it and Honda are going back to F1 through Mclaren so it really cant get much better than that, and after reading that article on what a similar sort of drive train does to that Porsche then hurry up Honda and bring on 2014 racing season.

I don't think the chassis development is as tough as people are making it out to be, since all they have to do is tweak the original NSX to fit the hybrid system (Ironman's car was simply the NSX with a body kit on it).

I do hope they do something like a Ti manifold/exhaust system because right there alone, it will save 30 to 50 lbs.

The original NSX wasn't really that light with the aluminum chassis, until we mod it with lighter parts, I think they can do it up front.

Just got a text from a friend earlier today: "our company is making a part for the new NSX ! "

Mother Honda is rounding up suppliers, this is a good thing

I have a few Honda engineering friends here in Ohio and rumor is that there will be a prototype at Mid-Ohio the Monday after the Honda Indy 200 . this will obviously be closed to the public

.......and yes employee selection has begun

They must have perfect attendance for the last three years and zero quality issues for that period of time also. They will be hand picked from all North American assembly plants including Canada and Mexico.

FYI my wife has been a line associate @ MAP (Marysville Auto Plant ) for 19 years building Accords and TL's and yes she has her app in for approval.

Normal process time on Accords in 58 seconds per process............process time on the new NSX 45 minutes per process

Basically Japan has dictated that when the car leaves your station for the next there will be zero tolerance for error

Last edited:
...and the "I know a guy" quotes are coming back out.

BD The original NSX with the new concept kit could only do 30 mph :tongue: I wonder how the original chassis would fair if designing the new NSX. I know I can't wait to see it racing in the United Sports Car serires(whatever its called)

Those hand picked employees will manually assemble the cars ?
From what I understand the car will be mostly hand assembled

- - - Updated - - -

...and the "I know a guy" quotes are coming back out.

I understand your skepticism after all you don't know me from Adam but he was correct on the site location 6 months ago. The process cycle time and associate requirements are what is on the internal Honda website (associates only) A lot info is still being held close to the vest.

I believe the engine will be cast and assembled in Anna Ohio.....why because Honda's culture of sell it here make it here....that is my best guess nothing to back it up

I'm thinking we'll get a lot more info leaking from Honda America than we ever would from Honda Japan.
No language barrier plus internet and everyone knows someone who knows someone etc.
Honda US will have a tough time keeping the lid on things I expect

Popeye,

Thanks for the information. What you provided was one of my primary concerns about the vehicle being assembled here in the US. Quality. It sounds like Honda is on top of this project and want it to be perfect. Personally, I had some apprehensions about the build location and associated talent pool, but your information provides me some comfort.

I only know what my wife has told me as well as my three friends in engineering. My wife works in assembly, one friend is involved in engineering side of interior design at East Liberty, another is a drivetrain engineer at HRA in Raymond and the 3rd a engineer at Anna where they cast the engines and cylinder heads.

I also a long time friend who is a teamleader in paint dept @ MAP and he believes that the NSX will have it's own dedicated paint department; he also is looking to transfer

They must have perfect attendance for the last three years and zero quality issues for that period of time also. They will be hand picked from all North American assembly plants including Canada and Mexico.

...process time on the new NSX 45 minutes per process

Basically Japan has dictated that when the car leaves your station for the next there will be zero tolerance for error

Holy crap. Is there anyone that would fit that criteria?!

Originally Posted by popeye
They must have perfect attendance for the last three years and zero quality issues for that period of time also.

Not in America...and not from union workers. :D

Last edited:
Originally Posted by popeye
They must have perfect attendance for the last three years and zero quality issues for that period of time also.

Not in America...and not from union workers. :D

...........they must be able to consume a six pack of beer and a few bong hits and be able to resume work after lunch....

Honda is not and never will be union

- - - Updated - - -

...........they must be able to consume a six pack of beer and a few bong hits and be able to resume work after lunch....
That's a rather low opinion of Honda's American associates, why the hate ?

- - - Updated - - -

My wife's dept coordinator informed her today that there are over a thousand applicants and it was well known by all not to bother to summit unless you met the attendance standard

Last edited:
lol..my snide remark was in reference to another automaker(domestic) where a news crew caught a bunch of workers on a lunch break swigging brews in the parking lot.

Back