NSX development started again

Good find Netviper.
Ill believe when it arrives in my dealership. Like the article says......"we've all been burnt before!!"
Im glad Honda finally grew some balls since they noticed cars like GTR, Zr1, SLS AMG and even the rediculously expensive LFA are still selling out.
Lets all hope this latest "Honda handjob" leads to a "happy ending"!!

Good find Netviper.
Ill believe when it arrives in my dealership. Like the article says......"we've all been burnt before!!"
Im glad Honda finally grew some balls since they noticed cars like GTR, Zr1, SLS AMG and even the rediculously expensive LFA are still selling out.
Lets all hope this latest "Honda handjob" leads to a "happy ending"!!

Let's also hope they realize ALL of those cars are NOT hybrids and have a BUTTLOAD of HP.

They made no mention of powertrain or HP. Im assuming thats still up for discussion at Honda HQ. Hopefully they dont go all "sporty hybrid" like the CRZ........that would be a waste:rolleyes:

They made no mention of powertrain or HP. Im assuming thats still up for discussion at Honda HQ. Hopefully they dont go all "sporty hybrid" like the CRZ........that would be a waste:rolleyes:

I think the new R&T mentioned 400HP, which is great if it is 2700 lbs.

C&D said Hybrid.:mad: NOBODY WANTS THAT HONDA. LISTEN UP. WE ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS.

Smart move I say. Considering that it won it's debut championship in the 2010 SuperGT series, it is the perfect time to try to get the car out in production. With a victory like that car enthusiasts must be intrigued on what a production version of the car can offer.

Just wondering...when the new generation NSX comes out... will it lower the prices of our current NSXs??? thoughts on this anyone?

From the March 2011 issue of Motor Trend:

ACURA
Acura NSX
The on-again, off-again, on-again saga of the NSX continues. You may recall Honda had been testing a V-8 powered, rear-drive prototype expected to be the NSX, but killed the project when the economy imploded. Now we hear from our man in Japan that the NSX is back on, but in a much greener, V-6-hybrid form with all-wheel drive, coming by 2014. Just build it, and keep it an Acura, please.
honda-NSX-successor-front-three-quarters-view.jpg

Last edited:
Like I said. If it is a v6 hybrid don't even bother wasting the time and money to build it. Nobody wants that.

Almost every week for the past several years, I've checked in on the 2nd gen NSX forum on Prime, hoping for favorable news. While this latest blurb from AutoBlog instills hope, I remain skeptical. Honda has cried wolf so many times, I am no longer a believer.

Thanks Honda, but I will keep my NSX as a testament to your technology at the time, but too much time has passed and it's time to pass the torch. I put a deposit on a 2012 Nissan GTR and although I have tried to remain loyal (I've owned 3 NSX's), Nissan had the foresight to forge ahead, while you wavered.

Honda's logo "The Power of Dreams" is no longer applicable. Maybe it should be retitled... "Profit Without Passion"?

Almost every week for the past several years, I've checked in on the 2nd gen NSX forum on Prime, hoping for favorable news. While this latest blurb from AutoBlog instills hope, I remain skeptical. Honda has cried wolf so many times, I am no longer a believer.

Thanks Honda, but I will keep my NSX as a testament to your technology at the time, but too much time has passed and it's time to pass the torch. I put a deposit on a 2012 Nissan GTR and although I have tried to remain loyal (I've owned 3 NSX's), Nissan had the foresight to forge ahead, while you wavered.

Honda's logo "The Power of Dreams" is no longer applicable. Maybe it should be retitled... "Profit Without Passion"?

Well said.

I honestly would take a hybrid 400 HP V6 mid engine sports car over a 500+ HP long nose, no ass having front engine car. The market is saturated with front engines and the NSX is supposed to be mid engine, not that weak fad-follower that was going to be called the HSV.

Atleast I know the interior will be beautiful though lol.

to comply with future epa emissions, it will need to be a hybrid or turbo. Maybe 4 banger turbo since that is the direction Formula 1 is heading in 2013.

I would be fine with a V6 hybrid power plant as long as it was 400+ HP with comparble torque and the weight was kept in the low 3K range.

The original NSX in 91 was loaded with new technology.
Why should the new one be any different?

I'm not getting excited, but I hope Honda does the right thing and produces the new NSX as an Acura.

Last I heard(from MotorTrend, or Autoweek, or somewhere) was they were working on a Front wheel Drive V6 Sport Coupe based off the same platform the Accord is based off of. I also read that the NSX replacement is in work but not to expect it until after this new sports coupe. I will believe it when I see it in the showroom.

I honestly would take a hybrid 400 HP V6 mid engine sports car over a 500+ HP long nose, no ass having front engine car. The market is saturated with front engines and the NSX is supposed to be mid engine, not that weak fad-follower that was going to be called the HSV.

Atleast I know the interior will be beautiful though lol.

+1. well said!

Summary of Honda statements since 2005 regarding the NSX:

We're bringing it back
We're not bringing it back
We're bringing it back
We're bringing it back
We're bringing it back
We're bringing it back
We're bringing it back

Honda Motor Co. officially announced its plan to develop a high-performance sports car to serve as a successor to the now-defunct NSX.

President Takanobu Ito confirmed earlier reports about the car at a press conference held Friday to highlight Honda's 2011 motor sports activities.

The new model will be based on the 3.4-liter HSV-010GT race car. Honda runs the car on the Super GT auto racing circuit.

Ito said he wanted to commercialize the HSV because other automakers participate in the competition with racing versions based on cars sold on the market.

"I think Honda should respect the history of the Super GT competition (as a stock-car race)," Ito said.

Ito also indicated Honda may develop a low-priced small sports car.

"There are 2 types of sports cars--affordable and high-performance. I hope we will be able to market both," he said.

The Honda HSV-010 looks flat out wicked, IMO better looking than anything else available right now. If Honda makes this car and it has at least 500hp, it will the most desirable sports car.

I think the new R&T mentioned 400HP, which is great if it is 2700 lbs.
400hp was great 10 years ago. 400hp/2700lbs will feel underpowered in a week. My previous SCed nsx weighted 2791lbs and 420bhp, it was fast but just not enough after a while, feels like a normal car once you get used to the power.

It needs at least 500hp to be enough for buyers that are spending more than $75k+ IMO.

Honda’s president recently told a Japanese business newspaper that the company continues work on a new sports car, and the project has now been confirmed to us by an American Acura executive. The company line is that this new car will not follow up the NSX, of course—Acura told us that last summer that the mid-engined car was “too high a halo“ and that the next sports car wouldn’t be as ambitious or as highly priced. The vehicle that was to pick up the NSX’s torch, a V-10–powered supercar tested at the Nürburgring, was fitted for cement shoes and dumped off Tokyo’s Rainbow Bridge due to the usual concerns of high cost and obscene consumption. We also know that it won’t use a V-8, since that engine program was axed some time ago, as was further development of the company’s general rear-wheel-drive platform.

Only a chemically imbalanced optimist could react to these facts without tearing up, but at the minimum, the information helps give shape to Honda’s plans. An Acura spokesperson tells us that what it terms a “sports model” will “meet the needs of the current times and customers,” and that it would be an “exciting model that also achieves outstanding environmental and safety performance.” Based on that, as well as the company’s current platforms and engines, the sports car is likely to be a front-engined, all-wheel-driver with a V-6 that could be turbocharged or possibly even hybridized. While that could have the makings of an outstanding grand tourer with true continent-spanning range, it could also turn out to be the equivalent of an Acura RL coupe with the dull charm of the Honda CR-Z. Without a rear-drive platform, it seems unlikely that we’ll see something as visceral as the S2000—never mind the NSX.

Whatever form is decided for its sports car, neither the Japanese HQ nor its American outpost has said yet when we can expect to see the vehicle, even in concept form. The new car may not be positioned as a successor to the NSX, but let’s hope the company’s foray into Ferrari-baiting at least serves as inspiration.

The Honda HSV-010 looks flat out wicked, IMO better looking than anything else available right now. If Honda makes this car and it has at least 500hp, it will the most desirable sports car.

400hp was great 10 years ago. 400hp/2700lbs will feel underpowered in a week. My previous SCed nsx weighted 2791lbs and 420bhp, it was fast but just not enough after a while, feels like a normal car once you get used to the power.

It needs at least 500hp to be enough for buyers that are spending more than $75k+ IMO.

Right there with you Jason!

Summary of Honda statements since 2005 regarding the NSX:

We're bringing it back
We're bringing it back
We're bringing it back
We're bringing it back
We're bringing it back
We're bringing it back

sounds like the Integra Type R... Honda! :rolleyes: Believe it when you see it, don't hold your breath. I held my breath for a new Integra Type R and I died. I am now a ghost forever haunting Honda forums to warn people not to repeat my mistake of believing what Honda says. :wink:

Back