NSX designed for Ford?

Hi First Im not hear to stir anything up just trying to get some info.

I have been told the NSX platform was developed in france as project GN-34 for Ford, The powertrain had already been contracted, the 3.0 Yamaha engine that ended up in the SHO taurus. When Ford sold off the platform Honda picked up the design and went with the NSX. Ford was stuck with all these 3.0 Yamaha engines and stuck then in the taursus to run out the contract.

Is their any truth to this?

NovaSS said:

I have been told the NSX platform was developed in france as project GN-34 for Ford, The powertrain had already been contracted, the 3.0 Yamaha engine that ended up in the SHO taurus. When Ford sold off the platform Honda picked up the design and went with the NSX. Ford was stuck with all these 3.0 Yamaha engines and stuck then in the taursus to run out the contract.

a conspiracy theory based around the orgins of the NSX? shocking!:biggrin:

I've had a copy of "car styling" (japanese auto/industrial design) magazine that covers the development of nsx by honda...from concept sketches / renderings / scale models to full size clay models......the whole car was designed & developed "in-house"....It is a flgship car for honda....it doesn't make sense for them to go with garage sale ideas........I claim BS on this one as well...

It wasn't the NSX. I've heard something like this, but can't remember the specifics. It was something like Ford hired someone high-end to design a car for them. Ford decided they didn't want it, so the people who designed it used it themselves. Def not the NSX though. I'm thinking maybe it was Ferrari.

The NSX development is well documented and Ford did not play a role.

Shumdit said:
Nothing against Ford, but you must not know anything about the NSX to actually consider this could be a true story.

Hey I heard it on the internet so it must be true !

It wasn't the NSX. I've heard something like this, but can't remember the specifics. It was something like Ford hired someone high-end to design a car for them. Ford decided they didn't want it, so the people who designed it used it themselves. Def not the NSX though. I'm thinking maybe it was Ferrari.

Thanks, like most rumors there is truth in part of it.

I'm a little suspicious of "NovaSS" since this was his first post on NSXPrime and considering his name, I think he really did intend to "stir something up" here. :D j/k

NSX-Tuner said:
I'm a little suspicious of "NovaSS" since this was his first post on NSXPrime and considering his name, I think he really did intend to "stir something up" here. :D j/k

Hey thats okay, Im not here to stir stuff up, I heard a rumor and was trying to get to the bottom of it so I came here. I figured you guys would know the truth.

As for the "Nova SS".... yep I have a couple, a few fords, a few chryslers a couple GMs and a ricer or two ! As a moderator on a couple "automotive related sites" the last thing I would do is intrude here just to make waves, Peace guys !

NovaSS said:
Hey thats okay, Im not here to stir stuff up, I heard a rumor and was trying to get to the bottom of it so I came here. I figured you guys would know the truth.

As for the "Nova SS".... yep I have a couple, a few fords, a few chryslers a couple GMs and a ricer or two ! As a moderator on a couple "automotive related sites" the last thing I would do is intrude here just to make waves, Peace guys !

No Problem NovaSS,

I can understand that you would want to know more about a rumor like this. However, not every rumor as a truth in it.
It is absolutely not uncommon for car manufacturers to have outside companies do design work for them. Think Bertone or Pinifarina to name a European example.
Also, people tend to see a brand name as a kind of 'solid block' and forget than it is the engineers working inside the company who design and build the cars. And it is not uncommon for engineers to leave one company to start working for another.
Just suppose Ferrari would have kept working for Alfa Romeo instead of starting his own business.

I think the Honda company is a bit of an outsider here. Many parts of a car that other companies buy from outside sources (transmissions, fuel injections systems, ABS) Honda chooses to develop and design on their own. And sometimes parts, like diesel engines, the first buy from others and then in the end decide to build their own (and better).
Maybe that's one of the reasons I like Honda...

Found this on the internet. No info on what Ford did with the design, but it talks about where they got it.
Hi guys,

Got this from a friend who is way, way deep inside Ford (not Roush).
Interesting stuff.....

Mike

Mike, thanks for the nice report and pictures from the Woodward dream
cruise.
Those two mid-engined prototypes you saw at Roush are two survivors from ourGN34 program, which was going to be Ford's answer to the Corvette. Those two examples don't just have a few Pantera parts on them - they are actually Pantera bodies that were grafted onto fabricated chassis.
Take a close look at the doors, roof, and windshield. I saw them take a brand new 1985 gray market Pantera GT5, chop it completely up, and use the body as a basis for a workhorse (I'm not sure if one of the vehicles in the museum is what's left of the '85 as there were more than two built). Later, the person who did the body work on my car sold them several older Pantera bodies, including a '71, for them to use, instead of throwing away 85% of a brand new car. I think I'm the one that put them in touch with this person, saved Ford a lot of money, and never even got a "thank-you".
I think I still have two brown armrests from the '85 they chopped up. Most of the GN34s were powered by a Yamaha designed SHO V6 engine with a ZF 5 speed (integral bellhousing, perhaps from the BMW M-1?). There were 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, and I think 3.6 liter versions as the car kept getting heavier. This was the late 80s so some people wanted to make a luxo-cruiser as the Vette was becoming, while the die-hard
enthusiasts wanted pure performance with no frills at all. Chissaun (sp?) in France was going to build the production bodies. There were also Ford EXPs used as earlier prototypes - some were 4 wheel drive with a center diff and everything! I remember they had IMSA style fender flares, and you could see the engine through the EXP's bubble hatch glass. (They were just mules)
I've heard rumors that one 4wd EXP version survived but I've never seen it. There was also a show car, called the Miah, done by Ital design, that was purchased, and was also considered for the GN34. The Miah was like a Lotus Europa, only way sexier, and was featured on the cover of a hard-bound book on one-off show cars. I saw this car too get taken apart and it was also sadly scrapped. Just a few weeks ago I was talking to someone at our Arizona Proving grounds who had done all of the wiring on the Miah. The reason the GN34 was cancelled wasn't that it was overly ambitious – it came down that there was only enough development money at that time for one of two programs - either the GN34, or a "four-door Bronco" as it was called. As much as I like performance cars, our company would probably be out of business right now if we had chosen to continue with the GN34 instead of a "four-door Bronco". As you know, demand for sports cars in the early 90s plummeted, while demand for "four door Broncos" sky-rocketed. Our "four door Bronco" was introduced as the Explorer.

Regards,

Brian J Fedoroff

NovaSS said:

No. I heard the NSX was really secretly designed by aliens in outer space.

jond said:
No doubt. Ford has created some of the coolest cars in history.
Shelby GT350
427 Cobra
GT40
GT
Cobra-R
don't forget the Pinto!!! that thing was cool!!!:biggrin:

91 X said:
don't forget the Pinto!!! that thing was cool!!!:biggrin:

There was a girl in my high school class that had Pinto with the following vanity plate: FIREBAL :eek:

Remeber the title of the thread...

NSX designed FOR Ford ?... not by Ford.

I was asking if a contractual design being done for Ford ( by an outside contractor ) was later to become the basis for a platform pick up by Honda. Using outside design studios is not unheard of in the automotive world. Did I beleive the story, not really but I figured to ask the experts.

Since you don't know what happened... All right, here is NSX 101:

Simple Philosophy by Honda: Efficiency, reliability, practicality, and cost of ownership. Honda do not share their technology with other companies. What other companies does to crack and copy Honda's technology is another story.

Neo Sports Experimental "NS-X" project conceived in 1984, a year after Honda re-entered F1 as constructor's championship.

The first mid Engine Test type was done on a CRX. Honda used it to determine if a MR was the best platform to use.

After Honda determined the platform, in order to achieve their philosophy of lightweight, efficient package, aluminum was chosen as chassis material. NSX was the first production car to use all aluminum chassis, suspension, etc.

Test engines were V6, V6 turbo, and V12. V6 was chosen for best weight distribution and package efficiency. Forced induction was written out after the development of the VTEC.

Original C30A engine was based on the Acura/Honda Legend "C" series block.

DOHC was fitted during the last year of NSX development before production, the production model was extended an inch longer, in order to fit the larger DOHC engine. The DOHC VTEC boosted extra 20 HP over the SOHC unit.

NSX was the first production car using Titanium con-rods.

When the NSX was introduced, Few Honda models were in the market: Civic/CRX, Accord, Prelude, Legend, and Integra.

Until that point, Honda's only association with "another" car manufacture was Rover. Honda supplied only engines to Rover’s production cars. If you recall, they attempted to sell the "Sterling" Rover in the US, which failed miserably.

In the market place, Honda and Yamaha are competitors; therefore, there is no R & D relationship between the two companies. In fact, Honda has no R & D relationship with any other car manufactures, even today.

Therefore, the story you heard was not only inaccurate, but also ridiculous. Hopefully, you didn’t make up this story. Unless you can disclose the source, you can’t possibly believe the story.

Before you post further, look into the FAQ section, you will find more useful information that will help you resolve and understand any "questions" before making another question related post.

As for the platform, there aren’t many out there. FF, FR, MR. Practically, every car manufactures out there – at one time or another, played with all three platform, on production cars, or concept cars.. yes, including Ford. When a car manufacture is developing a new model, it is usually kept a secret, so no one else can just walk down the isle and pick up the blue print and use it.

brahtw8 said:
There was a girl in my high school class that had Pinto with the following vanity plate: FIREBAL :eek:

Somewhere I read that the modern afterburners on fighter planes were invented after an aerospace engineer got rear-ended in his pinto and survived... :biggrin:

Back