NSX convertible?

squid2004

Is this even a possible conversion option? Anyone every done something like this?

I think it would look so damn sweet (with the top off/down), but I'm sure technically it can't be done :frown:

You're asking for a good ol' fashioned flaming

....and here it is.................it looks awful top up or down, and i like to modify! Buy a car thats designed to be convertible with all the relevant/important requirements already done! :)

Last edited:
There was a red one for sale on eBay not to terribly long ago if memory serves. You might be able to dig up some photos on the previous auction search.

squid2004 said:
...I think it would look so damn sweet (with the top off/down), but I'm sure technically it can't be done :frown:

I've seen a few in person and dog poop looks better.

squid2004 said:
Is this even a possible conversion option? Anyone every done something like this?

I think it would look so damn sweet (with the top off/down), but I'm sure technically it can't be done :frown:

I hate to say it, but you really should have hit the 'search' key...there are numerous thread on this already. NSX Prime user 'Juice' owns a convertible in Ohio.

talk about poor resale value! I wouldnt pay more than $2-3k for an NSX convertable. I would use it as a parts car. I think that they are gross.

Personally I don't like convertibles, period. Visually though, this convertible NSX looks pretty good. To me anyway.

Attachments

• convertible NSX.jpg
    convertible NSX.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 749
KingsCourt said:
Personally I don't like convertibles, period. Visually though, this convertible NSX looks pretty good. To me anyway.
Hmmm not too bad. I don't think I'd butcher mine but if I ever found a wrecked one or something with extremely high miles that was cheap, I might have fun with it :biggrin:

squid2004 said:
Hmmm not too bad. I don't think I'd butcher mine but if I ever found a wrecked one or something with extremely high miles that was cheap, I might have fun with it :biggrin:

Not even high mileage cars could justify it for me.....but for those who enjoy it, that is the beauty of choice.

KingsCourt said:

I think that is Ice-T's car....not bad for a convertible.

u asked for it!!! he he he :biggrin:
sorry to bring this back, coud'nt resist :biggrin:
see thread: That's one ugly Nsx.

PA230237Small.jpg

amgnsx said:
u asked for it!!! he he he :biggrin:
sorry to bring this back, coud'nt resist :biggrin:
see thread: That's one ugly Nsx.

PA230237Small.jpg

I'm sorry to say that I have seen that car in person and it is/was located in Phoenix. It is even more hideous in person.

Hey, there's that dumbass with a convertible NSX!

Oh God, here we go again. Just for the flame boards, I thought I had better chime in. Yeah, I own a convertible NSX. It has its ups and downs. First off, prepare to get flamed by all the NSX purists here on Prime. It never stops with these guys and in some ways I don't blame them. The NSX was never designed to be a convertible so you will have to sacrifice certain atributes that you would normally get to enjoy, namely track time. :frown:

In the summer the car is a gem. I can't stress how different and enjoyable a convertible is compared to the targa. And believe it or not, the car behaves incredibly well as a convertible. My car has a bit mor flex, but not as much as others would love to believe. The air flow dynamics are what's most impressive. You can actually hear the wind rip around the vehicle as you accelerate. Interior noise is not nearly as loud as it probably should be considering the lack of aerodynamic tuning for this specific purpose.

The BAD! Getting the seals to behave properly is a bitch. Roll down the window and roll it back up while in motion and you will be treated to a whistling noise the likes of which the God's could only imagine. Of course, rain then becomes a problem as well. But not terribly so. And having no roof means, once again, no track time. I can't stress how much this sucks! :mad: And finally (although I'm sure I'm failing to mention others) dealing with guys here on Prime. Nobody out there can use their computers as a shield like these guys do. They are Professional Opinionists with licenses to bitch, degrade and dequalify. If you ever want to be shot down, just introduce an original thought to these guys. They may be right, but they are also buzz kills. :wink:

Ahhhhh....that feels better. :tongue:

Just for the record, my car now is in the process of having a hard top conversion made. I still want the convertible, but the rag top is admittidly horrid in appearance. It keeps me up at night it's so bad! I am hoping to create something that even the purists can appreciate, but more importantly I like. Keeping the lines of the car is paramount, as well as the hard top being self contained within the car. Talk about a challenge. Talk about expensive. Talk about trying to take top honors at H.I.N. bEE-ach!

Is it getting hot in here? Oh crap, I'm on fire! The flames, the flames!!! :biggrin:

P.S. - the Salmon car really does look like crap. Just some flames of my own.

Last edited:
[size=+2]Juice[/size]
rl.gif

LOL :D

You know, at second look, those convertibles wouldn't look half bad if the rear end was modified a little to take out the integrated spoiler. If the lines in the rear were smoothed out like a regular trunk would look like, who knows?

Neo, you up for a photochop of this? hint, hint... ;)
bledvoraconvert.jpg

Juice said:
my car now is in the process of having a hard top conversion made.
Are you referring to a removable hard top? Or are you converting your car back so that it is no longer a convertible? Inquiring minds want to know!

Juice said:
The flames, the flames!!! :biggrin:
Zee plane, zee plane!

Hey Juice I got nothing but love for your chop top, I think it looks good in black. But those white wheels are killing me! :eek: :biggrin:
Most of the people who don't like it, have never seen it in person.

Ken, I think he is making a hard top that is retractable, like the new sl 55.
At the touch of a button the trunk will open, the top will fold up into 3 pieces and stowe away in less than 5 seconds.

Right Juice?

KingsCourt said:

I am not a big fan of butchering an NSX, But damn! Ice-t's car is freaking sweet....I gurandamntee you I would drive it.... :cool: Brent

It's not the appearance that I'm worried about, to each his own.

Juice, do you have any idea how your car will perform in an accident?

PHOEN$X said:
Juice, do you have any idea how your car will perform in an accident?

Yes. It should do an incredible impersonation of a sardine can! :eek: I really don't know and hope I never find out. Let me put it this way: It's a lot safer than the CBR I want and will never get. Plus the car never gets driven. It's always being worked on. :wink:

Ken, the top will still be removable by hand, but should ultimately all be contained within the vehicle. Therein lies the challenge. A complete lack of space. Also, I hope to have a real glass rear window and absolutely no exposed fabric. Then there is the goal of it being air and water tight. All custom fab from a guy who is accustomed to building winning street rods. We are very close to a solution, but he has another guy who specializes in conversions apparently. Whatever; they are more capable than I am.

Brian, I WISH! The SL500 has some bad ass computers and mechanics moving the junk into that trunk. That thing is amazing to watch. As much money as I have dumped into the NSX this year alone I could have bought one. Oh, and the white wheels are gone. Custom wheels to go with the wide body. Expect black with a polished lip.

After I am done with this project, I am through with custom cars forever. Time and money that could have been spent on stating my own business. :frown: With plenty of track money left over.

SCS2k said:
I'm sorry to say that I have seen that car in person and it is/was located in Phoenix. It is even more hideous in person.

Yep, it was driving around on Ray Road and I-10 a week and a half ago.

Joel said:
[size=+2]Juice[/size]
rl.gif

LOL :D

You know, at second look, those convertibles wouldn't look half bad if the rear end was modified a little to take out the integrated spoiler. If the lines in the rear were smoothed out like a regular trunk would look like, who knows?

Neo, you up for a photochop of this? hint, hint... ;)
bledvoraconvert.jpg
This reminds me of the Nissan 240SX convertible. Without the roofline, the NSX loses all its grace and charm.
Steve

Back