NSX Compression Test

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how much it generially costs to run a compression test on an nsx?

How does a mechanic run the test?

thanks

About 1.5 hours labor, remove coils and spark plugs, block the throttle open.
Attach gauge to a cylinder, crank engine for a couple of seconds, record reading on gauge, repeat for the remaining 5 cylinders. Put plugs and coils back in, unblock the throttle and make out the bill.

I was quoted about 475 I believe from an Acura dealership. It may have been 375 but if my memory serves me correctly (which is usually does) it was close to 500 smackers.

Thanks guys for the quick replies!

I dont have any doubts about the condition and reliability of my 98' nsx't but I am curious to know how our cars prove compression tests to be over the years of driving them.

$475?? Dang!

You can do it yourself with some basic hand tools and a $40 compression tester from Napa and probably under 30mins.

Just get a friend to step on the gas pedal WOT while they crank the engine over 4 times. Repeat for each cylinder.

It'd be a good idea to remove the ECU fuse too, so the fuel pump doesn't prime during the your test.

Here's a tutorial on an Integra.. same basic concept, just 2 extra cylinders and a little more parts to remove to get to the plugs on an NSX:

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/comptest/comptest.php

It shouldn't cost more than half that. I would think 200 bucks is a fair price.

$475?? Dang!

You can do it yourself with some basic hand tools and a $40 compression tester from Napa and probably under 30mins.

Just get a friend to step on the gas pedal WOT while they crank the engine over 4 times. Repeat for each cylinder.

It'd be a good idea to remove the ECU fuse too, so the fuel pump doesn't prime during the your test.

Here's a tutorial on an Integra.. same basic concept, just 2 extra cylinders and a little more parts to remove to get to the plugs on an NSX:

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/comptest/comptest.php
totally agree. I'm no mechanic by any means but was able to do it on the NSX without any problems. I even did it on my Integra just to see how it was looking after 150k miles.

I would only use dealer approved tool, Open throttle compression test as numbers may vary and a leak down. Numbers should be above 190-200 all across and slight variation due to elevation.

It's not that big of a job. I do recommend those do it yourselfers to to remove the coils and blow the dirt out of the hole before removing the plug. This keeps it from falling into the cylinder when plug is removed. Just a precaution.

It's not that big of a job. I do recommend those do it yourselfers to to remove the coils and blow the dirt out of the hole before removing the plug. This keeps it from falling into the cylinder when plug is removed. Just a precaution.

Ya, good idea.. especially if you've never done it before.

As a side note.. DIY it :P its very gratifying :biggrin:

The dealer completely rips you off. Not sure why this still surprises people. They wanted over 200$ just to do it on my integra GSR which has two less cylinders than the NSX. This literally takes no more skill than changing the spark plugs. You just screw the compression tester in to the spark plug hole, get someone to go WOT, and see what the gauge ends up reading. Repeat. It's usually recommended to cut the fuel somehow as well although it's not mandatory, such as pulling the fuse to the fuel pump.

When I do it for friends I usually charge $5 a cylinder.

Back