NSX car supplies

OK, I pick up my car on Monday the 3rd---getting a little antsy. What would you recommend as a in-car backup kit in case of problems---that one might encounter with a 92--114K mile NSX?
My thoughts are: Multi purpose tool, Can of quick flat repair, rag, reflector, goves, tape, _______.
Are things like relay, belt, hose, oil---stuff that one might need in an NSX? Most spare parts are too big to too complicated for a on the road replacement but ----is there something I should consider?

Counting down the days----7 left Huck:rolleyes:

Hmmm...you've got some time left. As an alternative or to augment the listed above, IMHO, a Gold Membership in AAA would do you much better. By all means, pick up an emergency duffle at Walmart, etc, but for anything more major than what can be fixed in that bag, you'll want a qualified mechanic to take a look.

And if you haven't already, get a PPI performed at an Acura dealer or a qualified mechanic to get potential fix-it areas fixed before they become issues on your trip.

Good luck and congrats!

AAA + membership. Non of those other things are needed. Get in it and drive the wheels off..............whithin legal limits, of course. If you have some time pull up youtube videos of Ayrton Senna. Watch and marvell at his style behind the wheel of the NSX.

yeah +1 on what KOOKOO said.

But I say drive it like you stole it. and worry about repairs IF you need them later. LOL

no seriouslyget the duffle bag they sell at any auto store Hell they even sell them at target/walmart.

the kits comes with everything you need.
fix-a-flat, tow cable, jumper cable, flashlight, tire pressure gauge, air pump, flares, road signs, reflectors, etc. etc.

I got mine and added a few things i might need for about 50 buck from Pep Boys, and its always in my trunk. I dont have the spare tire but since my tires are practiclly run-flat tires Im not worried about it

get out they and drive the beast.

Great idea on the duffel bag full of stuff! Thanks guys---now where do I get a Main Relay---part #, cost$? I'm still looking for a shop manual as downloading onto my computer is a PITA. Huck

If I were super-paranoid, significantly mechanically competent, and not flying there to pick it up here's my list (AAA membership is an obvious one, just make sure you sign up more than 7 days ahead, that's their waiting period):

#1: Laptop or smartphone with service manual downloaded onto it (I say downloaded in case you don't have service where something goes wrong).

Link to service manual: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991servman.pdf

#2: Basic tool kit including at a minimum, A FLASH LIGHT, 10,12,14, 17, & 19mm sockets, Wrenches in the same sizes, both types of screw driver, needle-nose pliers, a breaker bar and a torque wrench...and a jack and at least one jackstand if you have a small-ish jack...lets be honest, if you need more than this to fix whatever it is, it's gonna be on a flatbed anyway.

#3: Fix-a-flat or equivalent AND an electric air pump that you know works.

#4: A packet of spare fuses. Cheap at any parts store.

#5: Short length of small gauge wire, and a couple of wire nuts (wire also useful for pulling any CEL codes).

#6: A wheel chok or ~6" section of 2x4.

NOTE: This is MASSIVE OVERKILL :biggrin: It's a Honda, I'm sure you won't have any trouble at all, although I understand the concern.

I flew to New York with basically a toothbrush, change of drawers, and a big cheque, and drove mine back 17 hours to Tennessee....it had 212,000 miles on it, and 4 CEL codes...I still had no problems...probably not something I'd do again, but I'm just sayin' :wink:

Last edited:
The main relay tends to go bad in most of these cars due to a poor solder connection which leads to starting issues. I did'nt wait, it was the 1st thing I replaced at $60 bucks. It's behind the pass. seat.

When I drove mine home from Virginia I didn't pack anything but a cell phone and my CAA card. It is a 1991 with just under 100k miles. I couldn't really bring much because I was coming from a work trip and I had only one small suitcase. I guess I could have stopped and picked up a few supplies, but I was to hyped up to get driving. It was over 1800 miles in 2 days. Not a single problem.

In my tool kit I carry these items:

1. Main relay
2. ignition switch
3. couple of the little plastic dohickeys that go in the clutch and brake pedals that replace the rubber pieces that fall apart and cause problems.

Less than $100 for those items.

Back