NSX as daily driver?

Hello Guys,
I am new to this forum (not a nsx owner) and fairly new in USA a well. I swam across the atlantic ocean (and some other oceans) all the way from india. Well 1st, life in USA is good! Cool country! After coming here, I saw this japanese "Option" video on youtube..some "drift king" driving a S2k on "touge" and I was so impressed that I went a bought a S2k. I have put 47000 miles on it in 2 yrs. Then i saw this dude called "Ayrton Senna" on youtube tuning this red car called NSX on suzuka..so now I wanna buy a NSX! This senna dude was supposed to be best F1 driver per youtube users, and if hes driving nsx..i gotta drive one too!
So finally my question after all the crap I wrote above...Anybody driving a nsx putting 20000+ miles per year....anything i should be aware of as a far as maintanace cost goes? Seems to me it is very reliable but just dont wanna spend 5k$ everyyear just on keeping the car running! I know this might be a stupid question but just want your advice! Thanks guys. ALso..i am looking at some 91-94 nsx with about 60-75k miles.

I've put about 15,000 miles per year on my NSX for the last 4 years. I won't say nothing has broken, and I won't say it was cheap to fix, but it was well worth it.

I put about 25,000 miles a year on mine. It may cost a little more than your average Accord to have serviced... but mainly because you're paying for the expertise, not because it's more problem prone.

-Brian

Yes. As many owners have shown, this supercar can be driven daily.
It's reliability record is outstanding, provided you keep up with maintenance which might be more expensive than your standard grocery getter but certainly not at more frequent service intervals.

Greetings

I drive mine every day. It is black -- the most expensive cost is having it washed each week (this occurs when I am too lazy to wash it).

It depends upon how aggressive you drive it. Rear tires can wear out in 10K miles per what people tell me on this forum. I run Goodyear F1's and get more. The rest is normal stuff -- oil changes and the like. The 30K service on my NSX was $50 more than the 30K service on my wife's IS300.

The advantage is that no matter what kind of day you have at work, you get NSX therapy on the drive home.

Washing your car weekly -- $25
Annual Service -- $1500
Daily Driving an NSX -- Priceless

Cheers,
Martin

thanks guys for the replies...seems to me that the car is very reliable for you guys even after putting a lot of miles..and maintainance cost isnt that much either..besides its a honda. I guess i will start looking for one and prolly bug you guys again once i find the one i like to ask for more details :)...so the search begins! The reason I asked the questions was coz one of my friend has a M3 and he said usually top end cars of any make require a lot of expensive maintainance....maybe he said that coz he is driving a german.

I put about 25,000 miles a year on mine. It may cost a little more than your average Accord to have serviced... but mainly because you're paying for the expertise, not because it's more problem prone.

-Brian

Brian,
You put more on your NSX than my Accord on an average year. Your commute distance is more than 3X mine.:wink: Are you up to 200,000 miles on your clock?:biggrin:
Alan

The reason I asked the questions was coz one of my friend has a M3 and he said usually top end cars of any make require a lot of expensive maintainance....maybe he said that coz he is driving a german.

Your friend is half right. Top end cars with no reliability require lots of maintenance and expensive repairs.:biggrin: I spent the most money on tires since I bought my NSX, not on maintenance or repairs.:biggrin:

4.5K miles since November ... i am dying now b/c i haven't driven my nsx in 5 days due the TORRENTIAL rains in FL .. and basically in the last 3 weeks I have driven barely (only one weekend we drove 200 miles on a trip :( .. ) ... by no means the NSX is like a civic or accord, it requires care, love, attention .... and a close eye ALL the time in it's components .... you don't want to break an NSX .. :D .... now my Accord, I drive everyday and is less sensitive to train tracks ... rains .. debris, bugs, dirt, portholes, a***holes ... etc etc

Oscar

Another Daily Driver topic? Really? Really???

PLEASE spend some time and do a quick search. You could TRIP across 3-5 very recent threads on this same topic.

Oh, and Welcome :biggrin:

Brian,
You put more on your NSX than my Accord on an average year. Your commute distance is more than 3X mine.:wink: Are you up to 200,000 miles on your clock?:biggrin:
Alan
Not yet... I'm just over 123,XXX at the moment.:smile:

Your friend is half right. Top end cars with no reliability require lots of maintenance and expensive repairs.:biggrin: I spent the most money on tires since I bought my NSX, not on maintenance or repairs.:biggrin:
I've heard the the average Ferrari service runs about $3,000... though I can't validate the accuracy of that statement.

As others have indicated, tires can be a b!tch on the NSX. Running the OEM tires I was replacing the rears about every 7500 miles, and the fronts a bit less frequently (at $200+ a pop). I'm much happier now that I've switched to the Direzza DZ1's (half the price, 2-3 times the life).

Another Daily Driver topic? Really? Really???

PLEASE spend some time and do a quick search. You could TRIP across 3-5 very recent threads on this same topic.
While that is completely true, keep in mind that us daily driver types never get tired of talking about how we drive daily. :D

-Brian
Well said buddy! +1.

I personally can't drive my NSX daily. I sit in stop and go traffic 5 days a week and I don't like to put that much wear and tear without the tradeoff of driving enjoyment. It's always 2nd>3rd>stop>1st>2nd>3rd>stop. My poor clutch, clutch MC, shifter bushings, axle, CV joints, and gears! I'd rather dump the clutch knowing I have a clear path ahead. At least if it breaks it was well worth it! Nothing like seeing a super car struggle through traffic. It's like a caged tiger! I feel so bad for it :) Be good to animals.

With that said, driving in the rain SUX. Not only are there the typical issues of hydroplaning but you sit low that you pretty much disappear in fwy mist.

I've driven 350 miles /week for the past 9 years without any unusual problems. Expect to do the typical maintenance stuff (TB/WP, cooling system, brakes, etc), and do them in a timely manner. Don't put them off!

When asked about this topic I often state that NSX maintenance is no worse than maintaining a typical Honda economy car. It really is relatively cheap when compared to other vehicles (but I do my own mechanical and body servicing).

Back