NSX and Jon Ikeda on CBS

Seeing this video reminded me that I would very much like to ask Mr. Ikeda to bring back the beloved Gen III TL (04-08) to replace the TLX which IMHO has been a major disappointment. So disappointing in fact that it resulted in my defection to the German car camp (which is a place I have done my best over many years to avoid). I hope to return to Acura sedan land one day but first Acura is going to have to produce something as good as the old TL. Jon Ikeda was the lead designer for the Gen III and I would like to think that he is aware of the fact that the TLX is nowhere the car that the Gen III TL was. Thankfully I have my /94 NSX and I had the presence of mind to keep my 04 TL as a spare car -- owned it since new and with 171,000 miles on the clock the only mechanical failure has been one a/c compressor (OEM replacement sourced from Denso delivered to my door for $225). The old TL still runs like a champ and I'd drive it cross country without hesitation. I think I will write Mr. Ikeda a letter this weekend.......

Best,
Jeff

Seeing this video reminded me that I would very much like to ask Mr. Ikeda to bring back the beloved Gen III TL (04-08) to replace the TLX which IMHO has been a major disappointment. So disappointing in fact that it resulted in my defection to the German car camp (which is a place I have done my best over many years to avoid). I hope to return to Acura sedan land one day but first Acura is going to have to produce something as good as the old TL. Jon Ikeda was the lead designer for the Gen III and I would like to think that he is aware of the fact that the TLX is nowhere the car that the Gen III TL was. Thankfully I have my /94 NSX and I had the presence of mind to keep my 04 TL as a spare car -- owned it since new and with 171,000 miles on the clock the only mechanical failure has been one a/c compressor (OEM replacement sourced from Denso delivered to my door for $225). The old TL still runs like a champ and I'd drive it cross country without hesitation. I think I will write Mr. Ikeda a letter this weekend.......

Best,
Jeff

Redesigned TLX releases Q1 of 2020. It's encouraging to see them testing the Type-S engine against the likes of the German C43 AMG and S4. https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/21/acura-tlx-type-s-spy-photos/#slide-7472109

From what I know that car is just a shell to test the engine in. I'm expecting the numbers to be high 300's on that car especially considering they are bench-marking against the Mercedes which produces 362hp and 384 lb-ft of torque but the 2019 refresh is bumping HP up to 385. The Audi makes 349hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. Acura cares more about the torque number and when that comes on then the HP number for this one but I've got high expectations.

Get a good engine paired up to the new differential for SH-AWD in the RDX that can handle more torque and can send 70% of the power to the rear wheels. All sounds like the recipe for a great sports sedan to me.

I'm all good with a power bump but a big part of what I (and numerous others) dislike about the TLX is the ZF 9 speed which is simply awful and I object in a major way to the fact that Acura saw fit to split the difference in size between the TSX and the TL, yielding the TLX which seriously compromised rear seat room and utility as compared with the Gen III TL.

I'm a bit unclear about what we are expecting in 2020 Q1 -- is it a full redesign of the TLX or just the TLX Type-S? Hopefully full redesign in which case I will be hoping for the best.

I won't be sad to bid adieu to my 2015 Audi A6 which I'm a little nervous about owing post warranty expiration. I've had more issues in 3.5 years/30K miles than with my 04 TL in 15 years/171K miles, not the least of which was replacement of poorly designed upper timing chain tensioners with upgraded tensioners. Fortunately everything was handled under warranty and car is under warranty for another 6 months. Not that I expect any German car to be as reliable as Honda/Toyota but my experience with the A6 has not inspired sufficient confidence to entertain holding onto it very long post warranty expiration. It will be gone within the next two years. I will be very happy to return to the Acura family assuming they build something that speaks to me the way the old TL did (and still does). Fingers crossed.

Thanks for weighing in, appreciate your input.

Best,
Jeff

I'm all good with a power bump but a big part of what I (and numerous others) dislike about the TLX is the ZF 9 speed which is simply awful and I object in a major way to the fact that Acura saw fit to split the difference in size between the TSX and the TL, yielding the TLX which seriously compromised rear seat room and utility as compared with the Gen III TL.

I'm a bit unclear about what we are expecting in 2020 Q1 -- is it a full redesign of the TLX or just the TLX Type-S? Hopefully full redesign in which case I will be hoping for the best.

I won't be sad to bid adieu to my 2015 Audi A6 which I'm a little nervous about owing post warranty expiration. I've had more issues in 3.5 years/30K miles than with my 04 TL in 15 years/171K miles, not the least of which was replacement of poorly designed upper timing chain tensioners with upgraded tensioners. Fortunately everything was handled under warranty and car is under warranty for another 6 months. Not that I expect any German car to be as reliable as Honda/Toyota but my experience with the A6 has not inspired sufficient confidence to entertain holding onto it very long post warranty expiration. It will be gone within the next two years. I will be very happy to return to the Acura family assuming they build something that speaks to me the way the old TL did (and still does). Fingers crossed.

Thanks for weighing in, appreciate your input.

Best,
Jeff

Q1 of 2020 is a full redesign of the TLX. Following this Q2 of 2020 will be the release of the fully redesigned MDX. From the ground up both will be an entirely new car. If Acura stays in line with what they did in the RDX, the TLX will be an Acura exclusive platform, not built on the Accord platform.

This is speculation but I would expect to see 2.0T with 10 speed automatic become the standard option for the car. Now that they have this engine combination available in SH-AWD it eliminates the need for the 2.4 FWD and 3.5 FWD and SH-AWD options. It would be simplified to 4-trim levels that are available in FWD or SH-AWD. The 5th trim option will be the Type-S model which will feature the turbocharged V6 and will only be available in SH-AWD.

My wallet is much lighter since owning my Audi TT out of warranty..:crushed:

Q1 of 2020 is a full redesign of the TLX. Following this Q2 of 2020 will be the release of the fully redesigned MDX. From the ground up both will be an entirely new car. If Acura stays in line with what they did in the RDX, the TLX will be an Acura exclusive platform, not built on the Accord platform.

This is speculation but I would expect to see 2.0T with 10 speed automatic become the standard option for the car. Now that they have this engine combination available in SH-AWD it eliminates the need for the 2.4 FWD and 3.5 FWD and SH-AWD options. It would be simplified to 4-trim levels that are available in FWD or SH-AWD. The 5th trim option will be the Type-S model which will feature the turbocharged V6 and will only be available in SH-AWD.

My wallet is much lighter since owning my Audi TT out of warranty..:crushed:

Fingers crossed for a car as good as the Gen III TL. Timing will work well for me -- assuming the redesigned TLX speaks to me the way the Gen III TL did when it first appeared the timing will be just right for me. I'll wait out the new TLX first year of production and say goodbye to A6 spring/summer 2021 and hello TLX.

As for your TT sorry to hear that. Some people have great luck with VAG products but I tend to believe that Consumer Reports assessments are pretty accurate. My A6 while not awful in the reliability department is certainly not as good as Honda/Toyota of days gone by. When the right vehicle appears I will be very happy to come back to Mother Honda.

I'm still writing that letter to Mr. Ikeda this weekend. Will be interesting to see if he responds.

Best,
Jeff

Jeff, while you have Mr. Ikeda's attention, ask him to encourage the powers that be to continue building vital parts for their aging cars like the S2000 and NSX! Honda must realize that many of the owners of these cars and others from their past, are the true believers of the brand. That kind of brand loyalty is hard to come by these days.

I like my TLX A-Spec other than the ZF9, which should be killed with fire. It’s the second worst transmission I’ve ever experienced. Worst belongs to the Chrysler products of the late 1990s, two of which I owned before I learned my lesson and came back to Honda ownership after a few years away. In any case, I’m surprised to find that transmission in the Honda Passport.

In any case, I am hoping the TLX-S is a last hurrah for the current body style, which I like especially with the A-Spec tweaks. If not, hopefully the new styling will be good enough and the performance entertaining enough to keep me interested as my lease is over in mid-2020. If not, I’m actively looking at the Genesis G70, which while smaller than a TLX, seems to offer the entertainment factor I am seeking in a sporty daily driver. Can’t believe I’m looking at a Hyundai...

Back on topic, nice to see Mr. Ikeda speak and he seems to be doing a great job so far! Having visited the PMC, I’m also glad to see it get some news time, it’s an amazing place and the people I’ve met who work there are proud of what they do.

Back