NSX and CA Smog check

What mods can legally be done to an NSX and still have it pass a CA Smog Test?

I was told by a Smog Tech that everything has to be 100% OEM with Zero after market parts on anything except after the Cat (ie muffler)

thoughts?

I just had my '91 NSX California smogged yesterday and it passed even with an Injen Intake and K&N Filter installed. On my previous NSX I went to the bother of removing the Cold Air Intake ducting, Carbon Fiber tubing and K&N Filter, and temporarily installed the stock airbox, only to have the tech tell me that it would have passed with all that stuff on it. :cool:

depends on how cool the tech is.
:biggrin:

i seen ones that will fail you for having intake.. others dont really car what you have on your car as long is it passes emissions. :wink:

Exhaust systems dont matter. They have nothing to do with smog. Headers and intakes have to have a carb #. I have passed my Supra with a fmic and exhaust at a test only station. You also have to have all your smog equipment on the car (cats, sensors).

Exhaust systems dont matter. They have nothing to do with smog. Headers and intakes have to have a carb #. I have passed my Supra with a fmic and exhaust at a test only station. You also have to have all your smog equipment on the car (cats, sensors).

lol me too

my supra had fmic, bov, safc, down pipe, exhaust, intake.:tongue:

The rule of thumb in California is that any mod "from the airbox to the cats, inclusive" will fail the visual inspection unless you have a CARB EO sticker for each and every mod. Technically, the testing technician is supposed to look up the CARB number and verify that it's not only for that part, but for that vehicle year/make/model.

That said, there are many, many mods you can perform that, if the testing technician misses, overlooks or is ignorant about will pass the emissions portion of the certification.

J

The rule of thumb in California is that any mod "from the airbox to the cats, inclusive" will fail the visual inspection unless you have a CARB EO sticker for each and every mod. Technically, the testing technician is supposed to look up the CARB number and verify that it's not only for that part, but for that vehicle year/make/model.

That said, there are many, many mods you can perform that, if the testing technician misses, overlooks or is ignorant about will pass the emissions portion of the certification.

J

This is accurate information.

Most popular mods including intakes, headers and exhausts, forced induction and chips/ECU will pass the actual emissions requirement but the smog technician is supposed to visually inspect the vehicle for any aftermarket parts and confirm that any and all aftermarket engine mods are CA CARB legal.

Few actually do that so it's toally up to the owner whether or not they want to try and skirt the CARB legal problem. Chances are if you visit 3 smog shops one of them is going to let you slide.

I've found that there seems to be a prejudice against many of the Civics and other more common, frequently riced-out cars that look modded to the hilt but the NSX usually throws the smog techs off and they don't associate the NSX with those types of mods. They see so few of them that most probably don't know where to look.

Back