North Jersey NSX

Back in 2000 I drove a NSX for a day and loved the experience. I had a 400+rwhp Supra at the time but the NSX felt more “fun”. At the time I was more interested in HP so the Surpa was the right choice for me. I eventually got the Supra up to 648rwhp in 2001 which actually was quite fun, but ended up selling it. I have had a few sports cars since but for some reason the NSX still sticks in my mind.

Would anyone in the North Jersey area be willing to give me a short ride around the block? I am itching to buy one but not sure if the memory I have would be the same today. I really want to check out a NSX up-close as it is been 8 year and do not want to make a mistake buying one.

My goal is to have a great Sunday driver that is exotic but does not have maintenance issues. The NSX really fits that bill, IMHO.

Anyone in the North Jersey area have there cars out and about? The rain has done a great job of clearing the roads. If anyone is willing to meet up please let me know as I want to pull the trigger but am not sure. Thanks,

welcome!! where are ya dude??
nice to see the salt go byebye.
i've been driven' all winter:biggrin:

I'm in western most Morris County which looks to be quite close to you. If you have time in the near future to show off your car it would be appreciated. :smile:

hope you enjoyed the drive, aaron.
you are a classic lurker and know your nsx
facts & figs...great to have met!!

the nsx is a fine automobile, hope you find
your diamond. the northeast is waking up
from our slumber...keep in touch, and post
on prime..it's an wonderful addiction.:biggrin:

So I post on Prime at noon and am driving Jonathan's NSX by 6:00. For the record that was not the plan and I did not ask to drive his car, he just offered me the keys to my surprise. Who was I to say no?

There are some great roads in Hackettstown and Jonathan was egging me on to push it. I am not one to beat on a car and much less someone else's car. I think I drove it to about 1/10th of its potential if that. Even so it was a great drive and I learned a few things.

Here are my driving impressions for what they are worth.

1. The first thing I noticed about the car was high clutch engagement. I am use to a clutch that engages low or at least in the middle of the throw. The two 91's I have driven both engage in the top2 inches which takes some getting use too.
2. The view from the cockpit is one of the best parts of driving the NSX. You can barely see the hood so the road just unfolds in front of you. This is the exact opposite of the Viper, where you have a monstrous hood and that is all you see when driving. Not that that is a bad thing but just different.
3. The intake behind your head is great and just can't be duplicated in a front engine rear drive.
4. The seating position of the NSX is so low it makes you feel connected to the road. I thought it would scrape on everything but the car itself is not as low as it feels.
5. The manual steering is a riot at low speeds. I am not use to it at all and it adds to the overall purest feel. When I was parking the car I had the wheels turned when I came to a stop and thought I could straighten them out once stopped. Not so much.

Thanks again to jalnjr, you have a great attitude and are very generous with your time and car. It is people like you that make this community so great. I look forward to meeting more members at some upcoming events.

Way to go Dr. Bling! BTW, The ride was probably less scary when you were driving. :eek:

Yes, the early year's of the NSX have a very high clutch release point. Hope we see you at our next run.

Speaking of very high clutch release point for the early years. I have a 94 and I drove Rich001's 2005 last night. The power steering made it a lot easier to do U turns, and the lower clutch release point made it easier drive IMHO.

Speaking of very high clutch release point for the early years. I have a 94 and I drove Rich001's 2005 last night. The power steering made it a lot easier to do U turns, and the lower clutch release point made it easier drive IMHO.

With the clutch skills Rich has, the release point will be high in no time :wink:

Those are great impressions from such limited time with the car, I also come from 2JZ's...I think you'll enjoy the change. The only downside is the fourty grand it takes to make Supra power levels :rolleyes: . Post up some pics of the MKIV.

Jon

Here's a picture of Aaron's Viper from last summer's Supra meet.

IMG_7747.JPG

-Brian.

thedon67, I could tell that Jonathan was someone that enjoys pushing his car and I am sure the ride would have been more exciting with him driving versus me. I may have gotten within 500rpm's of redline once, if that.

Jon, I attached a few old school pictures from 2000. The pictures are of my former MKIV before I put Volk AV3's on it. As for trying to match the Supra's power, I am not too concerned about it, as the NSX is a canyon carver and not a highway pull car. It has more than enough power to get me in trouble on a twisty road. If I am fortunate enough to get one I think I would only do an exhaust and intake.

Brian, How's it going? How's the NSX treating you? I need to check out that bad boy. For some reason I have not been able to get the NSX out of my mind as it really has some intangibles. Also, as I get older the power is no longer the number 1 criteria. Which car do you enjoy more?

Attachments

• Supra1.jpg
    Supra1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Supra2.jpg
    Supra2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 44
Brian, How's it going? How's the NSX treating you? I need to check out that bad boy. For some reason I have not been able to get the NSX out of my mind as it really has some intangibles. Also, as I get older the power is no longer the number 1 criteria. Which car do you enjoy more?

It's hard to say. I think the overall balance of the NSX makes it more fun to drive in most situations.

Back