Nokia N900

Osiris_x11

Gold Member, Moderator: Marketplace

Anyone have any thoughts about the relatively newly released (and deliveries forthcoming) Nokia N900?

It's GSM/WCDMA, but I still can't make sense of which service provider it'd ideally work w/ (of-course w/o compromise of any hallmark features). I'm w/ AT&T & I'd actually like to stick w/ them. Wikipedia says it's fine for AT&T GSM but not their 3G... :confused:

Nokia N900
Band: WCDMA (UMTS) / GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Wikipedia said:
N900...

GSM/GPRS/EDGE

The Nokia N900 will operate with nearly all GSM network providers in the United States And other countries on GSM, GPRS 2.5G, and EDGE 2.75G networks which use the GSM-850 and GSM-1900 frequency bands. These include T-Mobile USA, AT&T Mobility, all of their MVNOs, and most small and/or regional non-MVNO providers.

WCDMA/HSPA

Of the two major GSM carriers, the device will only operate on the T-Mobile USA WCDMA and HSPA 3G networks which use the 1700 and 2100 MHz UMTS frequency bands. It will not function on the AT&T Mobility UMTS 3G networks which use the incompatible 850 and 1900 MHz UMTS frequency bands.

From the product website

Data network

GPRS class A, multislot class 32, maximum speed 107/64.2 kbps (DL/UL) EDGE class A, multislot class 32, maximum speed 296/177.6 kbps (DL/UL) WCDMA 900/1700/2100. Maximum speed PS 384/384 kbps (DL/UL) HSPA 900/1700/2100. Maximum speed PS 10/2 Mbps (DL/UL) WLAN IEEE 802.11b/g

Anywayz...

Dell.com has random deals on brand-new unlocked N900 here-&-there (their Twitter feed updates the masses), and there is the occasional Bing.com cashback which varies from 10% - 25%, bringing the N900 to ~$400'ish or even less (though rare). . .

Reference:

www.maemo.nokia.com/n900

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N900

www.nokia-n900.com

www.nokian900.com

Last edited:
This phone is perfect for T-Mobile customers. N900 is a little more advanced than the famous n97. The n900 is the first non T-Mobile branded phone that supports their 3G network which operates on 1700 MHz frequency. Second big plus is the fact that for the first time in the history A US PRODUCTION PHONE IS GOING TO BE CAPABLE OF VIDEO CALLING - NO, IPHONE CANNOT DO IT. We had phones like this for a while now from the "unlocked" division of Nokia but they were always supporting AT&Ts 3G only. Its biggest advantage is the skype app which is active at all times, it means that you could be browsing internet or calling another person the regular way and when someone calls you on skype you can just answer it like a normal phone call when using wifi and most importantly not paying for it (even if it is an international call - skype does not care where you are). Three months ago T-Mobile was going to lunch it for sure but for an unknown reason they recently stepped away from it...

Last edited:
I will get this phone if it works on 3G network of AT&T. I think its a great phone, full flash support web browser, fast processor, and multi-tasking are just some of the features that I really like.

I just got an HTC Touch Pro 2 or AT&T Tilt 2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 just over a month ago and this phone is awesome as well. I just wish it was faster processing wise. 3G is kind of slow too, but I guess that's just something I have to endure because of all the iphone users that at&t has. If I changed from HTC Touch Pro 2 to Nokia N900, I'd probably miss the HTC's keyboard.. a looooot.

niM

Last edited:
Brylek, thanks for the insights. Very appreciative! :cool:

I will get this phone if it works on 3G network of AT&T.
As of now, that won't be possible. Also, Brylek reaffirmed that.

Seems like T-Mobile is the way to go, if going w/ the handset. . .

nimdivino said:
If I changed from HTC Touch Pro 2 to Nokia N900, I'd probably miss the HTC's keyboard.. a looooot.
The N900 has a QWERTY keyboard. Also, is the HTC keyboard all that much better than the N900's?

Reference:

The N900 gives the option of using individual-button flip'out QWERTY keyboard or toggling to the touch-screen QWERTY keypad (ala' iPhone). Best of both worlds. . .

Pretty awesome looking phone. I haven't used one yet but from all the reviews I've read it seems that the consensus is that this phone has all the tools to be great but the software isn't quite 100% there yet, similar to iPhone 1.0 and Android 1.0. It runs a Linux based OS and has a Firefox based web browser which seems to give it the best desktop like browsing experience out there. True multitasking is provided by the OS as well. I'm going to follow the phone closely, a few software updates from now this phone could almost be a laptop replacement.

As Brylek pointed out, 3G only works on T-Mobile. EDGE will work on AT&T, that's it. Since it's an unlocked device one could pick this up for ~$400 like Osiris_x11 pointed out, then sign up for T-Mobile's no contract service called Even More Plus. $29.99 for 500 minutes, nights + weekends and T-Mobile to T-Mobile, $10 for the smartphone add on. Total of $39.99 for unlimited 3G data where there's coverage and voice, no contract. Not a bad deal at all, $500 cheaper than a comparable iPhone plan would be over 24 months.

I was also interested in the phone. But I think I saw somewhere that it has no mms support which is a little surprising for a phone that is advanced as this. Also, I was under the impression that this phone will not have video calling capabilities on the 3G but it can possibly do video calling via wifi. Not sure how accurate this information is since I have not gotten my hands on the phone as of yet.

The issue with mms settings is going to be resolved very soon with the first software update there will be. I was also able to get some feedback from 3 different users:

Good:

-very good screen resolution
-great/easy to use software
-fast internet on 3g
-very fast processor and lots of ram - you could run several different apps at the same time and nothing will freeze.
-built in fm transmitter
-there is not a website this phone can not open

Bad:

-poor battery life
-charging port is on top of the phone, when you are talking while the phone is charging it might not be too comfortable
-the phone has a sensor that blocks the touch screen while talking on it and when you are trying to disconnect from a phone call it might take a few seconds for the touch screen to become active again
-it is not as small as shown on pictures
-current software does not allow custom ringtones set for different phonebook entries

I will keep you guys updated :)

... 3G only works on T-Mobile... then sign up for T-Mobile's no contract service called Even More Plus. $29.99 for 500 minutes, nights + weekends and T-Mobile to T-Mobile, $10 for the smartphone add on. Total of $39.99 for unlimited 3G data where there's coverage and voice, no contract. Not a bad deal at all...
That resonates well w/ me, as I have a multi-line family plan w/ AT&T and adding a data-plan & text-package to it w/ a smart-phone just bloats it ridiculously.

Also, I was under the impression that this phone will not have video calling capabilities on the 3G but it can possibly do video calling via wifi. Not sure how accurate this information is since I have not gotten my hands on the phone as of yet.
I came across something in a blog or review site that stated video calling was possible, and I assumed it was via 3G. I need to go back & check where I came across that!

I will keep you guys updated :)
Very appreciative of your input & ongoing comments/updates... :cool:

I'm at a crossroads:

- goto an iPhone 3GS on AT&T (I was a very short-term user of iPhone 3G on AT&T, and it was over-kill for me at the time but my needs/requirements have changed since).

- omit the Droid, as I don't want to go on Verizon. If I'm gonna switch networks, I prefer a GSM one.

- make a move on an N900 & get on non-contract T-Mobile.

Last edited:
That resonates well w/ me, as I have a multi-line family plan w/ AT&T and adding a data-plan & text-package to it w/ a smart-phone just bloats it ridiculously.

I'm at a crossroads:

- goto an iPhone 3GS on AT&T (I was a very short-term user of iPhone 3G on AT&T, and it was over-kill for me at the time but my needs/requirements have changed since).

- omit the Droid, as I don't want to go on Verizon. If I'm gonna switch networks, I prefer a GSM one.

- make a move on an N900 & get on non-contract T-Mobile.

If you want to get reeealy creative and frugal, you could do the following (as I plan on doing:biggrin:):

With the no contract options you can pay with either a credit card, a bank account or a FlexAccount. FlexAccount allows you to buy prepaid cards and add the value to an online account, which you can then pay your bill with.

Here's where the savings comes in. Bing.com cashback is offering 8% on ebay purchases. Well, $100 T-mobile prepaid cards sell on ebay for about a 15% discount off face value anyways, so you're looking at about a 22% discount in total if purchased this way.

In essence, you're getting $1 of T-mo credit for $0.78. In my example before the $39.99 plan would cost $31.20 for 500 mins + unlimited data. Screw text messaging packages since the N900 can use apps to do that over data :tongue: (AIM, Gtalk). And this could certainly be applied to a family plan or any other plan as well.

another player in the game...

If you want to get reeealy creative and frugal, you could do the following (as I plan on doing:biggrin:):

With the no contract options you can pay with either a credit card, a bank account or a FlexAccount. FlexAccount allows you to buy prepaid cards and add the value to an online account, which you can then pay your bill with.

Here's where the savings comes in. Bing.com cashback is offering 8% on ebay purchases. Well, $100 T-mobile prepaid cards sell on ebay for about a 15% discount off face value anyways, so you're looking at about a 22% discount in total if purchased this way.

In essence, you're getting $1 of T-mo credit for $0.78. In my example before the $39.99 plan would cost $31.20 for 500 mins + unlimited data. Screw text messaging packages since the N900 can use apps to do that over data :tongue: (AIM, Gtalk). And this could certainly be applied to a family plan or any other plan as well.
That sounds quite compelling & alluring for the new Google Nexus One Phone offering:

http://www.google.com/phone

... though, it seems that to acquire the phone, the minimum $79.99/month contract is needed (likely not applicable w/ the $29.99/non-contract + $10 smartphone-service), grrr! :D

Reference:

"The Nexus One Phone with T-Mobile Even More individual 500 Plan. You must be eligible for service and accept a new two year contract to qualify for this pricing. Existing T-Mobile customers may qualify for upgrade pricing.

500 talk minutes. Unlimited nights and weekends. Unlimited T-Mobile to T-Mobile minutes. Unlimited domestic messaging including SMS, MMS, IM. Android Unlimited Web. $79.99 per month.

Includes a Nexus One phone case, wall charger, and USB cable. Free shipping in the continental US."

Last edited:
Back