Noise after start-up

Has anyone ever heard a noise like a shifting gear without the use of the clutch from the engine area.

If my car sits for a day or so, just after starting I hear a noise. No shifting, no attempt to move the car. Just depressing the clutch, starting and releasing the clutch and 5 to 10 seconds later I hear a noise like a badly engaging solenoid?? :confused: :confused:

Are you sure it's not coming from the front end? That's my bet. If it is, it's probably the ABS pump and it's normal.

Read more about it in the FAQ here.

nsxtasy said:
Are you sure it's not coming from the front end? That's my bet. If it is, it's probably the ABS pump and it's normal.

Read more about it in the FAQ here.

not quite sure where it is coming from, sounds like the rear. but it does not sound like a pump, it sound like gears grinding. :frown:

anyway it is going to the dealer for the initial tune. they are going to keep it for a day, maybe they will find something.

Hello, yea, I have had the same problem, like a load grinding noise coming from the engine bay, but I don't know what it is. For me, it's an on and off thing. Hear it every once in a while, but yea, let me know if you find out what it is!!! :biggrin: Did a search but only thing I can find is grinding noise under the front hood?

03 raw nsx said:
Has anyone ever heard a noise like a shifting gear without the use of the clutch from the engine area.

I'm not sure what a "shifting gear" sounds like. Even when you shift gears, you shouldn't hear a grinding noise. Does the noise happen only after shifting a gear, accelerating, decelerating, idle? Does it only happen when the car is cold, warm etc. Hopefully, we can give a better answer after knowing the details.

good luck

I have a 91 and mine does the same thing on start up. It is kind of like a grinding/clicking sound. It only happens intermittently and does not last very long. It is very perplexing.

hlweyl said:
I'm not sure what a "shifting gear" sounds like. Even when you shift gears, you shouldn't hear a grinding noise. Does the noise happen only after shifting a gear, accelerating, decelerating, idle? Does it only happen when the car is cold, warm etc. Hopefully, we can give a better answer after knowing the details.

good luck

let me re-phrase that: shifting without using the clutch. grind grind grind
remember the sound when you learned how to drive a manual?

the noise only happens after start-up for 5 to 10 seconds. and only after the car has been sitting for 1 to 2 days. Then the car is fine all day.

Does it sound like fast high pitch "Pyo pyo pyo pyo pyo pyo pyo pyo"? :confused: if it does sound like this, you dont have to worry about it :smile:

03 raw nsx said:
the noise only happens after start-up for 5 to 10 seconds. and only after the car has been sitting for 1 to 2 days. Then the car is fine all day.
Yes, that is exactly how the noise from the ABS pump works.

j14nsx said:
But doesn't the pump only run when the car starts moving?
No. It runs a few seconds after you start the car, even before you start moving.

j14nsx said:
Could the noise just be the usual piston slap on a cold engine, and oil not up to pressure?
What "usual piston slap" are you referring to? My engine sounds fine when I start the car. Maybe your car needs a tune-up?

I'm with you there Dave, grinding would be a very unusual sound indeed. A thought I had is it might be the antenna hanging up when trying to extend, any possibility there?

nsxtasy said:
What "usual piston slap" are you referring to? My engine sounds fine when I start the car. Maybe your car needs a tune-up?

All Hondas, or at least all I have had (and I'm on my sixth), rattle, slap call it what you want, for about 5 secs after starting from cold.

I've heard it on other NSXs as well.

Swear my ABS pump only comes on when the car has started moving. Just like it says in the service manual on page 19-34.

Maybe your cars brakes need checking? :smile:

Back