No power to stereo/head unit or A/C controls

Currently looking at a prospective nsx to purchase for a fair price. Clean over all with tastefull mods, lots of paperwork and all basic maintenance taken care of. HOWEVER the head unit and the AC display/control do not power on. Any ideas? Simple blown fuse or major servicing required?

Currently looking at a prospective nsx to purchase for a fair price. Clean over all with tastefull mods, lots of paperwork and all basic maintenance taken care of. HOWEVER the head unit and the AC display/control do not power on. Any ideas? Simple blown fuse or major servicing required?

It's likely the CCU needing a rebuild from BrianK and a radio rebuild needed from a company BrianK uses. Search BrianK and you will find his website etc.
it means taking the center console apart and removing the CCU and radio, sending the parts off and reinstalling when returned. BrianK can advise the cost. Lube the shifter while you're in there and if the aspirator fan is noisy send it to BrianK too.
You can also look for radios for sale in the parts for sale forum.
Is this a different NSX than the supercharged/NOS one?

Last edited:
If the radio is shot I'd just install an after market nav unit. If the AC is in need of reprogramming or something costly id prolly continue my search else where. No this isn't the nos equipped 92 in PA. This one is a new find of mine

If the AC is in need of reprogramming or something costly id prolly continue my search else where.

The climate control unit circuit board (CCU) is a common failure and most owners use BrianK who rebuilds them for us all. The cost is modest. It's certainly no reason not to buy a car.
If you are doing homework on NSX ownership you will find numerous items that will need fixing, like the CCU, the Bose speaker amps, window thingies, door pulls etc.
Some cars will already have them done, others will still need it.
As I mentioned before don't expect to buy a 20 year old car and not find anything that needs doing.
The issues to look for are not the CCU rebuild which is minor, but major modifications or lack of maintenance records that may signal a hard life or neglect which could result in major repair bills.
Ignore the spiffy wheels or lowered suspension and look instead for oil changes, timing belt changes, coolant hose changes etc.
You might ask the owner of the car you are looking at why the CCU and radio haven't been fixed. If these aren't done and are obvious, what hasn't been done that is not obvious?

Last edited:
I'm interested in a supercharged car, in fact, I've almost entirely limited my search to supercharged examples. I feel if someone is willing to drop 10k on a performance part, chances are they had the finances to take care of basic maintenance. Same thing goes for "spiffy wheels" etc.
however none of the above has anything to do with why the stereo and AC unit ceased to function simultaneously. My guess is electrical? What do you think?

Like JD Cross said, send the CCU to Brian K and get it repaired, he is the one to make it work right. I had mine done, turn around time is a short and you get a good product. The previous owner of my car replaced the speaker/amps, and the cost was something like $2800, so it would be alot cheaper to get Brian to repair them. I have an aftermarket stereo and oem speakers and this works for me, not that you can't upgrade amps and speakers, but this was my route. Going back to my CCU, it works great, but when I got it back, I also ended up replacing the heater/ac fan which was also pricey. Everything works great now, (touch wood)lol

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

Back