• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No "Old" Interior Love

A few days ago, I had a good laugh.

I was playing 4za, driving a '97 NSX in the interior view with the dash displayed.

My friend commented saying, and I quote,
"This is an older version of your car right? I mean, yours doesn't have that ghetto interior...right?"
POKER FACE :|

I broke out in laughter, especially because I corrected him that mine was actually an older model.
There doesn't seem to be much love for the big airbag, display-less center console, "old" vents, and God-forbid an analog tach & speedo!
Acura-NSX-T_2001_800x600_wallpaper_05.jpg
+1 for a manual transmission

I guess car manufacturers, consumers, and high expectation journalists have raised the bar as what a modern interior should look (and feel) like. That being said, the NSX's interior IS 22 years old :|, and this new one looks damn good.
2015-acura-honda-nsx-concept-ii-212.jpg
I'm still a big fan of the original interior, very "Spartan" (by today's standards).

Has anyone else been called out on their interior? It's all leather, come on!

Lucas

I just think our interiors are poorly represented in these games. My reaction was pretty similar to your friends when I switched to the interior view in GT6.

In real life, I've actually received quite the opposite. Most people are surprised my car is 20 years old. :)

IMO, the "modern" interior is too busy and reflects the fact that more people are and want to be distracted behind the wheel.

Actually, I don't find the interior of the NSX 'old' at all !!

Ok, I will admit it lacks the build-in screens that most modern cars have.
And yes, the lighting of the dash is not very bright and doesn't have the digital displays you see in a new car.
But, basically, the lay-out is still (and always has been) simply top-notch.

You can switch the radio or airco on/off without the need of looking for a small button. Same goes for volume control (even without buttons on the steering wheel). And all the other buttons and levers are exactly placed and easy to reach and the seating position is perfect for fast driving.

And besided, al that so called 'modern' stuff is not much more than just 'current fashion', most of it will have disappeared in a few years again.
Shiny inlays, USB-ports, iPod-connectors and such, these are all just basic and seperate electronics.
Any one can easily retrofit these to our NSX as needed. They are basically just add-ons and have nothing to do with the car itself.

Actually, I don't find the interior of the NSX 'old' at all !!

Ok, I will admit it lacks the build-in screens that most modern cars have.
And yes, the lighting of the dash is not very bright and doesn't have the digital displays you see in a new car.
But, basically, the lay-out is still (and always has been) simply top-notch.

You can switch the radio or airco on/off without the need of looking for a small button. Same goes for volume control (even without buttons on the steering wheel). And all the other buttons and levers are exactly placed and easy to reach and the seating position is perfect for fast driving.

And besided, al that so called 'modern' stuff is not much more than just 'current fashion', most of it will have disappeared in a few years again.
Shiny inlays, USB-ports, iPod-connectors and such, these are all just basic and seperate electronics.
Any one can easily retrofit these to our NSX as needed. They are basically just add-ons and have nothing to do with the car itself.

Agree with you! Only thing I'd prefer is a broader range of seat adjustments and I'd be just as happy as in my more "modern" cars.

The first time I sat (and drove) an NSX was 16 to 17 years ago. The one thing that I could not get out of my mind was the interior. I love this interior. Maybe some of it is nostalgia, but who cares? I love how it slopes up. Everything is tight but not cramped. When I look at the two pictures above, the newer interior just makes me all claustrophobic. And don’t forget, there is a limit to what we can do while driving. Coming from a 2007 TL (with voice commands, navi, etc.), I don’t miss a single bit of new technology. I will admit that some of this love is accepting the car for what it is which includes an age factor.

Most of available features today are not going to be used on a driver’s car anyway. Who on Prime cares if they get lost while in their NSX? “Oh no, I have to drive more”. I guess my point is that this car doesn’t need all that stuff. Yes, the NSX doesn’t have newer features because of its age, but when it comes down to it, I believe a lot of those features are only included so the car looks good on paper.

I absolutely love the angles and design of the "old" NSX interior. You can throw fancy gadgetry all you want at a crappy interior, but at the end of the day, it is a crappy interior with gadgetry on it. Personally, I love minimal, functional, and understated yet graceful designs.

Comparing this gadgetless, "old" interior:
X61bVNp.jpg
dYv4t2s.jpg

With a gadgety "new" interior:
Asb2ntW.jpg
Ep80iMh.jpg

To each his own, but I'd take the "old" one any day of the week :) I will give credit where credit is due though - surprisingly I really like the new C7 interior. I absolutely hated the C5 and C6 interiors, and the C6 steering wheel was the same steering wheel as a chevy cobalt :( :( :( The C7 looks great though, some throwbacks to the C4 style interior but nicer materials, feel, and aesthetic.

Last edited:
The layout is timeless but the steering wheel, shift knob and gathered leather are kinda eyesores IMO.

I REALLY like the S2000 interior, more so than the NSX.

Also, our interior isn't all leather. I believe only the front surfaces of the seats, door inserts and possibly the shift knob is leather, everything else is vinyl.

Last edited:
The layout is timeless but the steering wheel, shift knob and gathered leather are kinda eyesores IMO.

I REALLY like the S2000 interior, more so than the NSX.

Also, our interior isn't all leather. I believe only the front surfaces of the seats, door inserts and possibly the shift knob is leather, everything else is vinyl.

Yes, but for good cause. Apparently the sun can cause problems with discoloration on the dash. Whatever it is, it still feels nice.

Most people have a hard time believing my car is 22 years old and have even had the comments "Honda has always been way ahead of the time with interiors" when someone has been riding shotgun in my car.

I feel right at home behind the wheel of the NSX and dont really want to change a thing in their.

I don't feel it looks too old. Could it be more modern...sure, but things IMO have not changed that much. I never feel,I am back in time when I step in. Of course my daily driver is a modest Mazda 6 (prior to the awesome styling change a year or so ago.

The NSX is the most comfortable car I own. I'd rather go on along trip in it than my Accord or TL, its beautifully simple and functional which makes it timeless. Someone said it above and its true, the more non-essential (to driving) gadgets a car has the more quickly it becomes dated. Its the fundamental ergonomics and material quality that last. The guys at Everydaydriver Review thought so too...

"...the NSX is full of high-end materials and ergonomic touches far above the Z car and better than many modern day exotics. The gathered leather look on the seats and door-panels is the only dated feature. The plastics feel high quality. The leather and soft touch rubber coatings are both durable and pleasing. This car’s nearly twenty years old but the surroundings feel more luxurious than anything Ferrari or Porsche offered through the 2000s. How is that possible?"</SPAN></SPAN>

My idea for a true drivers car is "simpler is better". You can't beat analog gauges, a quick glance and instantly you know if things are operating properly. Your brain doesn't need to spend extra time processing the information (aka digital numerical value). As far as changing stations, adjusting environmentals can be done without visually looking.

I find the so-called modern conveyances are down right annoying, and at times dangerous, because it takes the drivers attention completely off the road while they are trying to figure out a touch screen, or hunt through a cluster of 10,381 buttons for a simple task. Even the voice recognition systems distract the driver to such a degree where it's unsafe. I personally witnessed my friend so frustrated in the voice recognition she had to start pecking through touch screen, swerving, not paying attention to driving. I asked, "WTH are you doing?" Her response, "I'm trying to get the car to read me my texts from my phone."

Really? Tools that are suppose to prevent distracted driving are causing distracted driving. Insane.

I agree the infotainment part of newer cars can be a dangerous distraction from driving......but there are many people and governments looking at completely automatizing the highway/freeway(oxymoron) taking the commute out of human hands....yikes.......that said for me there is no other car that has such a low dash and such a commanding view of the road.The interior appointments can be considered spartan by modern standards.....but the major controls for the business of driving are still super.

You can have any drink while in the passenger seat of my NSX that you want - as long as it is water.

Like others, I, too, feel that the "old" interior is timeless and looks great. Everyone, and I mean everyone, that gets into my NSX thinks it is a newer car. Only after they look at the stereo and notice that it has a tape deck, do they realize it is an older vehicle. Quite frankly, the interior AND exterior of our "old" NSX's is, in my opinion, perfect!

+1 Love for the S2000 interior which is totally driver-focused. But to me the NSX interior is just a bit more comfortable and more interesting visually. The NSX materials feel more up-market as well but one would expect that in a $70K entry level exotic.

Back