No more red light cameras

Could be worse. One of my friends who just moved to Dubai told me that the penalty for running a red light there is $500 plus A WEEK IN JAIL! Second offense is $1000 plus A MONTH in jail! I think after that you just get kicked out of the country.

Good thing they're gone though. Those things are a pain.

I received a red light ticket here in Florida. I just sent it back with a note that I was not driving the car that day. :cool: Never heard a thing back and that was 11 months ago.

Seems there was a problem with who was actually reading the results of the photo. Technically, a cop can only write/interpret the ticet. It turns out Florida outsourced the ticketing to a company in another state so I believe all tickets that were challanged were tossed.:rolleyes:

Usually I don't really care about these things since I follow the law but I got ticketed for a red light camera a while ago. When I got the ticket, I clicked on the link to see the video of my violation. I was making a legal right turn and apparently did not come to a full stop. In my opinion, I did come to a stop. I just didn't stay stopped for 2 seconds or whatever qualifies for a full stop.
I assumed these cameras were meant to stop people from running red lights going straight and not for those making a legal right turn on a red.

Usually I don't really care about these things since I follow the law but I got ticketed for a red light camera a while ago. When I got the ticket, I clicked on the link to see the video of my violation. I was making a legal right turn and apparently did not come to a full stop. In my opinion, I did come to a stop. I just didn't stay stopped for 2 seconds or whatever qualifies for a full stop.
I assumed these cameras were meant to stop people from running red lights going straight and not for those making a legal right turn on a red.

Matt, that didnt happen to be the red light at the corner of Westheimer and 610 (near the Galleria), going west on Westheimer, did it?
Freaking got one there for the same thing. :mad: That intersection is a notorious fine spot.

Such bs.
Cameras are back

City turning red-light cameras back on

The city of Houston will turn its red-light cameras back on today, Mayor Annise Parker announced after this morning’s City Council meeting.
According to a statement from the mayor’s office, tickets will be issued after a “short period of equipment testing.”
Houston voters approved a referendum to turn off the cameras in November, but a federal judge ruled last month that it had been improperly placed on the ballot, rendering the results invalid. As a result, the city faced a choice to turn the cameras back on or canceling its contract with American Traffic Solutions, which could cost the city $16 million.
At the same time, Parker said, the city seek permission for an appeal of the ruling by U.S. District Judge Lynn Hughes in attempt to honor the will of the voters.

/**/

/**/

City turning red-light cameras back on

The city of Houston will turn its red-light cameras back on today, Mayor Annise Parker announced after this morning’s City Council meeting.
According to a statement from the mayor’s office, tickets will be issued after a “short period of equipment testing.”
Houston voters approved a referendum to turn off the cameras in November, but a federal judge ruled last month that it had been improperly placed on the ballot, rendering the results invalid. As a result, the city faced a choice to turn the cameras back on or canceling its contract with American Traffic Solutions, which could cost the city $16 million.
At the same time, Parker said, the city seek permission for an appeal of the ruling by U.S. District Judge Lynn Hughes in attempt to honor the will of the voters.
(function() { var scribd = document.createElement("script"); scribd.type = "text/javascript"; scribd.async = true; scribd.src = "http://www.scribd.com/javascripts/embed_code/inject.js"; var s = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(scribd, s); })();
Hughes ruled that the city charter requires that efforts to overturn an ordinance by referendum must occur within 30 days of an ordinance’s passage.

Red-light camera vendor ATS responded with a statement: “In accordance with Mayor Parker’s announcement, ATS is working to immediately reactivate and fully functionalize Houston’s red light safety cameras. We look forward to resuming work with the City on this important public safety initiative. As we have seen over the course of the last several years, Houston’s red light safety camera program has been successful in changing driver behavior, reducing collisions and ultimately saving lives.”
The council approved the use of red-light cameras in 2004. The referendum did not occur until six years later. The city began citing red-light runners captured on the cameras in September 2006. The system collected nearly $44 million in fines before it was turned off late last year.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7615284.html

Last edited:
Yeah, it's called look at the dates of the posts. ;)

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I really wish they would make a solid decision and just stick with it on these dang red light cameras.

It has been so confusing for me lately when approaching a red light whether I should run it or not, considering the cameras may be on or off.

My vote is for them to stay OFF. That would make my daily commute so much shorter if they were. :cool:

Back