NJ to enforce a drowsy accident law

I recently read in a national newspaper that NJ will begin to prosecute accidents with tiredness or drowsyness as a punishable cause,Now how do you prove that?I can't think of a representative test (such as a breathalizer for etoh )that can prove or disprove fatigue.Plus if you were just in an accident your fight or flight response will be in full force!Wide eyed, and not drowsy anymore.The idea is a noble one but down the slippery slope we go.

docjohn said:
I recently read in a national newspaper that NJ will begin to prosecute accidents with tiredness or drowsyness as a punishable cause,Now how do you prove that?I can't think of a representative test (such as a breathalizer for etoh )that can prove or disprove fatigue.Plus if you were just in an accident your fight or flight response will be in full force!Wide eyed, and not drowsy anymore.The idea is a noble one but down the slippery slope we go.

Typical.. "Big Brother" trying to "hold our hand" again! Here's an idea; how about we all just be punished for everything. Driving sick, driving while eating, driving and talking, driving while chewing gum.. "here's your ticket, sir".. Give me a break! Let's just use common sense and good judgement. Just my .02.

Dave

(Not saying drowsy driving is a good idea.)

another silly NJ law

Docjohn,

Leave it to NJ to think of something silly like that.

Too bad they don't enact laws to revoke licenses of people who drive 55 on a 3 or 4 lane interstate and cause a lot of congestion during rush hour - those people are more likely to be the CAUSE of accidents.

Re: Re: NJ to enforce a drowsy accident law

blown1981 said:
Let's just use common sense and good judgement.

The problem is that there is a percentage of the population that does not have one or both of the above mentioned. So the ones that do have these qualities have to pay for the ones that don't.

Re: Re: Re: NJ to enforce a drowsy accident law

steveny said:
The problem is that there is a percentage of the population that does not have one or both of the above mentioned. So the ones that do have these qualities have to pay for the ones that don't.

VERY, very true!

I would love to hear specifics from someone in NJ about the new law.I'm curious how they intend to enforce this and the penalty.

Back