Nitrous...good or not?

Hi! Thanks for your help on the last post I did! :smile:

I had one more question for you guys. What do you think about nitrous systems? They can be cheap for the HP gain, around $500 for a gain of 50 to 75 horsepower. Would something like this be worth it and also, would it damage my engine?

Hi! Thanks for your help on the last post I did! :smile:

I had one more question for you guys. What do you think about nitrous systems? They can be cheap for the HP gain, around $500 for a gain of 50 to 75 horsepower. Would something like this be worth it and also, would it damage my engine?

Nitrous is for Moooostangs and Camaros. Please don't.:biggrin:

I've been running a Zex dry kit with a 75 shot for over 3 years now with not one problem. I go through 6-10 bottles a year. The torque is unbelievable.

I use to run a 90 shot of nos in my 1991... well the previous owner had it installed and i used it some but not much. i never had any issues. it was on for years. the car run really well. i took it off b/c i wans't using it much. my new nsx has ctsc... the now is more power but the sc is nice but it's always there. if you really want to do something.. start shaving weight off the car :)

Nitrous is a very viable option when loking for horsepower. Most shy away form it because there is a large potential to damage the engine when improperly setup. Nitrous can actually be a great option when looking for a little extra something on the street, whether you're getting on the freeway, hitting a straight on the backroads, or playing with the guy in the vette at the redlight. The good thing about nitrous is you can use it when you want to, you engine is rarely under the added load (unless you always use it).

My recommendation for a street nitrous system is to plan it out thoroughly. Wire in a WOT switch (so it only engages under WOT), wire in an RPM switch (so it only engages above a certain RPM), and wire in a fuel pressure switch (so if you lose fuel pressure for some reason it will disengage rather than lean out your engine and go boom). All of these are great fail-safe methods than can help ensure you won't damage your engine.

Aside from all that its choosing the kit, the shot, plumbing and wiring. I don't know what shot the NSX engines are capable of handling reliably out of the box so research this and be conservative if you are lookng for relible street car. Also, always go with a wet kit (kits that inject nitrous and fuel), dry kits (kits that inject nitrous only) are a waste of time IMO and have more potential to lean out your engine. If you have never plumbed or wired one of the kits, have it done professionally to ensure reliability and an aesthetically appealing installation.

I used not be a fan of nitrous but as I got experience with them I began to see the good in them. There are better routes to go but they are nowhere near as cheap, and when done properly you can have safe, streetable horsepower gains from nitrous.

Nitrous is the shit!!!!!!!! Been running it for 20 years and its great power for the $$$$ Done properly a nitrous setup can give years of reliable power. If you don't have the $$$ for turbo there is really no other way to make the NSX a contender IMO.

Those that talk bad about it don't know what they are talking about plain and simple. Its a gas, that when added with additional fuel makes for more power. There is no black magic about it.

Get it and keep a spare bottle filled, as it never seems to last. Muahahahha

Nitrous is the shit!!!!!!!! Been running it for 20 years and its great power for the $$$$ Done properly a nitrous setup can give years of reliable power. If you don't have the $$$ for turbo there is really no other way to make the NSX a contender IMO.

Those that talk bad about it don't know what they are talking about plain and simple. Its a gas, that when added with additional fuel makes for more power. There is no black magic about it.

Get it and keep a spare bottle filled, as it never seems to last. Muahahahha

Cool, what size shot are you running on your NSX?

I am running a cloned RM 70 shot from days gone by. Basically a NOS 5115 system with a few extra goodies to insure safety. Good for 320 rwhp. I can't complain at all. It is a lot of fun until the botle runs out.

Good luck if you decide to go this route!!

So how many charges would approximately be in a 10 LB Bottle?

Do you mean, how much fun is in the bottle? Maybe 3 to 4 minutes if you use it straight. I never really timed it. You only use it for 10 seconds here and 10 second there. It last a while IMO. Maybe if you are new to it you will burn it up a little faster, but for me, it is easy to conserve and use when I feel the need for speed. I can go weeks or month with out using it. Not a lot of cars to play with in East Tennessee I'm afraid.

I have a 70 nos system, works very well. Makes a hell of a difference in power. What needs to be done to convert to wet with a dry system now? I also have I/H/E and RPS clutch. Thanks in advance veronsx

Back